New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

bill145  
Posted : Tuesday, 21 July 2015 11:43:12 PM(UTC)
bill145

Groups: Registered

Hi Guys newbie here looking for an above entry level MD for general work beaches, parks, not necessarily gold as I live just 20km sth of chch near Lincoln uni.
Thought maybe a Fisher F4 would be good to start out, but not sure o speding $540.00 or so and find its not for me.
So anyone out there with a good MD for sale thats NOT a Trade me toy ??. What are the Garrett Euro aces like or the minelab go find 60, they look a bit toy like
Your opinions
sycotoad  
Posted : Wednesday, 22 July 2015 10:51:46 AM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Was thanked: 126 time(s) in 97 post(s)
Hi Bill -

The F4 is a good choice however the New ones from Fisher F44 seem to be a little more suited to NZ conditions being weatherproof for example - I am not sure if the NZ Dealer stocks them or not - Others to consider in a similar price range would be the Teknetics Eurotek Pro (absolutely loved this unit) or Delta 4000. Now both of these have fixed ground balance so you cannot manually GB but I havent yet experienced heavy miniralization here to warrant having to manually GB.

Now I am also not one to rubbish a product I have not personally used but the Go Pro's dont seem to have much positive feedback regarding their capabilities so at this stage it one of the very few Minelabs I wouldnt Go Near -

There are a host of detectors that fit your requirements Bill but if I were in the same boat I would head toward a unit that can take the 'Greek Series' coils so that if you do end up liking the hobby you can build up quite an arsenal of coils which will work on quite a few other detectors -

Gold Bug
G2
Omega
Gamma
Delta
Alpha
F5
ETP
F44 & possibly others that escape me at this time -

I am sure Rob the NZ Fisher Dealer can help provide more solid advice -

The only unit I can help you with at this stage is a rebranded T2 on a 'try before you buy' deal - Its certainly NOT for the faint hearted to use one of these around here as they are made in China but are as good as the ones presumably, made in the USA -

I almost forgot - The Garretts are also great detectors however they do not have a numbered TDI which helps you identify your targets a little quicker but they certainly provide the fun in detecting -

Anyways Bill I hope I have provided you with something to ponder anyways - Good luck with your hunt
Makro - Nokta - deteknix - GoldFinder
bill145  
Posted : Wednesday, 22 July 2015 6:34:57 PM(UTC)
bill145

Yes thanks for that info gotta start somewhere I guess
sycotoad  
Posted : Wednesday, 22 July 2015 8:40:57 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Sorry Bill - I completely missed that fact that you want to hunt beaches as well -

If you are wet sand hunting then you will need a machine with manual GB - I am sorry if I have caused you any confusion -

Fisher F4
Tek Gamma 6000
Minelab XT305

Cheers
chchnuggetdetect  
Posted : Thursday, 23 July 2015 3:38:27 PM(UTC)
chchnuggetdetect

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Not sure how useful VLF is around wet sand.. PI is good in wet even if must dig everything

I see there is an F2 on TradeMe now starting at $150 + $12 post

I'd certainly agree the F4 is nicer but F2 is easy to onsell later anyway

http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=921757830
sycotoad  
Posted : Thursday, 23 July 2015 8:12:36 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

WoW that F2 was a bargain and went fast ......