New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

bluecod  
Posted : Friday, 26 June 2015 7:38:37 PM(UTC)
bluecod

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Anyone able to tell me cheers
simon  
Posted : Friday, 26 June 2015 8:32:15 PM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
if you do a search of the forum i think this has been well discussed several times before so will have a fair bit of info.

in brief it doesn't matter what size your sluice is as you have 3 choices to use it:
1. in a public area - i don't think anyone is measuring but really its just about having a good size to easily carry about.
2. buy a claim and you can have any size you choose.
3. use your sluice on the sly somewhere. this could be doc land, linz land, someones farm, whatever. legally you can't use any size so if you are in such a situation size doesn't matter.

most sluices don't need to be any longer than say what a keene a52 is. the only exception that comes to mind is if you have a long tom on a beach for really fine gold. its really just the first part of the sluice doing the work so theres no real need to have a longer length sluice.

a good rule of thumb is make a sluice that fits in the width of your vehicle boot. a sluice is pretty awkward so if it can travel flat you can also stow tools such as picks, crowbars, levers, short handled spades all within the sluice, then just throw your bags etc over the top.
bluecod  
Posted : Friday, 26 June 2015 8:39:55 PM(UTC)
bluecod

New Zealand

Hi thanks for the info i have a keene but i also have a folded alloy one i thought i would try it out.is there a good up to date map on public fossicking areas.cheers regards ken

Edited by user Friday, 26 June 2015 8:41:05 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

nafcd  
Posted : Saturday, 27 June 2015 12:22:03 AM(UTC)
nafcd

New Zealand

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 34 post(s)
1m x 200mm is the limit but as simon said. just keep it small enough to be comfortable to carry
simon  
Posted : Saturday, 27 June 2015 6:46:29 PM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
who says that is the limit. is that for a particular rec ground?

200mm width isn't much. all the sluices i can think of are built wider than 200mm. Basically thats stopping you using any production type sluice such as the keene A52. i think they A51 would also be too wide. So really we're talking skinny sluices that you would have to heavily classify material down to pebbles and less. Has anyone been pulled up for too big a sluice where these rules apply? the detectorist and the sniper will be banned next.
nafcd  
Posted : Saturday, 27 June 2015 10:40:23 PM(UTC)
nafcd

New Zealand

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 34 post(s)
a guy at DOC told me that when I started fossicking a couple of years ago. I were going to Goldsborough but I didnt ask him if it was for all public areas.

Edited by user Saturday, 27 June 2015 10:42:43 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified