New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

Kittik  
Posted : Wednesday, 22 April 2015 12:52:31 PM(UTC)
Kittik

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 9 post(s)
I'm wondering if there is anywhere that I can take a sack or two of quartz to be crushed and or refined (and assayed maybe), as opposed to me either having to buy an expensive crusher or using a dolly pot system which kills my already sore back?

Alternatively, is there anywhere I can send a rock to have the entire process done on it to see if its worth while me buying a crusher? I appear to have struck it lucky by discovering an easy access quartz reef on my property, and I'm trying to work out where to go from from here.

I'll post some pictures of my pretty rocks in a while. Shiny rocks are curiously hard to photograph!
Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Wednesday, 22 April 2015 1:47:24 PM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 322 post(s)
Looking forward to the pics.

MK

tasmangold  
Posted : Wednesday, 22 April 2015 5:34:58 PM(UTC)
tasmangold

New Zealand

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
look up some contractors that do rock crushing in yor area ,there is a few in nz that do it , get them to come in and dig that wonderfull quartz you have and crush it to powder and away you go :)
Kittik  
Posted : Wednesday, 22 April 2015 5:36:20 PM(UTC)
Kittik

New Zealand

Thanks MK, I've posted some pics in the show n tell section here :)
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Wednesday, 22 April 2015 8:55:00 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

Groups: Registered, Moderators
New Zealand

Was thanked: 683 time(s) in 317 post(s)
Contact any of the soils / civil engineering labs, Geotechnics etc. They should have, or know where there is, a jaw crusher available which will do what you want.

Ironically, we just got rid of one for scrap in a big clean up at work (never used in last 20 yrs)
Kittik  
Posted : Wednesday, 22 April 2015 10:26:23 PM(UTC)
Kittik

New Zealand

Originally Posted by: Mudwiggle Go to Quoted Post
Contact any of the soils / civil engineering labs, Geotechnics etc. They should have, or know where there is, a jaw crusher available which will do what you want.

Ironically, we just got rid of one for scrap in a big clean up at work (never used in last 20 yrs)

Haha, isn't that typical! I'm not too far from Thames. I wonder if the school of mines or the Goldfield Experience does anything like that?
My mothers friends hubby is a geologist and her friend said to give him a call. I spoke to him briefly, at the outset you could tell he was less than interested - probably because I'm in Auckland and I'm female.
First question of his was what it was that made me think I might have gold.
He said immediately that I'd probably found Pyrite and that a lot of people mistake it for gold, however I pointed out to him that I'd already found Pyrite and it doesn't have the typical cubic type formation, which woke him up a little bit as I obviously know what Pyrite looks like.
I then went on to mention that back in late 1800s, a goldmining company sent an expert not just to my area, but to my road (which is only 2 kms long) to look for gold which the intention of potentially setting up a mining operation here.
The geologists report concluded that it was definitely gold bearing.. but the mine decided to go to either Hunua or Coromandel - I forget which.. and then told him how I found in a few historical papers that 2 brothers in this area were making a good gold discoveries.
At that point, he finally woke up and asked me what base rock we had, when I replied with Basalt his ears pricked up and told me to send him several samples. I dropped into conversation at that point about how I crushed a cinnabar rock a couple of weeks ago, and ended up with mercury balls rolling around in the pan. Finally I got some interest and enthusiasm from him, and possibly a bit of respect.

*sigh*
Honesty sometimes people can be hard work. I assume he thought I was a dumb blonde who found a shiny rock and immediately thought I had found gold.. or a dumb blonde who watches far too much Gold Rush or whatever that tv show is (can you tell I don't watch it?)
Ok, rant over. But sometimes as a female in a mans world, its very hard to get taken seriously, and its so damned annoying.

I'll send him some samples, his specialty is taking small slices and analyzing it under a microscope. Unsure what samples to send though, as the mineral here is so varied.. I've got a couple of small rocks that have pink toned gold running through the veins, obviously some amalgam from the bright pink manganese lol
sycotoad  
Posted : Thursday, 23 April 2015 11:47:48 AM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Was thanked: 126 time(s) in 97 post(s)
You sound like the perfect woman to me - lol

I hope it goes well for you :)

I cannot offer any advice for I am merely a detectorist but found your post/knowledge enlightening - thanks for sharing
Makro - Nokta - deteknix - GoldFinder