New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

digger37  
Posted : Saturday, 15 May 2010 7:36:19 AM(UTC)
digger37

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Been on this site a few times but haven't as yet introduced myself....
I Live in Nelson, I'm married and have an 8 year old boy, if I'm not with my
family or work then I've gone bush fossicking.....been interested in the yellow stuff
since a very young age.
Work, design engineer - materials handling equipment
Unfortunately due to the recession and as with alot of people at the moment my work has
taken me away from home to the west coast doing long hours missing family and not much spear
time to fossick etc...

However I have been slowly putting together a plan of attack for the next fossicking aventure
on the mighty west coast... around Greymouth area...the tools for this mission: Gold detector,
Sluice box, large shovel, crevice sucker, crevice cleaner/rooster head...see pics

I hope all goes well....

Digger

digger37 attached the following image(s):
DSC03391e.JPG
x-terra steve  
Posted : Saturday, 15 May 2010 9:21:52 AM(UTC)
x-terra steve

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Hi Digger37,

have you had much luck with your detector?,

Adventure on the coast sounds like the one.

I have made about six trips last year to the Moonlight area and had a little luck,enough to pay for trips ect.

If you get a spare day and want to have a go detecting up the Wakamarina let me know and we can have a go.

I have got a couple of new places that I access by kayak,fairly easy going when the river flow is not to fast.

Happy detecting

Steve

digger37  
Posted : Sunday, 16 May 2010 5:50:59 AM(UTC)
digger37

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Hi x-terra steve,
I haven't had alot of luck getting gold nuggets with my MD as yet however
I have been getting small pieces 2 to 6mm diameter, also have picked
up on areas in rivers etc that have high mineral content
which in turn have been resonably fruitfull with dredge or sluice box.

I to have been to the moonlight area also and yes not much luck there
with MD although have heard some very tall storys.... 1OZ a day with a
6" dredge agnoring DOC, getting fined twice, laywers etc, just missing out
on a jail term, and still making enough money to buy a new 4 wheel drive!....

I can't tell you the exact place (for obvous reasons) I am going for my next adventure
except to say north/west Greymouth coast road.....

Another day detecting up the Waka would be great! I will keep in touch and
hopefully we can come up with a plan.

Digger
digger37 attached the following image(s):
DSC02932w.jpg
DSC02891w.JPG
DSC02864.JPG
DSC02883.JPG
criticol  
Posted : Sunday, 16 May 2010 3:20:55 PM(UTC)
criticol

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 48 post(s)
Hi Digger,
I see that your from Nelson, and will be going to Greymouth to do some detecting?
I was in the South Island having a look around years ago,(approx 1967) as I was vey interested in an area in Lyell that I had researched very well, and that yeilded GOOD sized Nuggets in the old days when detectors were not available to the miners of that era.
As I will possibly never visit that location again, I thought that you and others may as well know where it was.
Location: "LYELL CREEK", First tributary to enter from the "RIGHT" as you proceed up from the "Buller". (Also good at the confluence of this tributary with the Lyell)
This tributary creek heads up towards the "Plateau" on the right, and the big nuggets were got up towards the Head,(from approx the last third of this little creek) there were also good ones found on the Plateau itself!
Your welcome to this information which I have kept to myself for many years, (hoping to go back one day with a good detector). If you do go have a look,and have an amazing fosick,all I ask is that you keep me in mind :).

Regards, and good luck with the hunt.----Colin.
Balfour  
Posted : Monday, 17 May 2010 3:32:37 PM(UTC)
Balfour

Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi Colin,

Wow, you're a real trooper! It is very rare to find someone who is prepared to devulge locations (in such detail) where they have done well. I know the Lyell reasonably well having fossicked there several times, with limited success. I mainly went up the lefthand side of the Creek and got about an ounce over a week of panning. I plan to try my luck again and will certainly let you know how get on. It is a very beautiful stream with lots of history (old stampers and graves) and a fun place to prospect:)

Go get 'em Digger - would be interested on how you get on :)

Thanks again for sharing your tips on a potentially fertile location!

Cheers, Ian (Balfour)

x-terra steve  
Posted : Monday, 17 May 2010 3:47:48 PM(UTC)
x-terra steve

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Hi Colin,

Cheers for the info,,
I haven't spent a lot of time in the Lyell but a few friends of mine have done well there.
Are you into detecting?? If so what is your wepon of choice?
Thanks again Steve

x-terra steve  
Posted : Monday, 17 May 2010 4:01:43 PM(UTC)
x-terra steve

Man

Cheers Digger37,,
Nice pics,,would make great screen savers.
North West on the coast road,, emm 10 mile springs to mind.
Happy detecting
Cheers Steve
criticol  
Posted : Tuesday, 18 May 2010 10:05:42 AM(UTC)
criticol

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 48 post(s)
Hi Fellars,
When you get on in years (72) informations gathered in younger days and kept secret to yourself, become like,(What the hell am I ever going to do with that now! So you may as well pass it on to others who share the same interests with the same keeness you had/have, and hope that they get some use from it.
Whilst I was down that way, I prospected up the Murchison river in the middle of winter, and still haven`t thawed out!
If any of you want to try the Hasst area sometime, I know of a good little? creek down that way that also yeilded good nuggets below its quite small and visious, (in and after a heavy rainfall) gorge. This is just North of Hasst,and it took years to track it down, because the Original Name for this creek kept getting changed over the intervening years,and no one seemed to recognise the creek that i wanted to find. Take note: that perseverance and research DO pay off.
Anyway it`s located approx around the Knights Point area, and if anyone is serious enough, and would like to prospect it, give me a yell, and I`ll post it. Private e-mail if you like, as somethimes you dont like to put all your cards on the table?
I used to use an old (Repeat old!) Prinze Sonic Tr/rec detector in those days, and it was pretty good too! But just recently I purchased a Pulse Induction one, (long time between drinks ehh!)and plan to use this (when I`ve Mastered????? its intricate workings (yeah right!)as once again research has turned up what could be some real juicy spots that wern`t much mentioned in old mining records due to smallness of finds,even though these little finds were of the large sized type!(asides here:I have quite a good library of old records and maps of nz mining places, but they are getting slightly delapidated now due to me marking/highlighting parts Also the wear and tear of myself glutinously pooring over their subjective pages.(Damn, I lessened their values, and my retirement fund.)
One of my fingers just fell off, now i`ve only got half a one to continue typing with, so i`ll pack it in now.
Another aside: If you`d like to read a bit of a profile of myself, just GOOGLE: "Alchemy and Alchemical gold" Dont laugh too long, because you`ll get sore ribs.

Cheers and regards---Colin.
gavin  
Posted : Wednesday, 19 May 2010 12:51:29 AM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Hi Colin,

I'll be sure to pick your brains about this spot when I'm back in NZ if you're still keen to share / fancy a joint adventure (in the UK on hols at the mo).

Might be the place I find my first nugget ;) Only been finding flakes so far, but don't get out in to the bush as much as I'd like to increase my chances. Still a relative newbie at fossicking!

Cheers,
Gavin