New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

2 Pages12>
under the bedrock  
Posted : Wednesday, 24 August 2011 12:32:11 PM(UTC)
under the bedrock

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)
i have an old garrett (freedom ace plus) and find coins and junk whenever i use it but when i go to our local beach i never find much apart from a few bottle tops near the surface.
The beach allows cars on it and it the summer is packed with people.
Whenever i detect there i never find any coins and am beginning to think the coins must sink really deep.
So just wondering how far you guys generally find your coins?
nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Wednesday, 24 August 2011 12:35:37 PM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 384 time(s) in 329 post(s)
well i know myself and rgmcbrid went to some of the beaches here in CHCH and found coins anywhere from 3 to 6 inches deep...but havnt done alot of beach detecting yet so not real experianced with it..just wanted to give the depth of the coins i found.
Chris - Fisher Dealer http://www.puiakisupply.co.nz/
rgmcbrid  
Posted : Wednesday, 24 August 2011 1:05:33 PM(UTC)
rgmcbrid

Man

Was thanked: 180 time(s) in 140 post(s)
I think the trouble with beach sand is that it does a considerable amount of moving around. Others on here have talked about detecting when a storm pulls the sand off the beach. My guess is the coins are heavier than the sand and do not blow or wash around as easily so if the sand leaves they sit in a layer on or near the surface, and when the sand returns they become a buried layer.
Shilo  
Posted : Wednesday, 24 August 2011 2:09:03 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
The coins will slowly sink in the sand even if undisturbed because of gravity until they come up to a layer of the same or more density. Then they will stay there until disturbed. Thus above the high tide mark they could slowly sink a matter of metres until they come across hard packed shell or sand or bedrock etc.

Storms will come in cut away the sand and wash them out then redistribute them around. Because this things of similar weight will end up accumulating in the same area thus the term "Coin Lines" etc that are used. And its the reason that if there are a lot of sinkers in a area the chance of gold is very high.

My best beach finds have been when the sand has eroded away by either wave action or rain wash out down to the bed rock / clay. At these times the area is literally carpeted with coins and the detector is going off constantly.

under the bedrock  
Posted : Wednesday, 24 August 2011 2:31:04 PM(UTC)
under the bedrock

interesting.
All those vids on youtube ect show people detecting in normal conditions or is it possible the beach has a compacted layer a few inches below the sand.
The beach i go to is on the south coast and has alot of wild storms,winds but i have never noticed any major erosion or sand shifting except in summer when the n/wers deposit loads of sand on the road entrance.
tonznz  
Posted : Wednesday, 24 August 2011 3:36:22 PM(UTC)
tonznz

Medals: Donation: Made a second donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you once again! :)

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 152 post(s)
I'm down to St Kilda St Clair beaches, Dunedin today low tide 5.24pm. Massive undercutting along the two beaches. Its usually the best time for me when beaches have undercutting. I'll let you know how I get on.{ Using my minelab sovereign GT}
creamer  
Posted : Wednesday, 24 August 2011 5:30:39 PM(UTC)
creamer

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 525 time(s) in 391 post(s)
Coin lines, that seams right. Most of my finds on the beach are around the same line. Ranging from a couple of inches too wot seems like neally half a meter. Most are down about a foot down in the dryer sand where it meats a layer of 3 inch wet black sand then wet grey sand from there.

Shane
Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
Shilo  
Posted : Wednesday, 24 August 2011 6:48:26 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
Originally Posted by: under the bedrock Go to Quoted Post
interesting.
All those vids on youtube ect show people detecting in normal conditions or is it possible the beach has a compacted layer a few inches below the sand.
The beach i go to is on the south coast and has alot of wild storms,winds but i have never noticed any major erosion or sand shifting except in summer when the n/wers deposit loads of sand on the road entrance.

For most of the overseas vids I have seen they are hunting recent drops. Modern coins and jewellery that were dropped that day or the day before. The encrusted jewellery and old coins that are sometimes shown are found either after a storm has shuffled things around or in areas that have eroded away.

I find it hard to spot erosion on an ocean beach unless it is obvious like a cut etc. By just glancing at a beach it is very hard to say if the sand has built up or eroded away unless there is something like a rock outcrop or wooden pile to compare the level with.

But there are other clues:

1. Seaweed and loose shell - means the sand is building up

2. Small pebbles and rocks - dig under them, chances are there is plain sand underneath. This means build up.

3. Flat spots of firm sand that look wet - if the sand is firm it is a good sign that the loose layer of sand has been removed and the wet look is from a thin layer of water that has accumulated in a low spot.

4. Larger 10" etc sized rocks sitting around in firm sand - eroded area with good chance of gold and heavy items.

5. Dark brown "old" looking shells - eroded area but will most likely only hold lighter treasures.

6. Ripples in gutters running along the beach near the low tide mark - forget it, although lower then surrounding area I have yet to find a target in these.

