New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

x-terra steve  
Posted : Friday, 7 May 2010 3:48:28 PM(UTC)
x-terra steve

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Hi all,

when it comes time to pan out the days effort with the sulice box or dredge ect a good trick is to place a small square piece of matting in stream or river ect to catch the tailings out of your pan.

Once you have finshed panning all you need to do is to shake the matting side to side while still in the water to remove 95% of the tailings.

Rewash the small amount of tailings left on the matting back into the pan and re-pan off to collect any gold that has accidentally been discarded in you first panning.

If you have spent a day digging and putting the paydirt into the sulice box allow yourself at least 20 minutes to pan off the final days catch.

Happy digging
gavin  
Posted : Saturday, 8 May 2010 2:14:35 AM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Hi Steve,

Always wondered how much I might be potentially loosing... how much do you typically find this way?

Cheers,
Gavin
x-terra steve  
Posted : Saturday, 8 May 2010 2:41:59 PM(UTC)
x-terra steve

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Hi Gavin,

If you havent done much in the way of panning it can be a good way to see where you are at.

If I have spent a couple of days or so putting a lot of paydirt into the sulice or drtedg I all ways clean up with a matt to repan the small amount of material that you are left with.

The Warehouse sell the plastic spagetti weave door matt at around $20.00 which works a treat.

Cheers Steve

gavin  
Posted : Saturday, 8 May 2010 4:49:28 PM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Ah, the old trusted plastic spaghetti weave door mats... I cut up one of these to use as miners moss in my sluice box - seems to work very well :) Might invest in a second one now to try your technique!
kiwijw  
Posted : Friday, 14 May 2010 12:28:36 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)

Edited by user Saturday, 9 July 2011 3:40:11 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified