New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

The Hatter  
Posted : Tuesday, 26 May 2015 10:41:42 PM(UTC)
The Hatter

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Was thanked: 320 time(s) in 125 post(s)
My name is Samuel Nathias O'toole. I am 98 years of age, and in my younger days I was a goldminer. I am narrating this story to my most lovely nurse, Nurse Sandy. And have asked her to pass my tales of adventure and prospecting on, to younger men. Sadly my days are numbered, and I have memory lapses, but that goes with old age. However I am of sound mind and body. For now anyway.

In my prospecting days I found many creeks that contained gold, but none as rich, as, what I came to call " My Creek" for some reason it was never found by those that went before me. But find it I did. The gold sparkled at my feet, all I needed was a knife to prize that treasured metal out of the bedrock On a good day I could fill half a Baking Soda Tin. On a bad day, drat only a quarter of the tin. The gold was of a scaly nature, somewhat thick, but flattened. Many bits weighed in at 10 pennyweight or slightly more. But most were around the 5 pennyweight size.

It was a long walk into " My Creek" but the track and location is etched in my mind. Never to be forgotten. I always lived alone and felt no need to take a women or have children. But I must confess, that when I found " My Creek" I was actually lost. I was prospecting in very rough country indeed. However Nurse Sandy now tells me that a tar seal highway is nearby. Oh how things have changed over the years.

I dropped into the gulley by accident, well actually I slipped on a tree stump, and took a bit of a slide. And down I went. Tumble tumble, slide, slide. It was not indeed an elegant sight as I took the fall, and I am lucky I did not have a female companion with me, for I fear her skirts would have flared in the most in opportune and ungracefull descent, and all would have been revealed. I must admit tho that on occasions Nurse Sandy does bend over to change my, oh well piddle bag, and I do get a very marvelous sight indeed. What a pity she wasn't with me that day.
What a cracker it would have been.

Oh well I must go now. Nurse Sandy has been so busy writting, but she must attend to the other more needing folk here. I hope to get back to you tomorrow

May God Bless you All

Samuel
geoff  
Posted : Friday, 29 May 2015 4:19:29 PM(UTC)
geoff

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Sam my man

You may be supprised to hear (through the ever so nice nurse Sandy) you have a writing style similar to a youngster called Trev> Perchance you have a youngster? I have become a fan of roads gaining access to spots. But then again I am just plain lazy.

Geoff