New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

under the bedrock  
Posted : Monday, 1 June 2015 3:58:23 PM(UTC)
under the bedrock

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)
hi all.I currently have a gold bug and find that it is not much use on wet sand as it falses out all the time and I need to have the sensitivity turned down to minimise this which makes it almost a waste of time on the sand.

So I am looking for a detector that will handle the wet sand and still give me some depth.Ive heard the AT pro is ok on the sand.Is this so?What price do these go for or what other makes/models are good on a beach

TIA
c4bb0ose  
Posted : Tuesday, 2 June 2015 2:42:45 PM(UTC)
c4bb0ose

Man

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 29 post(s)
Originally Posted by: under the bedrock Go to Quoted Post
hi all.I currently have a gold bug and find that it is not much use on wet sand as it falses out all the time and I need to have the sensitivity turned down to minimise this which makes it almost a waste of time on the sand.

So I am looking for a detector that will handle the wet sand and still give me some depth.Ive heard the AT pro is ok on the sand.Is this so?What price do these go for or what other makes/models are good on a beach

TIA

If I recall correctly you want a Pulse Induction (PI) or Very Low Frequency (VLF) detector. http://whatmetaldetector...m/beach-metal-detectors/

You are right about the AT-Pro.
Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Tuesday, 2 June 2015 3:30:46 PM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 322 post(s)
Originally Posted by: c4bb0ose Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: under the bedrock Go to Quoted Post

TIA

If I recall correctly you want a Pulse Induction (PI) or Very Low Frequency (VLF) detector. http://whatmetaldetector...m/beach-metal-detectors/

You are right about the AT-Pro.

Before you spend your cash UTB check out an E Trac by Minelab. I used one for 5 years on land,sand and mudflat with no issues. Found heaps. Just upgraded to a CTX but keeping the ET as my backup / guest machine.

MK
www.detectnz.co.nz
sycotoad  
Posted : Tuesday, 2 June 2015 5:25:20 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Was thanked: 126 time(s) in 97 post(s)
I have also in stock -

Makro Racer Pro Package (2 coil + lots accessories)

Nokta Fors CoRe Pro Package (3 coils + lots accessories)

Both with the latest in techology and design - Deep - Sensitive - Great on both dry and wet sand

Also I have found after using a Racer, if you are coming from Fisher/Teknetics units then the languages are very similar so your learning curve will be shorter - In fact its easy

I also have the waterproof pointers for both
www.earthscan.co.nz or flick me a PM and I can get some info sent out to you

Cheers

Edited by user Tuesday, 2 June 2015 5:27:03 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Makro - Nokta - deteknix - GoldFinder
under the bedrock  
Posted : Tuesday, 2 June 2015 8:09:22 PM(UTC)
under the bedrock

Metal Kiwi
'Before you spend your cash UTB check out an E Trac by Minelab. I used one for 5 years on land,sand and mudflat with no issues. Found heaps. Just upgraded to a CTX but keeping the ET as my backup / guest machine.'

Thanks for the link I will keep that as an option,coud be a bit pricey for me might have to sell some toys first.
under the bedrock  
Posted : Tuesday, 2 June 2015 8:14:31 PM(UTC)
under the bedrock

sycotoad.

thanks mate plenty of options now.I need to do some research ect.

I like your website www.earthscan.co.nz as well.
sycotoad  
Posted : Tuesday, 2 June 2015 9:01:16 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Thanks UTB -

There seems to be quite a few options when it comes to getting the right gear for the job these days -

Good luck with your research and I am sure you will do well with your selection -
andy  
Posted : Tuesday, 2 June 2015 10:51:40 PM(UTC)
andy

Australia

Was thanked: 88 time(s) in 72 post(s)
sycotoad do you have a standard package for the fors core?
ATpro
ACE250
GC1010
teknetics Eurotek Pro
sycotoad  
Posted : Wednesday, 3 June 2015 4:28:27 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Hi Andy - At this stage I only have the Pro Packs, which represent great value - The small coil is being tauted as the best small coil detector combo currently on the market - I am sure that those who purchase a Fors CoRe or Racer will eventually want the sniper coil to compliment their unit so that is one reason I stock Pro Packs -

I can however order a standard pack in Andy or I could work with you on a discounted price for the Pro Package - Either way I am here to put quality gear into the hands of addicted hunters -

Flick me an email - PM or catch me up at www.earthscan.co.nz

I WILL work in with Paydirt members in bringing you discounted prices where possible - TIA
Roysolder  
Posted : Friday, 3 July 2015 8:01:10 AM(UTC)
Roysolder

New Zealand

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi guys, I'm new here but wanted to say I have made several purchases from sycotoad and have been more than happy I did! The makro gear is well presented to a high standard and performs greater than my expectations , sycotoad goes out of his way to satisfy all customer needs.
I bought a trx pinpointer but prefer the makro for the strong signal and vibration and seems to have as much depth.
Anyway a big thanks sycotoad.
Regards Roy
sycotoad  
Posted : Friday, 3 July 2015 8:49:46 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Hey no worries Roy - I am positive you will enjoy your new Racer setup as you are well aware both Makro/Nokta products & performance are easily right up there with the best -

I know you will enjoy using the Makro Racer - Thank you again for your custom

Welcome to Paydirt
shaneE  
Posted : Thursday, 9 July 2015 2:24:50 PM(UTC)
shaneE

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Hey i use the xterra 705 works great on beach wet or dry its got the beach mode and constantly ground balances so no false signals,have a mate with the garret at pro he says its not too good on the wet sand,and the xterra is good value for money get the duel pack with the 7.5kh and 18.5kh coils ,covers all bases.
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Thursday, 9 July 2015 2:41:17 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

Groups: Registered, Moderators
New Zealand

Was thanked: 683 time(s) in 317 post(s)
I've had no issues on salt sand with the ATP though. Secret is to manually GB, and work parallel to the water - Rebalance anytime you move up or down the beach and when the beach composition changes (sand to shells to shingle etc)
Only really twitchy bit is in the active wave area, but once the coil is submersed about a foot or 18" it settles down.

The smaller coil the better on beaches with the ATP. My big 15" NEL gets tetchy below the high tide mark.

There are much better beach machines than the ATP though!

If you do 30% or less of your hunting on the beach, then I'd consider the ATP as a potential option.
Your beach geology will also influence this, if you have a lot of black sands, then you may be out of luck.

But I infinitely prefer the Excal...

Edited by user Thursday, 9 July 2015 2:47:58 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified