New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

2 Pages12>
nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Sunday, 4 September 2011 11:18:09 PM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 384 time(s) in 329 post(s)
Hi guys...had a great day today..went out hunting from around 1pm to 5pm and found a total of 42 coins including $10.00 gold coins $3.00 of which i spent on the way home as i was thirsty..lol..i had Chrischch and his family with me.i think they had a good time and chris himself learned alittle bit about different signals and what not...
this place is within walking distance of my place...i have only been there 3 times and in total have found 90 coins so far in an area smaller than my yard..most of the coins are the older 1 cent 2 cent and 10 cent..but i have a few half pennys from there and also my silver shilling came from there...i am now going to start doing a grid search of the place as it seams to hold alot of coins both new and old alike..and it is a decent size place ..lol

the coin under the gold coins is a different one..on one side it says New Penny and under that it has a crown then under the crown it as 1/2......on the other side it has DG.REG.FD 1971 on one side of queens head and on other it just say elizabeth II doesnt say what country it comes from or anything like that.

Edited by user Sunday, 4 September 2011 11:26:51 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

nzpoohbear40 attached the following image(s):
Sept 4th 2011 finds.jpg
Chris - Fisher Dealer http://www.puiakisupply.co.nz/
creamer  
Posted : Monday, 5 September 2011 8:16:53 AM(UTC)
creamer

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 525 time(s) in 391 post(s)
Hi poohbear. Wot you have there is an english penny and a half. Came around in 1971 because of the change to decimal currency. Was a very small coin thus not a very popular one at the time. I have one myself which i found near my front door..

Shane

Edited by user Monday, 5 September 2011 8:17:47 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Monday, 5 September 2011 8:43:36 AM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Man
New Zealand

thanks for that creamer...chrischch said it was probably from england..lol..
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Monday, 5 September 2011 9:30:59 AM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)
What you have there isnt a penny but rather it is a halfpenny - the penny would have 'One Penny' above a crown sitting on a portcullis with a chain on either side and at the bottom a 1 and the half penny has the words 'New Penny' above just the crown which is above 1/2
nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Tuesday, 6 September 2011 12:08:49 AM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Man
New Zealand

yup it says new penny then crown then the 1/2...lol...ty lammerlaw...so half penny it is..it was cool just finding somthing different and without a country marking on it.
nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Saturday, 10 September 2011 6:08:07 PM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Man
New Zealand

Well went to this same spot today...i did half the rugby field and came away with 106 coins and 2 keys..including 2 florins and a shilling...there is $20.00 in spending money..lol....so all together so far i have found 198 coins at this site and plenty of room to go there yet.

Edited by user Saturday, 10 September 2011 6:09:38 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

nzpoohbear40 attached the following image(s):
todays finds3.jpg
rgmcbrid  
Posted : Saturday, 10 September 2011 9:15:14 PM(UTC)
rgmcbrid

Man

Was thanked: 180 time(s) in 140 post(s)
Pretty good day you had there NZPB, hope to take my detector out for a walk tomorrow.
nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Saturday, 10 September 2011 9:28:33 PM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Man
New Zealand

oh that will be good eh..i think your detector was starting to think you forgot about it..lol
tonznz  
Posted : Saturday, 10 September 2011 11:51:50 PM(UTC)
tonznz

Medals: Donation: Made a second donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you once again! :)

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 152 post(s)
Originally Posted by: nzpoohbear40 Go to Quoted Post
Well went to this same spot today...i did half the rugby field and came away with 106 coins and 2 keys..including 2 florins and a shilling...there is $20.00 in spending money..lol....so all together so far i have found 198 coins at this site and plenty of room to go there yet.

How do you dig the holes? Do you dig three sides of a piece of grass and flip the divet over, recover the target, and flip the divet back. Or do you do the fancy coin probe way some americans do it, locate the target exactly with the probe, then ease the target gently out like key hole surgery? I'm just curious.
nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Sunday, 11 September 2011 8:39:09 AM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Man
New Zealand

i normally do a complete circle and take the divit right out and set it aside..then check the hole and divit for the target..once target is located i put divit back in hole and stomp it down nicely with my heel to make sure it is back in place.....most of the time you cant tell i dug there other than the bit of dirt around the hole
crisyboy  
Posted : Sunday, 11 September 2011 8:59:37 AM(UTC)
crisyboy

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 69 post(s)
i normally do a complete circle and take the divit right out and set it aside..then check the hole and divit for the target..once target is located i put divit back in hole and stomp it down nicely with my heel to make sure it is back in place.....most of the time you cant tell i dug there other than the bit of dirt around the hole

great finds there mate,love all the pics,i dig my holes like that
simple and tidy.
tonznz  
Posted : Sunday, 11 September 2011 9:16:21 AM(UTC)
tonznz

Medals: Donation: Made a second donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you once again! :)

