New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

Rob2180  
Posted : Wednesday, 31 August 2011 2:47:10 AM(UTC)
Rob2180

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Hi all I know this is way off topic just wondering if anyone near mount white could do me a favor in a river on the midland line a Steam Locomotive was dumped and buried iv had a look on google earth ad there is only two rivers near mount white the locomotive would be next to the railway line if anyone could do this for me I would be very greatfull if you found it it would be an awesome tresure

Thanks Robert H
simon  
Posted : Wednesday, 31 August 2011 10:54:23 AM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
a steam loco may be the biggest object yet asked to detect!!!!

surely someone must know where it is.

seems to have been the habit with old locos - dump them in the river or somewhere for some stabilisation.

i know they dug a couple in in dunedin under one of the parks.

and i think there a couple in southland propping up the banks near the old railway tracks.

what will you do if you find it? dig it up?
oroplata  
Posted : Wednesday, 31 August 2011 11:21:24 AM(UTC)
oroplata

Groups: Registered, Moderators

Was thanked: 211 time(s) in 152 post(s)

If you can locate some aerial magnetometer maps of the area it'll probably stick out like dogs balls!

Lammerlaw  
Posted : Wednesday, 31 August 2011 11:38:58 AM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)
Originally Posted by: oroplata Go to Quoted Post

If you can locate some aerial magnetometer maps of the area it'll probably stick out like dogs balls!

Sounds really cool and a marvellous tihng to locate, retrieve and restore - a chap borrowed my old Garrett form me, located and gopt council permission to dig and retrieve and is now restoring a 64 pounder rifles muzzle loading Whitworth cannon and a seven ton rifles muzzle loading cannon so your idea about locating the steam loco using a metal detector is all good...good luck.

ARob2180 - I see you are interested in Vintage Stationary engines - I have one here which no one seems to be able to identify and an expert in the field tells me that he has never seen one similar in real life or in his books and magazines. I do nt collect them but think I might have nine of them. The bigger one I wanted to drive a three head stamper battery with for gold one day - but those days are past now methinks. Whether it was powerful enough or not I dont know.

Edited by user Wednesday, 31 August 2011 11:42:45 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rob2180  
Posted : Wednesday, 31 August 2011 1:24:55 PM(UTC)
Rob2180

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 11 post(s)
if it was found i would dig it up as there is only two others in the world and one of them is only a set of wheels
@Lammerlaw if you post or email me a pic i will have a go at identifying it for you