New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

10 Pages«<78910>
kiwikeith  
Posted : Sunday, 10 March 2013 12:16:23 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Helped organise get together for Paydirt members and volunteered gold claim for the event (Oct 2013)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 230 time(s) in 154 post(s)
compare the hole and rocks to last photo only for 3 grams

i hit old man bottom not rock but as hard as tried using a crowbar to smash through but to hard steve has his blasting ticket so mite have to give that a go have found in the past the good gold is under the oldman

could comment about the old mans bottom but this is a family show not that its stopped me in the past
File Attachment(s):
gingerbreadman  
Posted : Sunday, 10 March 2013 12:31:06 PM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 74 post(s)
You could try a "blaster hose'' keene sell an adaptor that screw onto the front of the pump giving heaps of pressure iv had my,n for years and neaver really found it that usefull due to the type of country i dredge but last week had a change of senery so pulled it out and it made a huge difference in hardpac and cracks just blows all the tiny sedimint away and the rest follow could be worth a try before blowing things up
gbm
kiwikeith  
Posted : Sunday, 24 March 2013 10:47:17 AM(UTC)
kiwikeith

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Helped organise get together for Paydirt members and volunteered gold claim for the event (Oct 2013)

some daysjust turn out shit
foggy all the way to the claim river was down so that was good after the rain stayed foggy till it started to rain round 2.30
got the dredge out to find that i had left the mesh that goes in the box at home result no fine gold but a bit of coarse stuff conclusion is that the keen 4" wont work well without the screen
shifted a heap of rocks again piled the piles higher and forgot to take the camera so cant show the progress to you

the good news i found the gold line on the beach after 6 days the bad news it runs under the big pile of rocks
no one turned up to give me a hand to rioll the big rocks across the bottom of the pool
kiwikeith  
Posted : Saturday, 1 June 2013 6:01:16 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

sorry folks its been awhile since anything interesting has come up (and that's debateable as well) lol

buller gorge iron bridge
walking round the bush on the south side of the road from the bridge and yes its steep but at
nztm e 1519424, n5372886 there was a mine hole where the old timers sunk a pit to test the ground it was about 6 foot square at the top and about 8 feet deep.
also found the old road that took the miners to the Lyell ferry before the iron bridge was put in (coordinates can be supplied if you are interested) may be worth a wave over with some of your guys magicsticks

bittenbythebug  
Posted : Saturday, 1 June 2013 6:58:24 PM(UTC)
bittenbythebug

Man

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Have you got a metal detector Kiwikeith or do you just stick to a pan and possuming when out these reomote areas?
kiwikeith  
Posted : Saturday, 1 June 2013 7:44:08 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

yep ive got a gold bug and a ereka gold

but never really use either going to sell the ereka gold if interested I don't even carry my pan with me just collect imfo to pass on
goldstalker  
Posted : Sunday, 2 June 2013 12:05:09 AM(UTC)
goldstalker

Was thanked: 67 time(s) in 57 post(s)
Originally Posted by: kiwikeith Go to Quoted Post
sorry folks its been awhile since anything interesting has come up (and that's debateable as well) lol

buller gorge iron bridge
walking round the bush on the south side of the road from the bridge and yes its steep but at
nztm e 1519424, n5372886 there was a mine hole where the old timers sunk a pit to test the ground it was about 6 foot square at the top and about 8 feet deep.
also found the old road that took the miners to the Lyell ferry before the iron bridge was put in (coordinates can be supplied if you are interested) may be worth a wave over with some of your guys magicsticks

hey keith i would love to have a detect around the road and were the ferry picked people up im sure there would be some old coins and artifacts to find. might see if bert will come with me but i dunno you know how lazy he can be from possuming with him lmao anyway some coordinates to the area would be great
kiwikeith  
Posted : Sunday, 2 June 2013 8:18:47 AM(UTC)
kiwikeith

hi gold stalker im back up the bush now so will get the coordinates to you of the gps next trip home (tus)

be good to catch up with bert he wasn't to bad had his good days where he would walk for miles

kiwikeith
Moonlight Picker  
Posted : Monday, 3 June 2013 9:59:08 PM(UTC)
Moonlight Picker

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi Kiwikeith Good to see some gold in the top mat a, the keene dredge works wall
goldstalker  
Posted : Monday, 3 June 2013 10:11:27 PM(UTC)
goldstalker

