New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

Hubi  
Posted : Tuesday, 5 May 2015 8:39:41 PM(UTC)
Hubi

Groups: Registered

Hi, I'm so new to this I don't even have my own equipment....I was just wondering if there are any Hamiltonians around? I would love to have a go at it before spending too much money, just to make sure it is the right thing for me. Kids are getting older, so (not much) more time for hobbies again.
c4bb0ose  
Posted : Tuesday, 5 May 2015 11:46:51 PM(UTC)
c4bb0ose

Man

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 29 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Hubi Go to Quoted Post
Hi, I'm so new to this I don't even have my own equipment....I was just wondering if there are any Hamiltonians around? I would love to have a go at it before spending too much money, just to make sure it is the right thing for me. Kids are getting older, so (not much) more time for hobbies again.

I'm in Hamilton but I have not been detecting outside of my current rental place. Hopefully someone else will chime in as to the do's and donts like concil permission etc for parks (Been busy and have not had the time to ask them).
creamer  
Posted : Friday, 8 May 2015 1:06:11 PM(UTC)
creamer

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 525 time(s) in 391 post(s)
Hi guys.
There are most probably no restictions on the parks in your area. Hamiltons a big place so there must be plenty of places to go.
I would just go detecting maybe early in the morning or late in the afternoon when theres not many people around. This makes it easier as kids can soon become a prob but not a major one.
You may get challenged by the odd local but thats normal. If you find yourself in question just polightly move on to another location.
Now is a good time as the ground is softening up making plug digging easier.
Always remember to fill your holes correctly and have a good time.

Good luck and happy hunting out there.

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
catseye  
Posted : Friday, 8 May 2015 5:22:10 PM(UTC)
catseye

New Zealand

hi I am new to metal detecting. I bought a metal detector for my 70th birthday.
Hamilton parks and reserves - recently while metal detecting on a Hamilton public park I was moved on by a police constable and told by the constable that I needed Council permission to metal detect on Hamilton parks. I applied to the Council for permission. this was declined citing the Health and Saftey Act. officialdom are using this act a little too freely these days.
Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Friday, 8 May 2015 5:59:44 PM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 322 post(s)
Originally Posted by: catseye Go to Quoted Post
Hamilton parks and reserves - recently while metal detecting on a Hamilton public park I was moved on by a police constable and told by the constable that I needed Council permission to metal detect on Hamilton parks. I applied to the Council for permission. this was declined citing the Health and Saftey Act. officialdom are using this act a little too freely these days.

Unfortunate situation. Did they say which part of the Health n safety act?

MK

c4bb0ose  
Posted : Friday, 8 May 2015 6:09:14 PM(UTC)
c4bb0ose

Man

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 29 post(s)
Originally Posted by: catseye Go to Quoted Post

Funny, in Invercargill they cited the reserve and national parks act for denying me permission. Despite the fact neither of them said normal parks in the actual laws themselves. Basically I was allowed to metal detect but if I broke the sod at any point I could be fined up to 100k (Defeats the purpose of metal detecting of course lol).

I would ring them up and ask again, I think they just try to say things to get you to stop inquiring. Personally I cannot see how health and saftey has anything to do with it, unless it has something to do with the plugs causing "ankle injuries" :P, if they tried to charge you they would have to prove that the plugs cause ankle injuries and they would be spending well over 100-500k to get a plausible study created and even then it would not get ethical approval because you cannot rig a park to potentially cause ankle injuries. Still sounds like a bunch of bullocks if you ask me.

Edited by user Friday, 8 May 2015 6:12:01 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified