New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

Ronnie  
Posted : Wednesday, 6 May 2015 6:07:50 PM(UTC)
Ronnie

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Hi everyone

Some you may have seen one of my previous posts to this forum website. I am a rookie to metal detecting, and have been trying to get it all sussed out to be able to use one for an experiment in a few weeks time. I am borrowing a metal detector from someone and have been hoping to trial using it to detect some nuts (ie nuts and bolts) in the ground. I have been doing a few preliminary trials by detecting the nuts while they are sitting on the soil surface, before going onto trials where I will bury them (I was told it should make no difference if the nuts are buried or not). I having problems with detecting the nuts with the coil at anything more than about 15 cm above them, yet I have been advised that I should be able to detect them at around 30 cm depth.

I was wondering if anyone around Christchurch would be willing to meet up with me and show me if there is anything that I might be doing wrong, and/or trial with their own detector how deep they can detect the nuts that I am looking at using, so I know if the machine that I am using is faulty.

Cheers!

Edited by user Wednesday, 6 May 2015 6:08:41 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

The Hatter  
Posted : Wednesday, 6 May 2015 7:56:24 PM(UTC)
The Hatter

New Zealand

Was thanked: 320 time(s) in 125 post(s)
Well Ronnie

It might help if you tell the guys what Detector you are actually using.

Cheers Trev aka " The Hatter"
Ronnie  
Posted : Wednesday, 6 May 2015 9:24:35 PM(UTC)
Ronnie

New Zealand

Hi Trev

Thanks for pointing that out!

I am using a 'Garrett AT Pro'
shaneE  
Posted : Friday, 8 May 2015 11:59:50 AM(UTC)
shaneE

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
I have used the garret before check the iron mask is off try some non ferrous targets like copper,brass,etc the discrimmination scale goes to 100 nuts and bolts are on the low end try a bit of everything in a row to get an idea of what the high and low tones sound like and there numeral value.good luck and happy hunting
shaneE  
Posted : Friday, 8 May 2015 12:06:10 PM(UTC)
shaneE

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
About depth try adusting sensitivity settings if u can also dry soil gives a weaker sigal as the conductivity is diminished ive ony used the at pro a couple times good machines though i went with the minelab 705
Ronnie  
Posted : Friday, 8 May 2015 12:58:32 PM(UTC)
Ronnie

New Zealand

Hi ShaneE

I've read the manual cover to cover a few times, so wherever I (or the machine?) am going wrong isn't something as simple as the iron discrimintation -I've got that turned off, and have tried with varying sensitivities, with even maximum sensitivity not picking up the targets above 15cm depth. However, I am new to this, so there may be a slight tone or something that I am not hearing correctly.. Would you recommend using a headset while using the machine? All of the photos in the manual, and a lot that I have seen online, have shown people wearing earphones while using the metal detector, but there weren't any with the machine I was using. I am wondering if that is likely to make a difference in hearing some of the tones when the signal is weaker (for deeper targets)?
Interesting what you said about the soil being dry -I haven't heard that before!

creamer  
Posted : Friday, 8 May 2015 1:12:35 PM(UTC)
creamer

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 525 time(s) in 391 post(s)
Hi Ronnie
Sounds like the detector is working ok. How big are the nuts and bolts you are using. Bigger targets are easier to detect especially at depth.

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
Ronnie  
Posted : Friday, 8 May 2015 1:31:00 PM(UTC)
Ronnie

New Zealand

Hi creamer
The main problem I have been experiencing is that I have only been able to detect the targets (nuts of 10 or 12 mm thread diameter) to about 10-15 cm depth, whereas I need to be able to find them at up to 30 cm depth and have been told that the device should be able to find them at that depth (by someone else on the forum that also has a Garrett At Pro).

We have decided in the last 24 hours to use ball bearings rather than nuts (there will be cattle where I will be running my trial, and though it is unlikely that a cows hoof would be damaged by a nut, a ball bearing is even less likely to cause damage), so I am now looking at using ~20 mm diameter ball bearings as targets.
Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Friday, 8 May 2015 1:40:40 PM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 322 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Ronnie Go to Quoted Post
Hi creamer
The main problem I have been experiencing is that I have only been able to detect the targets (nuts of 10 or 12 mm thread diameter) to about 10-15 cm depth, whereas I need to be able to find them at up to 30 cm depth and have been told that the device should be able to find them at that depth (by someone else on the forum that also has a Garrett At Pro).

We have decided in the last 24 hours to use ball bearings rather than nuts (there will be cattle where I will be running my trial, and though it is unlikely that a cows hoof would be damaged by a nut, a ball bearing is even less likely to cause damage), so I am now looking at using ~20 mm diameter ball bearings as targets.

What about round lead fishing sinkers. Easy target to find usually.

MK

Ronnie  
Posted : Friday, 8 May 2015 1:47:12 PM(UTC)
Ronnie

New Zealand

Lead has been considered but was deemed not to be appropriate as it has a risk of environmental issues, as the trial will be on farmland, draining to waterways and of course there is a possibility that we might not recover all of the targets.
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Friday, 8 May 2015 10:47:10 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

Groups: Registered, Moderators
New Zealand

Was thanked: 683 time(s) in 317 post(s)
Definitely use phones - minimises external noise and allows better detection (forgive the pun) of the fainter tones.