Man
New Zealand

Thanks for that, good info. As the summer moves on it becomes harder to dig and make tidy the holes as the ground becomes all crumbly and dry. So for me the best time for public fields is over the autum, winter and spring. On land I use my LCD screen to hunt for coins. My minelab sovereign GT has an optional LCD screen which I use to work out what coins I am digging up before I make the hole. I don't have it hooked up at present as I am doing beaches. Well it gives me a range at least for lots of coins or other targets, and sometimes precise numbers for some targets. For example I tune the LCD readout to read the $2 as +200. So everytime it reads +200, 99% of the time it will be that a $2 coin. Public fields are bloody brilliant for targets though. Some fields, such as school fields, have hundreds of targets. At schools though I tend to stick to the bark playgrounds.
1864hatter  
Posted : Sunday, 11 September 2011 10:47:52 PM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 566 time(s) in 269 post(s)
Lucky for me you cant have done too many of the parks around dunedin yet! I still seem to be finding more old coins than i know what to do with.
And now....On sandy beaches and muddy soil, rings and coins await my coil!
tonznz  
Posted : Sunday, 11 September 2011 10:56:33 PM(UTC)
tonznz

Man
New Zealand

Originally Posted by: 1864hatter Go to Quoted Post
Lucky for me you cant have done too many of the parks around dunedin yet! I still seem to be finding more old coins than i know what to do with.

No. I have tended to do the beaches. Been out so many times to St Kilda, mornings, nights, afternoons in the weekends. Just came back from tonight from st kilda, There have been some massive collapses of sand from the dunes today. If anyone had been near them it would have buried them! Hope there's no missing tourists! Plenty of coins there. So I'm not looking elsewhere at present. Happy hunting. If you see me out and about please come over and introduce yourself. Cheers
1864hatter  
Posted : Sunday, 11 September 2011 11:31:21 PM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 566 time(s) in 269 post(s)
Thus far i have never come across anyone detecting anywhere and i go out a fair bit, maybe 3 or 4 times a week. Mind you apart froma couple of trips to the beach i have stayed away from the sea as i found it quite a bit different to park detecting and the parks are closer to NEV. I was down at ST Kilda just for a walk a week or so after the storm and i know what you mean about big cuts into the banK! Meters rather than cm of sand have shifted in some places, must be great there for ya at the moment
And now....On sandy beaches and muddy soil, rings and coins await my coil!
tonznz  
Posted : Sunday, 11 September 2011 11:45:22 PM(UTC)
tonznz

Man
New Zealand

Have you tried Frasers gully where the trees have been cut down. Someone told me about it. I don't even know really where it is. Just that there used to be old old houses there and someone I know found a 1853 enfield bullet sticking out of the soil recently. Bet its a good place. Let me know if you try it.
nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Monday, 12 September 2011 12:08:22 AM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Man
New Zealand

yes it is very hard to keep a clean hole sometimes but i find that as long as you do your best to keep it tidy the parks and school ppl dont mind you digging...it is when someone comes along and digs a hole and doesnt refill it that they start to complain..
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Monday, 12 September 2011 12:17:27 AM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Originally Posted by: tonznz Go to Quoted Post
Have you tried Frasers gully where the trees have been cut down. Someone told me about it. I don't even know really where it is. Just that there used to be old old houses there and someone I know found a 1853 enfield bullet sticking out of the soil recently. Bet its a good place. Let me know if you try it.

Interesting - what differentiates an 1853 Enfield bullet form any other? I am curious about that.
tonznz  
Posted : Monday, 12 September 2011 8:39:09 AM(UTC)
tonznz

Man
New Zealand

Hi Lammerlaw,

the one he said he found was the same as the one on the left. Weight 30 grams, diametre just over 13mm, length 27mm. The 1853 pattern enfield rifle was the standard rifle at the time in NZ wasn't it?

Here's link to discussion on it. The right bullet is the later snider-enfield round with lubrication rings from my research.

http://www.google.co.nz/...isch&um=1&itbs=1

copy and paste this. Not that you need to I know. Shed some more light on it if you like.

I have found about 20-30 or so of these metal detecting at certain beaches around Dunedin.

Edited by user Monday, 12 September 2011 9:22:23 AM(UTC)  | Reason: error

File Attachment(s):
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Monday, 12 September 2011 9:29:29 AM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Originally Posted by: tonznz Go to Quoted Post
Hi Lammerlaw,

the one he said he found was the same as the one on the left. Weight 30 grams, diametre just over 13mm, length 27mm. The 1853 pattern enfield rifle was the standard rifle at the time in NZ wasn't it?

Here's link to discussion on it. The right bullet is the later snider-enfield round with lubrication rings from my research.

http://www.google.co.nz/...isch&um=1&itbs=1

copy and paste this. Not that you need to I know. Shed some more light on it if you like.

I have found about 20-30 or so of these metal detecting at certain beaches around Dunedin.

Yes it is likely to find such bullets so a good observation - I have found that Snider bullets seemed to be the most common with some Martini Henry but then again it was around Waikouaiti that I did most of my detecting. Theres a spot there where I have not actually looked with the detector but I do know that somewhere close by there will be extremely large numbers of Snider bullets because my grandfather and I picked up large numbers of decayed Snider cases and there was a rifle range there.

Yes indeed the Pattern 1853 was the standard rifle in New Zealand - I think they were first brought out by two British regiments and used from about halfway through the Maori Wars through to the end...strangely enough they later had Callisher and Terry Capping Breech loaders. In 1867 the Snider was adopted in Britain and of course they were initially converted Enfields. They arrived in NZ too late to take an active part in the wars though it is said that Gilbert Mair may have taken one into the field to try which does make sense.
Ironically enough Te Kooti had an ultra modern Spencer lever action rim fire repeating carbine and could fire seven shots in the time a British soldiers fired one!

Edited by user Monday, 12 September 2011 9:39:02 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

2 Pages12>