New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

Iggyrulz  
Posted : Sunday, 30 August 2015 11:06:55 AM(UTC)
Iggyrulz

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Was thanked: 327 time(s) in 196 post(s)
Hi guys I have had a coil cover on my machine since new and it has never been off once. I have been having a bit of trouble with falsing and chatter lately so decided to remove the cover for a wee look and was amazed at how much crap was under there.
After a good clean of coil and cover a definite improvement, I have also been leaving the cell behind or turning it off as it may have been a cause of interference as well.

Happy hunting Iggy
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Sunday, 30 August 2015 5:32:58 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

Groups: Registered, Moderators
New Zealand

Was thanked: 683 time(s) in 317 post(s)
Always pays to clean the cover after a trip to the beach, I once was convinced the coil had died - ended up being a flake of copper that had found its way in there.

As far as cellphones, they don't upset the machine (although the vlf machines will often Bipbipbip when a call or TXT comes in).
Having said that, I leave mine behind when swinging anyway as the mundane life of the real world can wait until I've finished :)
simon  
Posted : Sunday, 30 August 2015 5:49:53 PM(UTC)
simon

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
You could stick a bead of silicon sealant around the coil cover to keep moisture and grit out. if you ever have the need to open it up its easy enough to break the sealant and replace it again.