Re: Lead, as far as I'm aware, once the surface oxidises to the dull matt grey, the exposed metal is fairly stable.
Three or four of the old 2c pieces soldered together will whack out a decent tone.

If you have trouble finding 2c pieces, I'm sure everyone on here has a bucket or two of them!
Ronnie  
Posted : Saturday, 9 May 2015 12:36:37 AM(UTC)
Ronnie

New Zealand

Thanks for your wealth of information on this and my other topics on the website Mudwiggle!

I am waiting to hear back on if the head phones can be tracked down. Have talked to who I'm borrowing the detector from, and they weren't in the box, so they're asking the last person who used them. Hopefully they turn up, as it is not a standard audio jack, so I can't use my own.. (as I'm sure everyone on here knows!).

If that's not successful, will bring up lead again with my supervisor, but I don't think that it will pass..
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Saturday, 9 May 2015 2:13:52 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

New Zealand

it is not a standard audio jack, so I can't use my own..

Most $2 shops will have a 1/4" to 3.5mm adapter (You're not after gold plated contacts for this), if not try Noel Leeming/Dick Smith etc

As support for your argument regarding Pb targets, You're going to be GPSing them (and I think you mentioned even surveying them in).
GPS with GLONASS and averaged waypoint will put you with an EPE of around 2m, less if you refix the positions the following day with a new constellation - as for surveying them in, you're talking millimetres.

I frequently find lead sinkers at ridiculous depths (And I'm not even looking for them :), unless you're talking swamps, then I would expect a 98+% recovery. Any you don't find are likely to have sunk to a depth where they are unlikely to ever see the light of day again.

If artificial vertical movement due to the higher density is a concern, a couple of standards right beside the fenceline out of the way of the stock will give you a correction factor. I'd put one at crest of slope (likely to have minimum to zero movement), and either end of transect mid slope.
You could also put a protected one in the middle of the transect line as a good, solid control (four Y Posts wrapped in barbed wire around it should keep the bovine beasties at bay and stop them jumping up and down on it)

Ronnie  
Posted : Sunday, 10 May 2015 8:04:03 PM(UTC)
Ronnie

New Zealand

Originally Posted by: Mudwiggle Go to Quoted Post
it is not a standard audio jack, so I can't use my own..

Most $2 shops will have a 1/4" to 3.5mm adapter

Does your Garrett have a 1/4" jack?? Here's a pic of mine. I have a 1/4" to 3.5mm adapter for my stereo- but I think it's not going to do the trick here! ;)
Garrett audio jack

We'll be surveying them in with a total station -so it will be accurate to approx a centimeter (or less? don't have the accuracy for this at hand). This doesn't mean that we know where they'll end up though! If one gets stuck between the cloves of a cow's hoof, then falls out 100m away, we might not be able to locate it. So surveying them in wont help with this!
The plan is to put short horizontal transects at selected positions (angle/shape) on the slope, and we will be using approx 2ha in the corner of a 6ha paddock with cattle in it, and comparing soil (ball) movement at different slope angles and different parts of the slope, such as convex (crest) and concave (toe). The crest of the slope is actually highly likely to move, and is expected to have the highest net movement, as there is no soil coming from above it as the soil creeps down slope. Further down the slope, soil will also move downhill, but will be replaced by soil that was above it, so while soil TRANSPORT occurs, soil EROSION does not as net soil volume (is expected to) change very little. Meanwhile, it is considered that erosion does occur at the crest of the slope, as net soil changes. Also, given that we will have cattle walking around, I think that we will get quite a high degree of movement on all parts of the slope (though the degree of movement is likely to be different) -and this is what we're trying to measure. How much accelerated movement the cattle and winter crop grazing system causes, relative to pasture.
Your idea for putting some posts around one of the ball bearings is good, but it doesn't account for the soil level potentially changing though deposition of soil coming from uphill, or overland flow of water eroding the surface, therefore changing the reference level.. Beside the fence will have grass rather than exposed soil, so I would expect that their roots would prevent any vertical movement. It is a good idea though, and is perhaps something that I can test in the lab with some soil samples :)
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Sunday, 10 May 2015 9:14:50 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

New Zealand

Ahh...Sorry, got my detectors mixed up.
This is what you want... Not cheap, but the extra sound clarity over the speaker is worth it.

EDIT: Would help if I actually attached the link :)
Headphone Adaptor

MW

Edited by user Sunday, 10 May 2015 9:16:56 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

chchnuggetdetect  
Posted : Friday, 22 May 2015 5:06:26 AM(UTC)
chchnuggetdetect

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I am in chch if you would like me to take a look on a sunday evening in hagley park, I can compare to GBPro or Minelab PI (PI are better depth but not good if you are finding lot of rubbish metal as well). You should test away from mains sources eg park lights and houses though less problem when not homemade detector.

I would suggest you make some circles out of copper wire, that would be easier to find and discriminate. Aluminium cans are very hard to miss.
Solid items harder to find than rings due to rings eddy currents. You can go deeper with bigger detector coils and also with PI (some Minelab) but at expense of target ID.

Keep posting your detecting and geology discovery, preferably on the same thread which makes it easy to Watch

Is it a university project or what