7. Gutters running along where the steep high to mid tide area meets the low tide area on an angle. Worth while, normally some targets especially coins here and a few feet on each side of the gutter. If the sand is soft its not so good but still worthwhile. If it is firm it should hunt very well.

8. And of course any cuts from wave or rain washout, exposed rocky platforms that don't normally show (especially in the dry sand area) and wash outs of the dunes or banks.

The above are just my observations since I started at Xmas, but I'm finding them running true. Lately I have been amazed how the gutters in N.o. 7 have been formed on our local beaches when there is almost zero wave height. The main thing to look for is any difference in the beach from the previous day and for firm sand. Loose fluffy sand especially in the wet seems to be a waste of time.

Also if you are digging pull tabs or can slaw in the wet sand - move on and don't even look further in that area.

Hope this helps.
tonznz  
Posted : Wednesday, 24 August 2011 7:55:31 PM(UTC)
tonznz

Medals: Donation: Made a second donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you once again! :)

Man
New Zealand

Hi all. Back from st kilda beach, dunedin. found 46 coins. oldest 1937 three pence coin , Maori Hei-tiki half penny, two maori warrior shillings, eleven dollars of usable modern currency, and various old one cent. five cent, 10 cents, twenty cent, fifty cent peices. The photo if I can remember how to uplift it shows this evening's finds. Also set keys and a car key and other lumps rusty iron. I am tumbling the coins now and will uplift a photo of the cleaner coins in an hour or so.

I worked the flat sand below the high tide and worked a random pattern. Lots of deap undercutting on the beach. Dug every sound. Set machine to discriminate, but sometimes to all metal. two hours of fun. Lots of waves hitting me.

Edited by user Wednesday, 24 August 2011 7:57:34 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

tonznz attached the following image(s):
coinsbefore.JPG
under the bedrock  
Posted : Wednesday, 24 August 2011 8:17:52 PM(UTC)
under the bedrock

oh yea just did an air test on my detector and seems to have a 4-5 inch max scan depth so this could be less in sand .
With this in mind it is probably a little weak for deeper beach targets will have to wait for a storm and stick to grass.
Thanks for your responses......
goldnugget  
Posted : Wednesday, 24 August 2011 9:45:48 PM(UTC)
goldnugget

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 9 post(s)
G'day tonznz,
I've had a few hours at St Kilda in the last 3 weeks or so and did ok. The first time I went about 150m east of the surf club (about 50m further on from the track down.) 90 objects were found that time. A few 'gold' coins and 50's and 20's etc.
The next time maybe 20 or so includng 1s/s ring and another sterling with a gold top on it (a bit like a signet ring.)
The time after that, fewer still.
The last time I got bugger all so thought that was about it.
Got the urge again a week later, but went to the right of the surf club and got only 4 or 5 but one was a sixpence another a florin. Five or six years ago when there was a huge cut that area to the right of the club was really good for pre-decimal coinage, so it might be worthwhile getting as far out to the surfline as you can. (I don't dare, because I'm scared shitless about drowning my 4500! lol.)

Just to encourage you re the surfline, in that period years ago, over a few months I totalled over 5000 coins and 50 rings. Once when the tide was crashing right up to the cut, I just watched and was able to see coins rolling down the beach, so they must be out there! I managed to snag two by timing the waves and scrambling back bloody smartly as the undertow would have been a killer!

Lastly, in my experience the coins tend to sit down about 10inches to a foot on a more compact layer usually indicted by a thin band of dark grey sand.

Hey, have you noticed that the modern crappy silver coins atrract the rust like nothing I've seen before!? I think from the steel rubbish that has been incorpoarted in the dunes towards St Clair, the Fe ions must be attracted by electrolyte (sea water) to the moden metal 50's and 20's. It comes off relatively readily but it's still a pain in the butt!

Cheers.
tonznz  
Posted : Wednesday, 24 August 2011 11:35:39 PM(UTC)
tonznz

Man
New Zealand

Nice to hear from another Dunedin metal detectorist. You have done well. I worked right in the water line today and had heaps of strikes just in front and to the left of the st kilda club house. I was hoping for a ring and expected one with so many strikes. here is my post rock tumbling shot with the coins cleaned up. I keep the old currency and bag them up for dropping off to the reseve bank in wtgn on the way through to ak at xmas time. The pre decimal I keep. I know what you are saying about the right of the club house side just along a bit towards middle beach but not as far. I found lots of predecimal last winter there and the earliest coin last winter was a 1860s chch shop token.
tonznz attached the following image(s):
coinsafter.JPG
1864hatter  
Posted : Wednesday, 24 August 2011 11:47:04 PM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 566 time(s) in 269 post(s)
Two things, tonznz firstly nice haul there for the afternoon,allways good to get out. Secondly id like to know wher you bought /made your tumbler? those coins look pretty clean. Oh and I consider myself in that "Dunedin metal detectorist" bracket. I dont really like the beach, actually my detector doesnt but i give the parks a good thrashing. Have you done much of that yourself?
And now....On sandy beaches and muddy soil, rings and coins await my coil!
Karl McDowell  
Posted : Wednesday, 24 August 2011 11:50:40 PM(UTC)
Karl McDowell

