New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Thursday, 25 August 2011 12:48:19 PM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 384 time(s) in 329 post(s)
Hi guys..i am wonder what is the best setting for finding gold and silver rings weather it be in a park or on the beach.
I have heard or read that all metal and dig everything is the answer but i would like
a few comments and views from the ones that know better than me as i am new at it.

i have a Fisher gold bug if that helps...with the 11 inch dd and the 5 inch coils
i normally use the 11DD when hunting parks and beaches.

Cheers
Chris
Chris - Fisher Dealer http://www.puiakisupply.co.nz/
creamer  
Posted : Thursday, 25 August 2011 1:41:32 PM(UTC)
creamer

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 525 time(s) in 391 post(s)
I hunt in all metal mode. Then decide wether to dig it or not. Usually on the beach i dig everything. I said no dig to one beep cos there were multiple targets in one junk spot and i decided to clean it out in the end. Found a massive mens 925 ring. Wo, really, it was my other halfs idea to dig there. Nice one. You dont want to miss the big one on the beach just cos it came up iron. It may be real deep..get closer and the scale goes up sometimes to silverish. Who knows.. In parks and stuff i dont usually dig iron. Anyhow you wouldnt want to miss these..

Shane
UserPostedImage
Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
creamer  
Posted : Thursday, 25 August 2011 1:44:00 PM(UTC)
creamer

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Or these, Found in playgrounds.
Shane
UserPostedImage
Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
creamer  
Posted : Thursday, 25 August 2011 2:01:19 PM(UTC)
creamer

Man

When you find a Ring theres a real Ding. Yeha

Shane
Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
Shilo  
Posted : Thursday, 25 August 2011 2:09:44 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
Originally Posted by: nzpoohbear40 Go to Quoted Post
Hi guys..i am wonder what is the best setting for finding gold and silver rings weather it be in a park or on the beach.
I have heard or read that all metal and dig everything is the answer but i would like
a few comments and views from the ones that know better than me as i am new at it.

i have a Fisher gold bug if that helps...with the 11 inch dd and the 5 inch coils
i normally use the 11DD when hunting parks and beaches.

Cheers
Chris

Dig everything until you have learnt your detector inside out. Even then when you think you know all the tones there is still a good chance of not digging up a good ticket because it sounded wrong.

I play a little game when detecting of guessing the target. Thus when I hear a tone I would guess what it is before digging, sometimes it would be "Pull Tab" and a nice gold ring pops out of the hole...... Once I have learnt the detector enough to get it right 9 times out of 10 then I feel confident that I can discriminate some tones and avoid digging them.

But that one time out of 10 that I thought was junk and never dug could have be a valuable find. Ignoring it is a risk that you accept for the situation where you are hunting. For example on the beach I dig a lot more iffy sounding targets then a trash ridden park.

Also beware that the deeper a target is, the junkier it will sound. Last night I dug a couple of old silver pre-decs that were right at the edge of what the detector could pick up. Everything about them was pointing to iron and I would have sworn they were iron a part from the fact that the targets were so deep.

So when you think you know your detector and target sounds, then start ignoring targets - but doing this will mean that you take a risk of not digging that find of a lifetime!

creamer  
Posted : Thursday, 25 August 2011 2:46:04 PM(UTC)
creamer

Man

Totally agree with you there Shilo. The gold plated watch i found way in the low tide mark,
heavily encrusted first came up as iron.

Shane
Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
gingerbreadman  
Posted : Thursday, 25 August 2011 9:29:29 PM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 74 post(s)
Rings,coins,bracelits,neckliss,z,watches...Who care,s....im at breaking point!!!...its a gold forum if i wanted to look at that stuff id empty my daughter,s pigy bank...or go to the local gipsy market!!
gbm.
kiwijw  
Posted : Thursday, 25 August 2011 10:13:10 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Originally Posted by: gingerbreadman Go to Quoted Post
Rings,coins,bracelits,neckliss,z,watches...Who care,s....im at breaking point!!!...its a gold forum if i wanted to look at that stuff id empty my daughter,s pigy bank...or go to the local gipsy market!!
gbm.

Good on you GBM. LOL :) :)

Happy hunting

JW :)
nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Thursday, 25 August 2011 10:21:28 PM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Man
New Zealand

rings are made of GOLD to GBM atleast the kind i am looking for are.....besides and im not trying to start a fight here but if you dont want to see the pics of rings and what not then dont look under the topic rings and jewelry...
i to love my gold and posted my gold pics what little of it i have..lol..and when i can get to the gold areas down south and find gold i will put them pics on here to but at the moment i am stuck here in the city so have to hunt coins and jewelry and since i am new to the detector and the forum i am happy with my finds and like to share them.