Was thanked: 67 time(s) in 57 post(s)
Originally Posted by: kiwikeith Go to Quoted Post
hi gold stalker im back up the bush now so will get the coordinates to you of the gps next trip home (tus)

be good to catch up with bert he wasn't to bad had his good days where he would walk for miles

kiwikeith

sounds good keith ") love to detect such a cool area
kiwikeith  
Posted : Tuesday, 4 June 2013 4:27:31 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

hi goldstalker

the road coordinates it goes along the ridge we came across it at the northern coordinates and went of it at the southern where it goes not to sure but would assume it will curl round to opposite the Lyell where the punt was

e 1519159 n 5372664 north end of road
e 1519299 n5372132 south end of road

it was interesting to find some old fruit trees also over the bank or should I say cliff looks like there could have been some houses there at one stage as there is also raspberries and gooseberry bushes in a cut over area

if one had some time it would be worth a trip as the access isn't to bad if you follow the ridge from the power line road

give me a note if interested in going for a walk or anybody else as well
kiwikeith  
Posted : Tuesday, 11 June 2013 4:59:17 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

here is an interesting place you have to cross private property so please ask first

new creek at the lower end of the upper buller gorge turn off at the iron bridge. at the head waters there is an old stamper still standing and a town called Chinatown (I think because chinamen lived there) some foundations are still there its just over the hill from the Lyell so the ground was very rich and still is most records of the area were destroyed in the post office fire not to sure weather at Lyell or somewhere else

there is an old dray road into the area but not to sure where it starts only come across it while walking in the area
kiwikeith  
Posted : Saturday, 6 July 2013 4:11:47 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

reefton
blacks point a great place for history there are mines all over the place great tracks if you walk the tram track there is 766 steps counted them all the other day
try up lankey creek a good walk that takes you past old batteries and mines drives into the hill with cuttings and water races
below (photo) the Bolitho brothers mine you are told do not enter but when ones says that of course one has to maybe worth sweeping the walls with a detector
this area has to rank high up the list for things to look at you could always walk up to cementown there is nothing there now but old workings and house sites
File Attachment(s):
kiwikeith  
Posted : Saturday, 6 July 2013 7:34:42 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

her is photo of the bros stamper or what is left of it
it was water driven and just down from the mine by about 200m
File Attachment(s):
kiwikeith  
Posted : Friday, 12 July 2013 5:33:26 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

blacks point
reefton
some more of the horrible place work takes me
the tram track behind blacks point well worth the walk all gold history
gjj109  
Posted : Friday, 12 July 2013 9:10:33 PM(UTC)
gjj109

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 115 post(s)
Thanks for the posts Keith.
For those that haven't been up there, get hold of, or download the Doc pamphlet " Walks in the Murray Creek goldfield. " if it is still available. Then go for a stroll.
chrischch  
Posted : Wednesday, 18 September 2013 9:58:08 PM(UTC)
chrischch

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 104 post(s)
I love these old deserted places you find Keith and cant wait to spend some decent time over there so I can try to see these places for myself. Have you been anywhere neat lately? Seen anything interesting?
Fisher Goldbug Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Propointer.
kiwikeith  
Posted : Wednesday, 18 September 2013 10:47:51 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

yes spent the last 6 weeks in the aorere river valley there are some great spots around the area with a lot of history

found some colour in a couple of creeks and visited some interesting workings at the top of the quartz range farm
heading up the kaituna river on Monday and the bonney doon creek

looking forward to labour weekend seems a lot of interest in visiting the claim so I will head up there in a couple of weeks to check out the track
chrischch  
Posted : Thursday, 19 September 2013 2:46:01 PM(UTC)
chrischch

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 104 post(s)
Thanks Keith, you sure get to some great places and to get paid to do so would be an added bonus! I'm sure there's plenty of hard yakka and hard weather to contend with though!
You(and your claim partner(s)) are a kind and generous man letting the members here onto your claim. May the gold karma gods reward you for such generosity!
Fisher Goldbug Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Propointer.
kiwikeith  
Posted : Wednesday, 6 August 2014 6:42:37 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

here is a likely place
e1505434 n5343911 this is up frying pan creek on private property so ask before you go.

a lot of stuff and diggings in the area so may have been worked out, didn't have time to put the pan in I was meant to be working
File Attachment(s):
10 Pages«<78910>