Man

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 29 post(s)
Rusting silver coins? Don't quote me on this, but I think our current 'silver' NZ coins are silver in appearance only. From memory they're actually nickel plated steel.
1864hatter  
Posted : Wednesday, 24 August 2011 11:58:07 PM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 566 time(s) in 269 post(s)
there is allways problems with the terms gold and silver coins. Silver stopped being used in coins at the end of 1946. 1947 does not contain any silver, our most recent lot of coins are mostly steel thats y they go rusty so quick but are cheaper to make which saves us tax money. Apparently the big old decimals would cost more to make than their face value if they were still being made.... so ive heard anyway
And now....On sandy beaches and muddy soil, rings and coins await my coil!
tonznz  
Posted : Friday, 26 August 2011 6:09:30 PM(UTC)
tonznz

Man
New Zealand

Originally Posted by: 1864hatter Go to Quoted Post
Two things, tonznz firstly nice haul there for the afternoon,allways good to get out. Secondly id like to know wher you bought /made your tumbler? those coins look pretty clean. Oh and I consider myself in that "Dunedin metal detectorist" bracket. I dont really like the beach, actually my detector doesnt but i give the parks a good thrashing. Have you done much of that yourself?

I bought a Lortone model 3A tumber at a large rock tumbler type shop in Rotorua. I believe it was the only shop in NZ that specialized in these. It is a USA made tumbler.

I tumble most of my finds. I don't use commercial grits, though I do have them, but rather sand and stones, and dish washing liquid. I tumble for an hour then wash it all out through a sieve, into an icecream container. Then I take out the cleaned coins and put the rest back in with fresh water and new dishwashing liquid. I can repeat this several times. I clean the old currency just enough to look semi respectable for bagging up to sell back to the govt. The modern coins I clean until they are usable.

The reason why I got the tumbler was that it was embarrassing taking modern currency that has been in the ground or sea and trying to spend it and have retailers or supermarkets look at it closely and sometimes rejecting them. Some banks were good others not so good. And I didn't like having to explain to anyone where the coins came from.

Parks are good too. Thats why I bought an LCD metre for my sovereign so I could set it to +20 and dig up only $2 or $1 coins.
tonznz  
Posted : Friday, 26 August 2011 7:08:19 PM(UTC)
tonznz

Man
New Zealand

Originally Posted by: Karl McDowell Go to Quoted Post
Rusting silver coins? Don't quote me on this, but I think our current 'silver' NZ coins are silver in appearance only. From memory they're actually nickel plated steel.

try the modern 20c 50c and 10c with a magnet. The old coins weren't magnetic as they had no steel. The new ones attract rust, but still clean up with rock tumbling to be useful again. At the beach if I find a $2 or $1 coin I set my detector to "all metal" to pick up any modern steel coins.
nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Friday, 26 August 2011 8:29:30 PM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Man
New Zealand

went out today for the afternoon...found 25 coins in total..i had discrimanate set to around the 64 mark to get rid of some of the junk...
i may have missed some different things but until i get use to all the signals i put it on one that i know prety good..lol

and after giving them a clean i have discover that my oldest coin found to date is an 1888 penny found today..along with 2 half penny's 1933 and 1952..my first half penny's ever.

Edited by user Friday, 26 August 2011 8:58:56 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

tonznz  
Posted : Saturday, 27 August 2011 12:56:45 AM(UTC)
tonznz

Man
New Zealand

Well done. St Kilda beach was really giving up its treasures tonight also. I went down after dark, it was warm mild night. Worked the beach near the club house and below the high tide I found 70 coins , no rings. Best coins tonight were one NZ 1/2 Crown 1946, 4 NZ three pence coins from 1934 to 1940s, 6 florins, three pennies, 14 dollars in one and two dollar coins, and various old nz currency. All tumbled clean now. Tomorrow I have been invited to the goldfields to a tried and tested site with lots of 1/3 of a gram nuggets found previously. I'm taking my youngest child and we are going 50/50 on our finds. If I find any I'll sell them on trademe.
nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Saturday, 27 August 2011 1:01:09 AM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Man
New Zealand

very cool..you say you thurpence are between 1934 and 1940...any 1935?
2 Pages12>