New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

Eargasm  
Posted : Wednesday, 26 August 2015 10:49:41 PM(UTC)
Eargasm

Groups: Registered

d

Edited by user Monday, 23 May 2016 10:44:55 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

WestieDigger  
Posted : Wednesday, 26 August 2015 11:27:50 PM(UTC)
WestieDigger

New Zealand

Was thanked: 291 time(s) in 135 post(s)
Have you also looked at the Minelab Go Find Detectors? I llooked very closely at the F2 and F4 but settled on a euroace as a first detector because of the cheaper batteries. The GoFind range came out a bit after that.
I like the Euro Ace and it paid itself off in coins in no time at all.
I have seen a gold bug in action and it was very impressive on grass for coins and silver.
One thing to remember is the Ace detectors suck at the beach on wet saltwater sand you have to dial the sensitivity down to a few bars but in the dry sand they are awesome . Can't comment on the other detectors on wet saltwater sand as I haven't seen them in action at the beach.
Leave some money in the budget for a pinpointer. ....
2016 Totals

Gold 0
Silver 3
Silver coins 25
Returns 2

my blog-
http://westiedigger.blogspot.co.nz
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Thursday, 27 August 2015 7:48:03 AM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

Groups: Registered, Moderators
New Zealand

Was thanked: 683 time(s) in 317 post(s)
"... Ace detectors suck at the beach on wet saltwater sand "

Ohh...You're in trouble when I tell Creamer you said that about the Ace Westie :)

Edited by user Thursday, 27 August 2015 7:49:26 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Eargasm  
Posted : Thursday, 27 August 2015 9:51:05 AM(UTC)
Eargasm

Thanks for the replys. I only really wanna spend up to 500 and get the best bang for my buck (no pun intended) that's why I was thinking if I got a good condition second hand one I could get something that covered the beach as well thanks for the tips. Anyone got a good deal going for a beginner?

Edited by user Thursday, 27 August 2015 9:52:24 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Thursday, 27 August 2015 11:20:38 AM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 322 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Eargasm Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for the replys. I only really wanna spend up to 500 and get the best bang for my buck (no pun intended) that's why I was thinking if I got a good condition second hand one I could get something that covered the beach as well thanks for the tips. Anyone got a good deal going for a beginner?

Eargasm you should check out the Minelab Go Find Range as Westie suggested.
Either the 40 or the 60 are both under $500 and designed for the beginner.

Click here:

http://www.detectnz.co.n...r+range/x_cat/00319.html

Then contact me if you have any queries.
[email protected]

MK
DetectNZ

sycotoad  
Posted : Thursday, 27 August 2015 4:57:30 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Was thanked: 126 time(s) in 97 post(s)
Personally I would go with a Fisher F2 - Absolutely the best pick for someone starting out -

Nice big VDI which breaks down targets via the TDI - Its certainly deep enough, sensitive, well constructed and comes with a 5 year warranty - Unlike the Go Find units you can change out the coils of which there is a good selection to choose from - There is also a NZ agent who will make sure you are looked after -

I started with an F2 and sold it after a few months thinking I needed to upgrade - I didn't really as I did not know how good the F2 actually was until I started testing and reviewing other units -

If there was a Teknetics agent here in NZ then I would recommend the Eurotek Pro otherwise if you can pay a little more check out the Fisher F44 as its coil compatible with so many other detectors currently on the market & finally to strengthen the argument for the F2 -

The language - once you learn the F series language it can be easily transferred over to Teknetics machines as well as the Turkish Makro/Nokta units so not only are you getting a great introductory detector with the F2 but you are learning an important language which is easily recognized amongst many popular machines.

Good luck with whatever you decide
Makro - Nokta - deteknix - GoldFinder
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Thursday, 27 August 2015 5:18:58 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

Groups: Registered, Moderators
New Zealand

Was thanked: 683 time(s) in 317 post(s)
Pretty much what Syco said regarding the F2 / F4

I too sold my F4 to upgrade, as I thought it was a beginners machine but then with experience realised how capable it was and bought another F4 again to compliment the bigger machine.

Any of the sub-$600 machines will struggle with the salt sand, but having said that, by having a manual groundbalance and understanding how to fine tune the machine to the environment you can make them work in a satisfactory manner.
They will never be as good as a $1,000 machine, but I have sucked many goodies out of the wet sand on the beach with the F4.

Better to get a machine that you can grow into, rather than one you'll quickly grow out of (or get frustrated by).
Any of the machines mentioned above will be fine for dirt though.

I wouldn't go Gold Bug unless you were planning on chasing the shiny rocks down south.

MW

Edited by user Thursday, 27 August 2015 5:21:23 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

WestieDigger  
Posted : Thursday, 27 August 2015 7:14:32 PM(UTC)
WestieDigger

New Zealand

Was thanked: 291 time(s) in 135 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mudwiggle Go to Quoted Post
Ace detectors suck at the beach on wet saltwater sand "

Ohh...You're in trouble when I tell Creamer you said that about the Ace Westie :)

Sorry I sincerely apologize to creamer and will rephrase that
"my euroace detector sucks at manukau harbour beaches on wet saltwater sand with high ironsand content"
I was mislead by YouTube videos of people using aces on beaches in the USA as I did not realize that they were showing detecting at fresh water lakes beaches so when I first got my euroace I was initially disappointed with the falsing at the beach.
I now know that if I drop the sensitivity to a few bars and then ground balance by turning it off and back on while on the wet saltwater sand I can achieve good results but with a significant loss of depth compared to the performance on dry sand or grassed areas.
Interestingly central auckland volcanic soil when completly saturated by weeks of rain sometimes causes similar problems for the ace but that's only if its been pouring down for days on end .
Edit whatever machine you choose if its a well rreviewed model you will find enough coins to pay it off reasonably soon and you will be addicted.

