New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

10 Pages«<8910
mem  
Posted : Tuesday, 12 August 2014 5:59:57 AM(UTC)
mem

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Just spent several hours going through all your posts to try and catch up on here, (been out the loop for some time)
Really interesting, thanks for taking the time to share.
The Hatter  
Posted : Tuesday, 12 August 2014 4:40:22 PM(UTC)
The Hatter

New Zealand

Was thanked: 320 time(s) in 125 post(s)
Hi Keith

A few years back me and my partner spent a lot of time up Frying Pan Creek and some of the other smaller creeks at the rear of the farmland.
The top layer of Frying Pan Creek has fine gold in it, but nothing to get to excited about. Just flood gold down to about 20cms. Took a dredge in, a Keene Five inch triple. Once through that 20cm top layer, there is zilch. Bottom is old man bottom and not that far down. The Chinese moved in after the Europeans were finished in the area, and they dont leave much behind. Like you say lots of workings and lined tailraces etc. I think the creek was diverted many times. Lovely area tho.

Cheers Trev
The Hatter  
Posted : Tuesday, 12 August 2014 9:40:12 PM(UTC)
The Hatter

New Zealand

The Hatter here again Keith.

Quite a few years back me and my mate took our Detectors for a stroll up to Chinamans Flat at New Creek. Used the old dray road that was built to take the Stamper Battery and other mining equipment in. The battery is up tinchbourne creek which flows into New Creek just after Chinamans flat. Lots of workings in there. It was poor ground hence the Europeans turned their back on it. And left it to the Chinese. There was still a hut standing when we went in. And hanging on the wall was a copper bottomed gold pan.(Probably still up there) A guy Les used to own the New Creek Farm then, and a great fellow he was to. We didn't raise a colour at Chinamens flat, both detecting and panning. The mine never got through exploration stage, was going about 5dwt a ton. And the rock is reported as exceptionally hard.

Did find some nice relics on the dray track. It was a cordroyed track. Got a few horse shoes. The best find was a small sledge hammer head which must have snapped of its shaft when being used on the track. Must have been muddy and the user gave up trying to locate it.

Did a few trips to New Creek with a gold dredge for zilch.

Cheers Trev aka the Hatter
Grizzle  
Posted : Wednesday, 13 August 2014 5:43:28 AM(UTC)
Grizzle

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Howdy all... just wanted to say a big thanks to Keith and other who contribute to this thread, awesome read, great info.. keep up the good work!

Hey I'm looking at hussing around Canoe Creek & 10 Mile Creek in a week or two... they seem like a couple of accessable spta that had coarse gold back in the day from my reseacrh(?)... any tips or info you could throw my way?...

cheers any.way
Matt
Nugget-Hunter  
Posted : Thursday, 14 August 2014 11:11:54 PM(UTC)
Nugget-Hunter

Man

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 20 post(s)
Hi Grizzle,
There are two ways to get to the main alluvial diggings.
From the 10 Mile bridge up the mining road (locked gate), then down some old concrete steps into Doherty Creek and down into the Ten Mile. Cross the Ten Mile there and climb up the other side on a washed out 30ties track. That track will sidle about 50 meters above the gorge for about 1.5km ( true right hand side) all the way to the old diggings. 2.5 hours from the bridge.
The other way is the Perry's Track, which starts opposite the Hazy View B&B near the 13 Mile Creek. A road marker peg will mark the start of the track at the highest bush edge at the paddock above the B&B. 3.5 hours across the tops and down into the diggings. There is an old hut from the 30ties with 2 bunks. May be collapsed by now, I have not been there for 10 years or so. Count with wind-fall as the tracks are not maintained, only used by hunters. I have carried my 2 inch suction dredge in to there once, beaut of a place, the gold is relative coarse but required a bit of scratching. If I had holidays I would come too. The Chinese diggings are an half hour upstream from there. One place where the Chinese did a lot better than the Pakeha.
Happy digging
Nugget-Hunter
Grizzle  
Posted : Friday, 15 August 2014 1:39:01 PM(UTC)
Grizzle

Man
New Zealand

Hey thats awesome Nugget Hunter... that make sense to me, especially the direct route.. i actually took some samples from 10 mile a few months ago, gonna pan them today finally (didn't trust my panning skill back then!)... they were taken from below the bridge / main road on the inside corner - there were a couple of massive boulders that looked like they may have been good for collecting fine gold....any.way - i actually went for a really good walk up that valley that day as well.. found those concrete steps you talk of, dropped down to Doherty Creek.. at that time i didn't know where the actual diggings were, i was just following my nose... it was getting dark by this stage.. i nosed around Doherty wondering where the track carried on.... couldn't find the next step.. didn't really think of crossing the 10 mile.. mainly coz i was by myself and it was getting dark as well!... on the way back to the main road what was already a windy day went f**kin nuts!.. it was one of those epic blows on the coast a few months ago when sh8t was flying and roofs were coming off.. yep, you mention windfalls - well i could hear branches cracking and landing around me in the darkness!!..was pretty spooky to say the least.. ended up sheltering around the old coal(?) mine about half way back and gathering up some dutch courage via a brewed up milo with some 'thirst aid'... got back to my blue safety helmet (the hilux!) OK in the end but yeah, was feelin pretty alive!.... any.way, i think i might go and check it out fully this time - so is it obvious when you make it to the diggings you talk of?.. or could you throw me a gps location or something similar if not?...thanks again!
Nugget-Hunter  
Posted : Friday, 15 August 2014 9:08:45 PM(UTC)
Nugget-Hunter

Man

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 20 post(s)
Hi Grizzle,
I like your 10 Mile adventure with the 100 mph coaster sea breeze haha, good fun. Milo and Southern Comfort is my fave too, to sit out a grotty day. Anyway I have drawn the tracks onto a map, just from memory. I never had a GPS until last year. Will see if I can upload it onto the forum. The wee hut is on the true LH side where the track hit's the 10 Mile, just up stream from the flying fox wire across the river. You can't miss the diggings, tailings on both sides up on the river banks. There are diggings on every bank all the way up into the head waters where the stamper battery is. By low water one can zig-zag up the river right into the head waters in about 9-10 hours and come out through the Croesus track.
File Attachment(s):
Grizzle  
Posted : Friday, 15 August 2014 9:42:47 PM(UTC)
Grizzle

Man
New Zealand

thanks again for that.. that makes perfect sense now.. just locked in where the track ends into my GPS so that should be a sweet runner now.. I may be going all the way to Franz now, stay with a friend and check some places out down there plus a little closer to a spot x i want to look at as well...

so (anyone) got any comments on:

*looking at a prospect around the Callery (is it worth it though if ya cant get right up the back of it?)...

*the MacDonald (worth going further up it than the main road I'm thinkin though?)...

*drop into the Hercules (any thoughts there?)

*Whataroa .. obviously has had heaps of action on it in the past..

...I will be rolling with an AT Gold detector, weekend / hand prospector pump + the usual bts and pieces, Estwing Geo Pick, crevasse scraper, shovel, etc..

cheers again!
Matt
Grizzle  
Posted : Friday, 15 August 2014 9:44:21 PM(UTC)
Grizzle

Man
New Zealand

PS - definitely still superkeen to get up the back of 10 Mile - so much appreciated with the info!
kiwikeith  
Posted : Sunday, 9 August 2015 6:21:00 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Helped organise get together for Paydirt members and volunteered gold claim for the event (Oct 2013)

Was thanked: 230 time(s) in 154 post(s)
out for a walk with the detector up larrys creek. found a couple of colours and this big bit of metal. this area is well worth a look round with lots of history
File Attachment(s):
Chrispy  
Posted : Sunday, 9 August 2015 7:51:49 PM(UTC)
Chrispy

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

New Zealand

Was thanked: 230 time(s) in 102 post(s)
Way cool mate. Good to see you posting again. You still busy with your coon trapping??
The Hatter  
Posted : Sunday, 9 August 2015 8:27:53 PM(UTC)
The Hatter

New Zealand

Yep that old Roby Steam engine is a beauty. Did you cross the river and see the stamper battery and drive nearbye. I was up there years ago. Lugged a wetsuit in and weight belt and had a dive in the deep hole below the Roby. The reef out crops underwater. Was a rich reef but I couldnt see any visible gold. Didn't have any jelly sadly otherwise I would have did a wee bit of a Guy Fawkes on it. Saw some humugus trout in that hole tho. A guy I know flew a dredge in some years ago. He was above the reef. Got frig all. Yet there are other bearing reefs above where you were. But must have been lean as they were never opened or worked on. The gear you saw was bought in by bullock from Boatmans creek Valley. There is a quite well defined track at the start but after a k or two its gets harder to find, as it was by a creek and got washed out in many places. The reason the ancient treasure is still there after two world wars, was they couldnt get it out. Most of the old stampers etc went into the war effort. Did Caz wave her gold ring over the shaft lol.

