New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

GoldPandemic  
Posted : Monday, 5 October 2015 10:39:16 AM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 102 post(s)
I used special plastic glue & some plastic container packaging. The glue had similar liquidity to superglue; so was scary to put too much on as I did not want it to squash into the light, end hole, or rubber buttons.
The end may not be a hole at all and just a bit of plastic flashing from casting of the case, I imagine around the light it was sealed water tight ( though if rubber see following), and the rubber buttons would not react well to the glue which was only for plastics.
And so the glue may not have made a perfect watertight seal.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Next I put some special (read expensive) thick black plumbing tape over end then duct tape.
The duct tape is only to hold the plubing tape down.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Next I sealed main body with regular plumbing tape, leaving a little gap for the light to shine out.
I know where the buttons are, tested detecting at each stage of water proofing, andsound is still very audible.
UserPostedImage

Then around edges of plastic I placed my black tape, this tape sticks to it's self & stretches to 3 times it's length.
I left a hole in tape for the light.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
And finally coated in (silver)duct tape.
UserPostedImage

For the battery seal I moved the rubber O ring over to the end of the cap thread ( screwy bit).
Next I filed down the corner with a dremel grinder (high powered craft drill), this is to give the larger O ring (pictured on my finger) more room ( I was unable to find a similar thin O ring).
Next I will be cutting the edge of the main body, as the O ring still requires a bit more room for the cap to completely screw down; not a water tight issue but a battery connection issue. You can see in the photo where I've started to do this. (Near my finger nail)
UserPostedImage

Perhaps it might have been easier to get a Garret water proof case & modify it, or even Garret pointer, definitely something I'll consider if this one karks it :D
I'd be happy to do this for others with only minimal cost for the black & duct tape, once I've tested my submarines' sea worthiness.

Sorry for huge pix, doing this from my phone tediously!

Edited by user Monday, 5 October 2015 10:47:04 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Treasure/coins: $1
Other artifacts: 1888 button
Lead: 914g
Copper: 46
WestieDigger  
Posted : Monday, 5 October 2015 8:32:03 PM(UTC)
WestieDigger

New Zealand

Was thanked: 291 time(s) in 135 post(s)
I tried waterproofing my deteknix pinpointer. I would strongly recommend you seal around the light also.
2016 Totals

Gold 0
Silver 3
Silver coins 25
Returns 2

my blog-
http://westiedigger.blogspot.co.nz
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Monday, 5 October 2015 9:19:14 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

Groups: Registered, Moderators
New Zealand

Was thanked: 683 time(s) in 317 post(s)
Originally Posted by: WestieDigger Go to Quoted Post
I tried waterproofing my deteknix pinpointer. I would strongly recommend you seal around the light also.

The Deteknix pointers have a separate lens element glued into the housing (compared to the Garretts which have the LED physically extend through a hole with a neo gasket). I'd be surprised if you got a leak there in the XP (although the land units are highly water resistant, not waterproof).
With any waterbased equipment, scrupulous cleanliness of o rings and seals is imperative. I trashed a $600 marine VHF because of one 40­µm hair compromising the seal.

FWIW, duct tape , being rigid, is a poor seal unless on a smooth flat surface. Any wrinkle = water. I'd be using insulating tape as a minimum, or self-vulcanising tape. This from 30yrs experience waterproofing various bits of kit for diving and associated watersports.

PE is also notoriously difficult to bond to, recommend flaming the plastic with a low heat blowtorch (until just too hot to touch) to raise the surface activity prior to application of any adhesives. When the surface looks 'wet' you're there.

Pandemic, I'd recommend the Sikaflex 221, flamed surface and keyed well with a hacksaw blade or very coarse sandpaper.

MW

GoldPandemic  
Posted : Monday, 5 October 2015 10:48:37 PM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
New Zealand

If you check out the first photo you will see the clear plastic shield was glued over the light hole. (Though not neccessarily perfectly).

The silver duct tape was only applied to hold all the teflon & rubber plumbing sealing in place, though I tried to keep it as wrinkle free as possible.

All I need to do now is duck my head in water to hear the darn thing. Wait my ears retain water & give me hearing damaging infections - darn!

Guess I might have to hook up some earphones to my pointer - have my next project.

Edited by user Monday, 5 October 2015 10:50:00 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Mudwiggle  
Posted : Monday, 5 October 2015 11:01:26 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

Groups: Registered, Moderators
New Zealand

Was thanked: 683 time(s) in 317 post(s)
Originally Posted by: GoldPandemic Go to Quoted Post
If you check out the first photo you will see the clear plastic shield was glued over the light hole. (Though not neccessarily perfectly).

The silver duct tape was only applied to hold all the teflon & rubber plumbing sealing in place, though I tried to keep it as wrinkle free as possible.

All I need to do now is duck my head in water to hear the darn thing. Wait my ears retain water & give me hearing damaging infections - darn!

Guess I might have to hook up some earphones to my pointer - have my next project.

Does the Minelab not have vibrate?
In any case, sound travels much easier through water (he said having aborted a dive due to that heavy doomdoomdoom noise from a ships engine, only to have the vessel in question appear around the headland 30 minutes later! Better safe than sorry though)

Incidentally, You look a right tube, but after diving I jam bog roll in my ears to dry them out quickly works a treat. Everyone else got ear bugs one year except me....Yeah, I was really smug after all the snide comments about my "mental floss" :)

Test the probe in freshwater first, no battery, (bucket of water overnight very roughly equates to a shorter time at depth) - that way if it does leak, no harm.

GoldPandemic  
Posted : Tuesday, 6 October 2015 7:41:26 AM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Man
New Zealand

Oh I get ear infections just from a few ducks under water - its a real pain, it literally hurts like hell having a month long infection taking pain relief supositories & antibiotic injections in the butt.
I don't do any 'real' diving.
Max I'll go to is 3-4m in rivers.

Don't have my earplugs with me at moment and only waterproofed detector coil, so'll just be in knee deep. Saw some cool shags yesterday - they dive and vanish for a minute, give me a cheeky look when they're up reoxygenating. I may try a shag dive if my detector goes nuts, but I'll probably kill the coil hehehe
GoldPandemic  
Posted : Wednesday, 7 October 2015 7:08:21 PM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Man
New Zealand

Yes it does have a vibration.
Had 3 underwater missions today, more expected tomorrow.