New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

Kittik  
Posted : Friday, 10 April 2015 11:04:46 AM(UTC)
Kittik

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 9 post(s)
I live on a large block of land that is rumored to have turned up quite a bit of gold 100+ years ago. Theres numerous water springs running under and out at different points.

When we purchased the farm, we were told there was a tomo that had been fenced off on the ridge of one of the paddocks.. I finally got around to looking at it a few weeks back and it wasn't what I expected to find. Basically a perfectly round hole about 4ft across that just goes straight down like a tube, right next to the drop on the gully.

No idea how deep it is, I didn't want to get too close to be honest, but it looks very black.

I'm just wondering if theres anyway of telling if its an old shaft, or just a plain old sinkhole? I looked casually to see if there was any sign of tailings, but its impossible to tell as theres been a lot of stock activity and being next to a gully its probably mostly been washed away anyhow.
oneounce  
Posted : Friday, 10 April 2015 12:27:46 PM(UTC)
oneounce

Medals: Donation: Made a second donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you once again! :)

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 134 time(s) in 52 post(s)
Hi Kittik

Sound like a sharf to me.

You are going to have a lot of friends off this forum very shortly.

All the best
Oneounce

CTX3030
Excalibur 11
Detecknix Xpointer
Gray Ghost Underwater Headphones
Gog Headphones

Detecting - Knowledge is Power
Kittik  
Posted : Friday, 10 April 2015 5:18:36 PM(UTC)
Kittik

New Zealand

Hehe, thanks for the reply oneounce :-)

Its more for curiousity I'm asking than anything else. The hole can maybe fit one person and a ladder at a tight squeeze, but the surrounding soil area is dry and crumbly so theres no way it would be safe for anyone to explore it.

Do you happen to know if reefs and water springs tend to go hand and hand? I've spent some time on the internet trying to find out, but I haven't found any hint of an answer yet. Just wondering if its worth my while digging backwards from where one of the springs seep out on the bottom of the gully.. or digging through the swamp/creeks where the bigger ones come out.
c4bb0ose  
Posted : Friday, 10 April 2015 6:02:27 PM(UTC)
c4bb0ose

Man

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 29 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Kittik Go to Quoted Post
Hehe, thanks for the reply oneounce :-)

Its more for curiousity I'm asking than anything else. The hole can maybe fit one person and a ladder at a tight squeeze, but the surrounding soil area is dry and crumbly so theres no way it would be safe for anyone to explore it.

Do you happen to know if reefs and water springs tend to go hand and hand? I've spent some time on the internet trying to find out, but I haven't found any hint of an answer yet. Just wondering if its worth my while digging backwards from where one of the springs seep out on the bottom of the gully.. or digging through the swamp/creeks where the bigger ones come out.

If we use bucks reef at te aroha as an example it was found because a stream cut right through the middle of it, I do not think water has to be associated with gold deposits it is just that water erodes away anything but gold over time if gold is present and so that was the primary way of finding gold back in the day.
Kittik  
Posted : Friday, 10 April 2015 8:44:17 PM(UTC)
Kittik

New Zealand

I was wondering about the dynamics of it.. assuming that rock doesn't absorb water in the same way as dirt, does that mean it will tend to run and pocket on top of quartz or rock, rather than sit in dirt, clay, etc? Meaning the easiest point of exit will be on top of rock, gravity eroding first the dirt on top of and around it??

I've been doing so much reading in the last few weeks, there seems to be information on everything apart from that. :-/

Eventually curiosity will probably get the better of me, and I'll die accidentally cracking open the side of a dam. 😂
waka  
Posted : Friday, 1 May 2015 4:13:19 PM(UTC)
waka

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)

G'day Kittik.Welcome it sounds interesting.I would try a small charge of some sort.Like dry ice in a bottle{green lemonaide bottle as they are stronger} with small amount of water in it like a teaspoon of water.You say there's a gully near by dig a hole going intowards the shaft as far as you feel safe and drop the bottle in.ONCE the lid is screwed on theres no going back as the expansion is about 400 times plus.Have a play with it dry ice in bottle and throw on the lawn,stand back of cource.
Now to everone I am not a terrorist I tried this after watching an old science teacher many years ago and it reminded me when the dairy cows were getting branded.Iam not saying that it will work but you never know it may open .I will be a loudish bang shotgun loud.Good luck in the name of gold.
kiwikeith  
Posted : Friday, 1 May 2015 5:42:20 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Helped organise get together for Paydirt members and volunteered gold claim for the event (Oct 2013)

Was thanked: 230 time(s) in 154 post(s)
now all this is very interesting
I would say go for it bring in the heavy artillery TNT or such like ,if you are going to blow a hole make sure its a big bugger , its always handy to remain closeby the explosion so as you can see what is happening.
go right to the edge of the hole and drop a stick down wait for the bang if you are close enough you sould be able to hear the explosion echo that will tell you how big the hole really is
hope this helps you understand im an idiot.
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Friday, 1 May 2015 7:05:17 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

Groups: Registered, Moderators
New Zealand

Was thanked: 683 time(s) in 317 post(s)
Contact Auckland Speleo Group (asg.org.nz) They'll tell you if it's a natural tomo. I suspect it's not and more than likely an offal hole or a shaft.
Generally (generally) sinkholes only occur in valleys, not on ridges.

Drop a rock, or metal bucket, down and time how long to the bottom, easily calculate depth.
waka  
Posted : Friday, 1 May 2015 7:05:33 PM(UTC)
waka

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)

Love it we really have to met.hahahah
kiwikeith  
Posted : Friday, 1 May 2015 8:49:19 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Helped organise get together for Paydirt members and volunteered gold claim for the event (Oct 2013)

Was thanked: 230 time(s) in 154 post(s)
hi mudwiggle
if one was to jump down this so called sink hole and find that it is really an offal pit then they may find themselves in the shit so I stand beside what I said and drop a stick down the hole make sure you are standing on the edge so as you can tell what comes out , if it is offal and you get covered in shit then you will know for sure

as for sinkholes I personally find them on ridges , normally rounded ridges. eg check out round the waitomo area
these are not to be mistaken for holes on the top of hill with smoke coming out they are volcanos , do not drop sticks down them.

other holes in the ground in the valleys can be what is known as under runners normally found in area of Louis soils or heavily silted areas
keywikiwi  
Posted : Saturday, 2 May 2015 11:48:27 PM(UTC)
keywikiwi

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 12 post(s)
How about a gopro,torch and surfcaster or a quadcopter cam before you pull out the C4?? just sayin.....recon b4 bgone
Golddigger7  
Posted : Wednesday, 24 June 2015 5:25:25 PM(UTC)
Golddigger7

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
Egypt

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 35 post(s)
Its been a while since my last confession, and this all looks very interesting, could the shaft have been for a well at some stage. Blowing thigs up sounds like a good plan, but I part from a big bang and a tremour or two and dead ducks falling from the sky, it might actually destroy what your looking for. I am willing to enter the hole boots an all, just wicnh me down and back up :-)