And yep keep up the posting.

Cheers Trev aka " The Hatter"
kiwikeith  
Posted : Sunday, 9 August 2015 10:21:45 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Helped organise get together for Paydirt members and volunteered gold claim for the event (Oct 2013)

hi there hatter
yea caz did her thing with the ring . just beside the bucket was a mound so out with the ring and it stated to swing so we dug out a pan full and down to the river there it was 5 colours so there maybe more still there
with all the snow around the river was a little high and very cold so we didn't go across, wait till summer
doc has just been in and trimed the track so as it a nice easy walk
put about 5 pans through from different locations all with alittle colour , each one was supported by the ring so if we got a swing we dug ,
simon  
Posted : Sunday, 9 August 2015 11:13:25 PM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
That old engine looks like the brother of the engine that sits at the mouth of the Oxenbridge Tunnel on the Shotover River. Would be about 191o give or take 2 years each side.
The Hatter  
Posted : Monday, 10 August 2015 10:09:00 PM(UTC)
The Hatter

New Zealand

HI kiwikeith and Cazz.

That pic you posted of the Roby has kinda got me out of the winter depression I seem to get every winter. Is it spring I smell in the air. I have a story I want to write about Larrys No 1 and Larrys No 2, as that area has always enthralled me. I shall start at the start when I Samuel Jones found the reef. Floated it on the Reefton Stockmarket, in the late 1800s and raised the capital to develop Larrys No 1. And I shall tell you the tale of how we got the Roby Steam engine into that remote place and of course the Stamper. It was not without difficulty I can ensure you. And there will be tales of hardship but also of success. It pleases me that our ancient endeavors are still there for the hardened visitor to admire and perhaps admire our pluck and courage in what we achieved at Larrys. Perhaps my greatest adventure, since I left my homeland and traveled to New Zealand in search of gold.

Yep folks I see another " Mad Hatter" story coming. Watch this space.

kiwikeith  
Posted : Wednesday, 19 August 2015 8:08:14 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

hi folks
here is some gold panning areas I found while walking the other day
nztm e1512995 n5348169 location is up the saint Helena creek towards the top end . access is from larrys creek and through the pass its alittle steep from larrys but not high , got some nice colours in t6he pan
going over the ridge through a small saddle will get you into the rip and tear creek , although didn't pan in there , there was a lot of old workings
its interesting its all starting to form a line when you join the dots right from snowey river right up to and beyond the Lyell. there are other references I have made previous you can look up as well as other spots that are on private lands
that I don't have a right to mention.
hint for this post is try potter creek
kiwikeith  
Posted : Wednesday, 28 October 2015 7:17:14 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

hi all
been working up waiuta for a couple of weeks and found some interesting stuff. of course not going to tell you the best as yet I haven't tried them myself.

I would share if you pm me

but up the road from black water towards waiuta there are some interesting drives on the side of the road. one I have put a red ribbon on a bush because its over grown. be great to go in with a detector. if you do let me know how you get on
location of drives
NZTM e1500510 n5318755
e1500039 n5319547
e1500030 n5319686
here is the location of a beach I got some good colour of with a pan e1499864 n5320264
be careful out there and always seck permission
The Hatter  
Posted : Wednesday, 28 October 2015 8:36:47 PM(UTC)
The Hatter

New Zealand

Bloody hell Keith. You are carrot dangling again, you rascal.

gavin  
Posted : Saturday, 31 October 2015 6:00:35 PM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Cheers Keith - always appreciated.

I'm hoping to be healed enough to do some detecting soon if you're keen to catch up. Will give you a shout nearer the time. Hoping to get away the weekend of 14th Nov if weather allows.

Kinda in the general area I'm looking to play in next time I got for a detect - but I'll be limited to easy access stuff as I'm not sure my Achilles will be happy with too much hardcore bush bashing at the moment. Anyway, will give you a ring nearer the time to see if you fancy catching up for a detect ;)
10 Pages«<8910