New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

roger51  
Posted : Tuesday, 25 August 2015 6:47:26 PM(UTC)
roger51

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi All
Has anybody purchased or can comment on these Detectors (Metal Detector Prof. Treasure Hunt LED Display) as per Trade Me, They appears to be a no name Chinese brand. They look a lot like a Fisher F2 T.M price $179.00.
The old saying " If it seems to good to be true it properly is "
I have also be inquiring about Fossicking Areas in the North Island, see below for my last response from N Z P and M, as I`am not any of the Groups mentioned below I think I may have a problem.
I will contact the Regional and / or Local council and see how I get on, will keep you informed ( I`am in the Taranaki Area )

Roger

Hello Roger,

You’re absolutely correct. There are a lot of great historical areas in the North Island that would make ideal fossicking areas, however we do not control where these are set up.

The fossicking areas are officially called Special Purpose Mining Permits. The criteria to open one of these is listed below. What we suggest from here is asking your Regional and Local councils about setting one up in your area.

10.7 Special purpose mining activities
(1) A mining permit for a special purpose mining activity may be granted to enable historical mining methods to be demonstrated. These permits are likely to be applied for by historical societies, museum trusts or other similar bodies. Mining permits for special purpose mining activities will always be Tier 2 permits.
(2) A permit for a special purpose mining activity will ordinarily be granted if the Minister is satisfied that:
(a) the applicant seeks the mining permit to undertake mining operations for demonstrating historical methods of mining
(b) the area of the application is no greater than five hectares, and
(c) the applicant is an historical society, museum trust, or other similar party, including an educational institution.

Good luck Roger!

Regards,

Adam Mace
LEAD ADVISOR
New Zealand Petroleum & Minerals - Energy & Resource Markets
Ministry of Business, Innovation & Employment