New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

G-old  
Posted : Sunday, 28 June 2015 1:13:27 AM(UTC)
G-old

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I was having a yarn to a friend of mine about going for a pan in sluice on my way to Dunedin next week and he told me i mite standing on some toes if i have a crack at the shag river as its now under claim , any idears on were else is easy to find a bit of colour with the family , but close to the main road n kid friendly on the trip down , not after a lot just a bit of a break in a stretch of the legs.
Nz13  
Posted : Tuesday, 30 June 2015 10:35:14 PM(UTC)
Nz13

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
A bugger about the shag dude but I hear about trotters gorge at the camp ground easy access and a good area for the kids :)
dragonfly  
Posted : Friday, 3 July 2015 7:37:12 PM(UTC)
dragonfly

New Zealand

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Not to doubt your mate but i cant find any claim on the shag or even a claim pending.
nafcd  
Posted : Friday, 3 July 2015 9:08:48 PM(UTC)
nafcd

New Zealand

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 34 post(s)
there is an area near morrisons that may be or about to be under claim
1864hatter  
Posted : Saturday, 4 July 2015 1:22:00 PM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 566 time(s) in 269 post(s)
Look here, to put this to rest. It is a permit under application. Permit number 60023.01, Seems to cover a good part of the main river.
Given the local geology it is highly probable that there is gold to be found in most of the streams in this part of the world. To a more or lesser extent. In case the permit applicant is reading this- You may want to keep an eye on your concentrates. Sapphires and zircons can be found in the shag. They can be up to 2-3mm in size. They are blue and pink respectively.

Edited by user Saturday, 4 July 2015 1:27:02 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1864hatter attached the following image(s):
Capture.PNG
And now....On sandy beaches and muddy soil, rings and coins await my coil!
sig  
Posted : Sunday, 5 July 2015 5:31:07 PM(UTC)
sig

thanks dude much appreciated that you cleared that up as it is me that has the application on the shag hope to find some good stuff
1864hatter  
Posted : Sunday, 5 July 2015 6:13:26 PM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 566 time(s) in 269 post(s)
I'm sure you will do fine. As I said, keep an eye out for those coloured stones. Let me know if you find any, Id be keen to own some!
And now....On sandy beaches and muddy soil, rings and coins await my coil!
sig  
Posted : Monday, 6 July 2015 12:08:08 PM(UTC)
sig

Originally Posted by: 1864hatter Go to Quoted Post
I'm sure you will do fine. As I said, keep an eye out for those coloured stones. Let me know if you find any, Id be keen to own some!

Sure will ill post some pics if i find any thanks again
garrymac  
Posted : Tuesday, 7 July 2015 9:04:44 PM(UTC)
garrymac

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Hi Sig,I,m curious as to how much work you have put into the river prospecting. I know a bit about whats been dredged and also who has been in there over the last few years and creamed the best spots from the rock wall up past shag valley station. Only one decent nugget found---just over 3 ounce, a few smaller nuggs but not much else. I was also in conversation with personal from regional council and they were not keen on a claim being put on the river because of water quality when there is low flow.But you never know with government departments, good luck mate!!!
Aotea  
Posted : Wednesday, 8 July 2015 9:17:50 PM(UTC)
Aotea

New Zealand

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 15 post(s)
I wouldnt worry a jot about the Regional Council, they are a bunch of donkeys at best. Have beaten them on RMA law more than once. If the plan and rule 13.5.1.7 permits it, then its permitted no matter what those coozers said. The management are incompetent and tired, and the councillors are tired and lazy. If you want help getting that paperwork in order, for a hobby project that is (as the bigger commercial guys can pay a consultant), just ask..
sig  
Posted : Sunday, 12 July 2015 9:59:23 PM(UTC)
sig

Originally Posted by: Aotea Go to Quoted Post
I wouldnt worry a jot about the Regional Council, they are a bunch of donkeys at best. Have beaten them on RMA law more than once. If the plan and rule 13.5.1.7 permits it, then its permitted no matter what those coozers said. The management are incompetent and tired, and the councillors are tired and lazy. If you want help getting that paperwork in order, for a hobby project that is (as the bigger commercial guys can pay a consultant), just ask..

thanks dude hope it all goes to plan so far so good