New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

sycotoad  
Posted : Friday, 2 October 2015 10:36:04 AM(UTC)
sycotoad

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Was thanked: 126 time(s) in 97 post(s)
I am not sure if you have heard of the great Keith Southern when it comes to metal detecting. Both he and the legendary Thomas Dankowski thoroughly test, modify, advise etc not only to manufacturers, but also freely give up their findings and advice to fellow hunters. Then it's entirely up to us on how we use that knowledge into making a informed decision when it comes to getting the right metal detector.
The following is quoted from Mr Southern -

"Racer is more sensitive to smaller gold than the AT-GOLD..even the Gold Bug pro is not quite as hot on small gold as the Racer..

Funny the Racer is on 14Khz and the Multi purpose gold machines are on 18-19khz but they still are not quite as hot..

Hard to believe..

The CoRe is slightly hotter than the Racer..

Keith"

http://www.dankowskidete...m/discussions/list.php?2

Now just to be clear, both the Makro & Nokta out perform the AT Gold & the Fisher Gold Bug Pro when it comes to detecting small gold & guess what? You do NOT need to get another metal detector for the beach or coin and relic hunting. These Turkish units not only do it all but they do it in a manner that has the US manufacturers scratching their heads. The choice has never been easier. Technologically advanced design, coupled with the build quality the US was once renowned for, you get yourself one of the best *all-round VLF's on the market today.

Makro - Nokta - deteknix - GoldFinder
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Friday, 2 October 2015 2:18:58 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

Groups: Registered, Moderators
New Zealand

Was thanked: 683 time(s) in 317 post(s)
The difference could be a slightly cleaner frequency on the Racer, so while having a longer wavelength there could be less 'noise' for the processing circuits to wade through.

sycotoad  
Posted : Saturday, 3 October 2015 12:56:22 AM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

I am not sure MW but I did not think the Racer would be better than a GB Pro on gold because of their different KHz

Hence the reason behind the Racer Gold - perhaps that could be the reason why Makro have not rushed into getting their Gold unit out - It appears their coin/relic machines are hot on small gold when compared to similar detectors

I have certainly settled in with the Fors CoRe now & am shocked at some of the small targets I pull at depth using the 15 x 13" coil - A well balanced easy to swing setup - I also think the small OOR (out of round) coil will be a fantastic nugget hunter & the bonus with that asides from its depth capability is that its epoxy filled and is less likely to false when working around rocks

I am happy to hear these results coming from Mr Keith Southern
kiwijw  
Posted : Tuesday, 6 October 2015 7:59:09 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Best VLF for small gold is the Gold Bug 2.

JW :)
gpx 5000  
Posted : Saturday, 28 November 2015 4:49:11 PM(UTC)
gpx 5000

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 2 post(s)
hi if your wanting something hot for small gold try one of these the nokta fors gold plus i have the at gold a gold bug 2 and my friend has a gold bug pro and this blows them all out of the water the one featured in the video is the fors gold the new one out is the gold plus and runs a higher frequency and more options for gold hunting it out does the gold bug 2 on small gold and depth with good iron and hot rock elimination or audio reject i can get a .5grm flake with standerd coil at 9 10 inchs with good strong signal and with the smal coil i can pick up tiny tiny flakes that are under .1grm . was sceptical at first on wither it would be good but am blown away this video isnt in english but subtitles are but shows the depth of the gold and the gold plus is better again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk7xSr_jbEg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF9p0ytc-H8
sycotoad  
Posted : Saturday, 28 November 2015 10:02:06 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

thanks GPX5000 - it certainly shows how well Nokta & Makro have entered the electronic prospecting market

Also here is some interesting feedback on the Makro Gold Racer -
http://www.dankowskidete...ussions/read.php?2,94494

When you are wanting the best ...........
sycotoad  
Posted : Sunday, 29 November 2015 1:17:17 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Originally Posted by: kiwijw Go to Quoted Post
Best VLF for small gold is the Gold Bug 2.

I think you are right there -

However it will be interenting to see how well it perform against the Makro Gold Racer that runs at 56khz -

I got my money on the Racer, but then again I would say that wouldnt I? lol

kiwijw  
Posted : Sunday, 29 November 2015 10:45:44 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Well Mr sycotoad......you may well be on a winner here. http://www.detectorprosp...cer-by-steve-herschbach/

Good luck out there.

simon  
Posted : Friday, 4 December 2015 9:29:37 PM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
I personally don't know if it would make much difference being better than the GB2 on small gold. I've got gold so small with the GB2 i stopped detecting some spots as it just wasn't worth the time digging such small pieces one at a time. if you're going to be interested in stuff that small i think you may as well do some dredging or sniping. not easy to spot the small stuff in clays when its that small. after splitting the scoop down in halves i've spent what feels like an eternity staring at the dirt trying to figure out which spec is the gold. Really you'd be better off chasing the big gold at the other end of the scale with a minelab and hunting for the deep big stuff. then again maybe we're just too spoilt for choice for gold spots around here i don't know. keen to see how you get on with the two.
sycotoad  
Posted : Saturday, 5 December 2015 3:10:56 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

you certainly put things into perspective Simon -

I agree with you also - I really do not detect for gold as such but it is on my wishlist to have a go at it in Aussie

I too could not be bothered with the micro gold as you stated. Who wants to be spending all day looking for specs of golden flyshite,right? Especially when your eyes are needing new batteries lol

I am more interested in the Racer Gold as I know how good these Turkish units are at hitting small targets at depth with the 14khz CoRe, but I am more intrigued at what depth the 56khz will achieve on small targets as I am under the impression that the more you increase khz the less depth you achieve - I think this to be the case with the GB2 however I do not know this for certain as I have only owned the GB original at 19khz -

If the Racer GOLD does end up being sensitive to micro gold YET still shoots deep, then that could be just the difference some prospectors may find exciting -

Personally myself, I would probably opt for the 19 khz Nokta FORS GOLD + but of course you cant go past a Minelab if you are doing this sort of thing all the time - Still early indications are positive on both Makro's and Nokta's front -

Thanks for the comment Simon and duely noted - its always good to hear from the hard men of detecting
simon  
Posted : Saturday, 5 December 2015 7:29:31 PM(UTC)
simon

Man

Haha. Only thing hard with me and detecting at the moment is finding the time to get out. got myself a minelab now so a bit of incentive to get out.
I think if you're going to detect in australia you need a minelab and probably a couple of coils at least.
1864hatter  
Posted : Saturday, 5 December 2015 10:55:51 PM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 566 time(s) in 269 post(s)
You have to ask yourself, how small a piece of gold do I want to find. If you have a detector that can find flour gold you would find gold all day in any Goldfield but you would still only end up with bugger all at end. Get a detector that finds gold at depth and you are in the money. If you can couple that with getting away up the back country you may even stumble across something decent.
And now....On sandy beaches and muddy soil, rings and coins await my coil!
sycotoad  
Posted : Sunday, 6 December 2015 2:09:18 AM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Originally Posted by: simon Go to Quoted Post
Haha. Only thing hard with me and detecting at the moment is finding the time to get out. got myself a minelab now so a bit of incentive to get out.
I think if you're going to detect in australia you need a minelab and probably a couple of coils at least.

For sure - I will prolly go on one of those gold detecting tours over there and hire their gear - when I find some cash lol

simon  
Posted : Sunday, 6 December 2015 8:54:19 AM(UTC)
simon

Man

yeah, i think thats the way to go. do a tour, get some first hand knowledge from the locals on not only use of the detectors but also the ground there. they usually have a half decent spot to detect too. do your research also so you have lots of questions to ask them. then if you have a bit more time try somewhere yourself. theres loads of great reading about aussie fields, both on forums plus books. if you go to ballarat the museum has a good selection of books for sale.
sycotoad  
Posted : Sunday, 6 December 2015 4:01:08 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Thanks Simon - Yeah when I do go to aussie, Ballarat is where I will be heading -

I have to do my Philippine trip first & thats gunna cost a bomb lol -

Thanks guys for your advice - appreciated ;)
sycotoad  
Posted : Sunday, 6 December 2015 11:31:22 PM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Edited by user Sunday, 6 December 2015 11:33:33 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified