New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

pc5001  
Posted : Wednesday, 6 May 2015 9:13:44 PM(UTC)
pc5001

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Hey swingers,just an idea for an outing. I spent over 20 years in the ski industry and used to supplement my meager wages in the spring time by keeping my eyes down...There was good money to be made if you looked in the right place.Skiers forget to zip their pockets up and learners especially, fall often spilling coins down the trail.Detectorists that enjoy a day in the mountains should head to any of the bigger commercial ski areas ,many are on conservation land or national park and have good access.If you do,swing your detector around lift loading and unloading areas,learners trails,under chairlifts,around lift towers,in front of the cafe or ticket office you could find anything from coins to ....well anything really...I never had a detector in those days but these days have a gold bug 2 but I try to find gold with it ,not coins so havnt been swinging the bug at the local ski field but there might be a few of you north island guys a long way from any nuggets that could give it a go. Late spring through summers the best and if anybody questions you,tell them you lost your wedding ring around that area last winter.
gavin  
Posted : Wednesday, 6 May 2015 10:48:31 PM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Good advice - thanks for sharing :)
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Wednesday, 6 May 2015 11:05:57 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

Groups: Registered, Moderators
New Zealand

Was thanked: 683 time(s) in 317 post(s)
Absolutely! My mate and I used to do Ruapehu climbs several times a year, always did the spring climbs under the lift routes coming back with $10, $20 dollar bills, watches, the occasional camera, necklace and one gold ring... Found way more cam batteries than cameras though. Not detecting, but on the same line - a quick walk around pub carparks on a Sunday morning can be very lucrative too. Best haul I've had was $120 in notes scattered around the fenceline in one visit.
simon  
Posted : Thursday, 7 May 2015 9:37:07 AM(UTC)
simon

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
I live near the ski fields and thought of that a couple of summers back. never did get up there for a look as there was late snow. A few things made me never bother getting there, namely i thought i was better off looking for gold. might be still worth a shot.
The remarks skilled is just so steep in many places under the lifts. barren rock does make it easy to see the ground. apart from the barren rock there are also boulders with huge spaces around so not so good there for detecting. A fair bit of rubbish and old crap from ski operations like wire and plastic but not much more.
coronet i think is a better shot but is mostly all big tussocks so not easiest detecting either. a lot of wire from ski passes, plastic cards, rubbish in general. a lot of tourists head here but now also a lot of people go there in the summer months, walking and mountain biking. really you are just looking for what has become hidden in the tussocks, the open ground finds have been easily picked up.

The beaches have been suggested many times to me also. Trouble is our 'beaches' are heavy gravel. even in busier spots the dropped goods generally stay on the surface and are easily spotted by the next beach goer. a lot of bottle tops and a few fishing lures and weights and a lot of old rusted crap is the norm. snorkelling might be a better option where its not too deep. gold ball retrieval springs to mind in one locations and i have seen this done with good results.

On the topic of detecting i would suggest doing your research so you don't become a laugh at others expense. an example is a local spot here where i often see guys with great detectors, especially after floods. unfortunately the spot has just fine gold. anyone that has put in much time there can tell you that. there just isn't anything of a size detectable there. sure down beyond everyones reach is probably the bigger stuff but the fact is flood gold won't detect unless perhaps you hit a big patch. i know someone that had this principle of detecting patches of fine gold, in the same spot. no luck. i am guessing there would need to be a fair concentration to be detectable, esp against the background black sands.

So, back to the ski fields - if you are keen for that i would suggest, like gold, finding the steepest sections where others have been too lazy to walk. you would need to run the detector around the base of the tussocks and over them too as they are good at catching things and they slide in towards the plant centre. a lot of work compared to open ground detecting.

Good luck to anyone that gives it a shot.