Edited by user Friday, 26 August 2011 1:49:20 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

gingerbreadman  
Posted : Thursday, 25 August 2011 10:54:25 PM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 74 post(s)
Originally Posted by: nzpoohbear40 Go to Quoted Post
rings are made of GOLD to GBM atleast the kind i am looking for are.....besides and im not trying to start a fight here but if you dont want to see the pics of rings and what not then dont look under the topic rings and jewelry...
i to love my gold and posted my gold pics what little of it i have..lol..and when i can get to the gold areas down south and find gold i will put them pics on here to but at the moment i am stuck here in they city so have to hunt coins and jewelry and since i am new to the detector and the forum i am happy with my finds and like to share them.

Hi znpoobear...im not trying to single you out by any means...im mearly pointing out that this is a gold forum....and there is lots of people on here if evryone posted all there non gold finds well the forum wouldnt really be a gold fossicking forum would it.....
nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Thursday, 25 August 2011 11:07:53 PM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Man
New Zealand

yes i understand where you are coming from...lol...
gavin  
Posted : Friday, 26 August 2011 8:55:57 AM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
I've moved this under the metal detecting forum as it's probably more appropriate ;)
rgmcbrid  
Posted : Friday, 26 August 2011 9:33:29 AM(UTC)
rgmcbrid

Man

Was thanked: 180 time(s) in 140 post(s)
When you live hours from the nearest gold bearing geology you have to settle for the next best thing. This is my 'gold' haul from the last few weeks. I am pretty anxious to do some detecting for actual gold but in the mean time this keeps me amused.
rgmcbrid attached the following image(s):
UrbanGold.jpg
gavin  
Posted : Friday, 26 August 2011 9:44:09 AM(UTC)
gavin

Originally Posted by: rgmcbrid Go to Quoted Post
When you live hours from the nearest gold bearing geology you have to settle for the next best thing. This is my 'gold' haul from the last few weeks. I am pretty anxious to do some detecting for actual gold but in the mean time this keeps me amused.

That's a right little hoard you have there! How much does it add up to?
rgmcbrid  
Posted : Friday, 26 August 2011 9:47:33 AM(UTC)
rgmcbrid

Man

Was thanked: 180 time(s) in 140 post(s)
Lol, I was sure someone was going to ask so I just counted and came up with $228. Although I suspect if I counted again I would get a different number.

Although I understand Gingerbreadmans point about this being a gold forum, I like to hunt for a lot of things besides gold. I spend a good deal of time collecting agates and crystals for example. I personally have more interest in the metal detector posts because I do a fair bit of detecting and have picked up a lot of good tips. I have never used a dredge or even a sluice so tend to just look at the pictures and go “Huh, I’ll be darn’d.” To me it is all interesting and I think it would be a shame to have posts strictly about gold. I would tend to lean the other way and would be interested in hearing about anything interesting that people find whether it be old bottles, minerals, fossils, meteors, or whatever. But that’s just me. If others feel differently maybe there should be ‘gold’ and ‘general’ detector categories. I am sure Gavin has nothing better to do than cater to our every whim.

Edited by user Friday, 26 August 2011 10:07:34 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

gjj109  
Posted : Friday, 26 August 2011 10:06:39 AM(UTC)
gjj109

Man

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 115 post(s)
I am inspired. It's always good to hear about, and see, the rewards of a bit of effort.

I bet the yellow stuff shows up pretty clearly against the white stuff you've been having.

Keep those posts coming.

gavin  
Posted : Friday, 26 August 2011 11:14:16 AM(UTC)
gavin

Originally Posted by: rgmcbrid Go to Quoted Post
Lol, I was sure someone was going to ask so I just counted and came up with $228. Although I suspect if I counted again I would get a different number.

Although I understand Gingerbreadmans point about this being a gold forum, I like to hunt for a lot of things besides gold. I spend a good deal of time collecting agates and crystals for example. I personally have more interest in the metal detector posts because I do a fair bit of detecting and have picked up a lot of good tips. I have never used a dredge or even a sluice so tend to just look at the pictures and go “Huh, I’ll be darn’d.” To me it is all interesting and I think it would be a shame to have posts strictly about gold. I would tend to lean the other way and would be interested in hearing about anything interesting that people find whether it be old bottles, minerals, fossils, meteors, or whatever. But that’s just me. If others feel differently maybe there should be ‘gold’ and ‘general’ detector categories. I am sure Gavin has nothing better to do than cater to our every whim.

$228 - a nice little haul! :)

I must admit - I've been finding all these detector posts interesting and have also and picked up some handy tips. Kind of a hard one - perhaps I should create a new branch for detecting... add a "Metal Detecting" (with "Gold" and "Other" areas) section alongside the General and Gold Fossicking and Mining sections.

A lot of people seem interested in the metal detecting as it's an active section in itself so I don't want to spoil that. I've always wanted these forums to be community driven rather than trying to force my own personal vision on it.

I'm curious to see come summer if the detecting posts will drop off a little as the waters don't seem as cold to play in any more. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

Ok, if you have views on this please can you reply on this thread instead:

http://forums.paydirt.co.nz/yaf_postsm4873_New-Sections-Needed-in-These-Forums.aspx

I'll try and provide what the community wants ;)

Edited by user Friday, 26 August 2011 11:15:02 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified