New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

Zarcon  
Posted : Tuesday, 21 July 2015 10:37:59 PM(UTC)
Zarcon

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Who owns the rings found metal detecting I'm talking rings below the high tide mark,
any one know of what the law is?

Edited by user Tuesday, 21 July 2015 10:39:31 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Tuesday, 21 July 2015 11:52:56 PM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 322 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Zarcon Go to Quoted Post
Who owns the rings found metal detecting I'm talking rings below the high tide mark,
any one know of what the law is?

I have seen the question asked before but never seen a clear answer and I think that may be
because there are so many variables. For example if the looser claimed insurance does the insurance co have a claim?
If it is a common design well then how do you prove ownership? Was it lost where you found it? etc. etc.
Obvious fresh drops should probably go to the cop shop for 3 months although I had one returned in 2 months.
I keep a finds diary for the jewellery I recover.

MK

Mudwiggle  
Posted : Wednesday, 22 July 2015 1:16:21 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

Groups: Registered, Moderators
New Zealand

Was thanked: 683 time(s) in 317 post(s)
Likewise.

If it's old (black silver/green gold or deep, relative to the substrate) then unless it has traceable inscriptions etc then it goes into the swag bag.
Recent, bespoke or high value rings go to the local Blue Boys. I get roughly 4/5 back.

If the person has claimed on their insurance, then the ring becomes the property of the Insurance Co. There was a bespoke ring found after 6yrs in the surf at Russell not long ago which was traced to the owners, but they had claimed so the Insurance got the original ring - As you can expect, the Insurance Co. made things very awkward for the couple to get their original ring back as they had paid out. Was in the media for quite a bit. Google lost ring Russell and you should find the saga.

I found one ring up here last year which had the full name and a date. Turned out to be a wedding date and I eventually traced it back to the woman in Argentina (Hint to travellers: Keep a blog of your holiday travels). She was over the moon when she received a package from NZ. Felt good.

To the letter of the law, if you find a ring and pocket it, you are technically stealing by finding, or whatever the legal jibberjabber is.
As to whether there's a judge in NZ who would consider it worth their time.... I doubt it.

Let your conscience guide you, and if in doubt hand it in - you'll likely get it back anyway.

Good idea to keep a diary for the valuables though, might start that.
oneounce  
Posted : Wednesday, 22 July 2015 2:39:27 PM(UTC)
oneounce

Medals: Donation: Made a second donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you once again! :)

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 134 time(s) in 52 post(s)
Mudwiggle - you pretty much nailed it.

Thanks

CTX3030
Excalibur 11
Detecknix Xpointer
Gray Ghost Underwater Headphones
Gog Headphones

Detecting - Knowledge is Power
Zarcon  
Posted : Wednesday, 22 July 2015 6:43:41 PM(UTC)
Zarcon

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I think we should all go the Mudwiggle way
thanks
Zarcon