New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

Shilo  
Posted : Sunday, 4 September 2011 1:44:35 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
Ok, lately I've been working on a way of recording my precious metal finds and working out their melt value. After a couple of trials I settled onto using a Google Doc spreadsheet which allows the spot price for silver and gold to be automatically loaded.

It also has the added advantage of being able to share it easily with whoever wants a copy for their own use! So if interested click onto the link below and download the spreadsheet.

But please don't hold me responsible for any inaccuracies, I haven't done this sort of thing for years. The formula's seem to work well and as far as I can tell are 100% accurate but there could be some bugs. The spot price is taken from a 3rd party the American Precious Metal Exchange so the values are reliant on them keeping up to date records. Instructions etc for use can be found on the Instruction sheet located on the toolbar at the bottom of the window.

If anybody has experience with Google Doc's and wants to improve the sheet, please feel free to do so and get back to me with the changes.

Hope somebody finds it useful!

NZ Metal Detecting Finds Calculator (must have a Google account to access)

Recommend saving a copy as your own Google Doc. You can convert it to MS Xcel or OpenOffice Calc etc but the automatic retrieval of the spot price will not work unless you rewrite the formula (For OpenOffice download the addon "GetQoute" and use that in your formula).

NZ Metal Detecting Finds Calculator
gjj109  
Posted : Sunday, 4 September 2011 7:47:22 PM(UTC)
gjj109

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 115 post(s)
That's awesome thanks Shilo. Thanks for making it available.