New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

sweetsummer1  
Posted : Thursday, 23 April 2015 6:03:09 PM(UTC)
sweetsummer1

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Hi all,

I recently bought a very cheap metal detector from Jaycar ($80). It works fine for what I need it for but the only issue is that it doesn't have any information regarding the technology used. Judging by the price it won't be a PI type but I have no clue how to differentiate between FLV and BFO.

I tried the store/website/distributor but none of them have a clue on what type of metal detector it is. I had a look at the circuit inside the contol box but it doesn't provide much information.

Does anyone know if it possible to know which type it is ?
Cheers
c4bb0ose  
Posted : Thursday, 23 April 2015 8:27:20 PM(UTC)
c4bb0ose

Man

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 29 post(s)
Originally Posted by: sweetsummer1 Go to Quoted Post
Hi all,

I recently bought a very cheap metal detector from Jaycar ($80). It works fine for what I need it for but the only issue is that it doesn't have any information regarding the technology used. Judging by the price it won't be a PI type but I have no clue how to differentiate between FLV and BFO.

I tried the store/website/distributor but none of them have a clue on what type of metal detector it is. I had a look at the circuit inside the contol box but it doesn't provide much information.

Does anyone know if it possible to know which type it is ?
Cheers

For the price it is probably a BFO see this http://www.ehow.com/list...pes-metal-detectors.html for more info.
sweetsummer1  
Posted : Thursday, 23 April 2015 8:36:15 PM(UTC)
sweetsummer1

New Zealand

Hi there,

Yea I think its a BFO. The only difference between the two types is in the filtering which is hard to determine. Sadly I need to determine which type it is.

By the way, do you know how much a cheap FLV detector would cost?

Cheers