New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

overdog  
Posted : Tuesday, 26 May 2015 8:42:22 PM(UTC)
overdog

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 68 post(s)
Gentlemen I have a problem.

I know of a claim that expired 6 months ago. Somebody has applied to take over said claim so although its technically anybodys ground until the permit gets approved, Im not sure how I would feel about somebody sluicing/detecting on a claim Id put hard work and a shitload of money into,even though its not official yet.

Knowing somebody has applied for a claim but its not official yet-would you go for a fossick?
gixer24  
Posted : Tuesday, 26 May 2015 9:11:27 PM(UTC)
gixer24

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Well obviously it would be wrong, both because you know someone has applied to mine the area and because you're not supposed be fossicking where ever you see fit regardless of another persons claim.

Surely the thrill of finding your own 'secret' location and reaping the rewards outweighs the moral dilemma one would face behaving in this manner. But thats just my two cents :)
The Hatter  
Posted : Tuesday, 26 May 2015 9:34:10 PM(UTC)
The Hatter

New Zealand

Was thanked: 320 time(s) in 125 post(s)
Hi Overdog

Its a no go area, mate. Once the claim application is received by PAM, the ground is locked. Even the applicant can't do anything, well legally, until the Permit is granted with the required consents.

Cheers Trev aka " The Hatter"
FossickFester  
Posted : Tuesday, 26 May 2015 9:35:36 PM(UTC)
FossickFester

New Zealand

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Hi bud, I reckon your best bet would be to try and contact the potential claim owner and see if you can do some panning/sluicing when (or if) they get approval. I've learnt from the good people on here who own claims that I have asked, is that if you have had the decency to contact them first and ask, chances are they will allow it and I haven't (thankfully) been refused. :)
overdog  
Posted : Thursday, 28 May 2015 9:47:19 PM(UTC)
overdog

Man

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 68 post(s)
The forum has spoken. Ground is locked.