Edited by user Thursday, 27 August 2015 7:23:04 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

2016 Totals

Gold 0
Silver 3
Silver coins 25
Returns 2

my blog-
http://westiedigger.blogspot.co.nz
creamer  
Posted : Saturday, 29 August 2015 9:36:56 AM(UTC)
creamer

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 525 time(s) in 391 post(s)
Hi there Eargasm. Go the Ace 250 they are an awesome machine. Alot of detectors are hard to control on the wet sand depending on the beach conditions. I wouldnt worry too much bout that its the overall performance that counts.
With a 250 you will be happy as. As time goes on you can move on to a bigger machine.
Good luck out there.

HH

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
andy  
Posted : Saturday, 29 August 2015 10:51:18 AM(UTC)
andy

Australia

Was thanked: 88 time(s) in 72 post(s)
fisher also has their new line of detectors that are basicly up graded versions of the F2 and F4 etc they are the F22 and F44 and well worth a look at!
ATpro
ACE250
GC1010
teknetics Eurotek Pro
Eargasm  
Posted : Thursday, 10 September 2015 10:11:20 PM(UTC)
Eargasm

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replys, I ended up getting a minelab 60. I Don't really like the shovel that came with it. What would be a cheap upgrade for a handheld shovel?

I wouldn't mind buying a cheapish handheld pinpointer as well, I find the built in one isn't very easy to use if your already digging and standing up again is frustrating to use the mine labs one is frustrating.

Does anyone have any recommendations or have one they wouldn't mind flicking off ?

There's a tx2002 on trademe but I'm guessing it's probably not the best ?

Also if any body could give me some tips on easiest and most enviro friendly way of digging.

Cheers Jonny.

Edited by user Thursday, 10 September 2015 10:13:49 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Iggyrulz  
Posted : Friday, 11 September 2015 12:34:04 AM(UTC)
Iggyrulz

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

New Zealand

Was thanked: 327 time(s) in 196 post(s)
Hi Jonny don't wast your money on a cheap pointer ( I tried a cheapy one before I got the Pro Pointer and it was useless at best)
Spend a little more on a good one and you won't regret it. By the sounds of it the X pointer is pretty good and well priced although I haven't tried one myself. I'm more than happy with the GPP and Minelab make one as well.
If you can get out for quick wee hunt with one of the locals up there I am sure they will steer you in the right direction. One thing to watch in the peak of summer is the dry ground conditions.....you may leave a plug looking mint only to return a week later and find a dead patch of grass.
Good luck out there with the new Minelab
Iggy
creamer  
Posted : Saturday, 12 September 2015 10:08:34 AM(UTC)
creamer

Man

Was thanked: 525 time(s) in 391 post(s)
The Deteknix Xpointer is the rage at the moment. Using one meself they are awesome. Reasonably priced compared to others and comes with pouch and clip.

[email protected]

www.detectdirect.co.nz

HH

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
sycotoad  
Posted : Sunday, 13 September 2015 10:11:17 AM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Originally Posted by: Eargasm Go to Quoted Post
Hey guys,

Thanks for the replys, I ended up getting a minelab 60. I Don't really like the shovel that came with it. What would be a cheap upgrade for a handheld shovel?

I wouldn't mind buying a cheapish handheld pinpointer as well, I find the built in one isn't very easy to use if your already digging and standing up again is frustrating to use the mine labs one is frustrating.

Does anyone have any recommendations or have one they wouldn't mind flicking off ?

There's a tx2002 on trademe but I'm guessing it's probably not the best ?

Also if any body could give me some tips on easiest and most enviro friendly way of digging.

Cheers Jonny.

did they not have any decent retrieval tools & pointers where you got your detector from?

my recommendations are a Lesche - from local dealer

X-Pointer - from where ever

military web belt to carry the gear and youtube - trapdoor or flap plugs when cutting a plug in conjunction with soil conditions - Good luck with the Go Find 60 as it would be great to get some real life feedback on those detectors by kiwi's

Eargasm  
Posted : Sunday, 13 September 2015 6:12:55 PM(UTC)
Eargasm

No the shop I brought it from had other detectors and telescopes but no pointers.

I can try give some feedback once I get a good day out, I haven't used any others though so I can't really compare it to anything.
sycotoad  
Posted : Monday, 14 September 2015 12:05:55 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

OK - even though you don't yet posses the knowledge, your posts are as valuable as the next persons - I myself enjoy reading posts by those just starting out - They tend to be unbiased and honest as well as reliving what it was like for me starting out -

I hope you really do end up enjoying this rewarding hobby and good luck with your hunts oh & please keep posting