New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

GoldPandemic  
Posted : Tuesday, 6 October 2015 8:09:44 AM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 102 post(s)
Part 1

UserPostedImage
I wrapped rubber plumbing tape around skidplate, then put silver duct tape just to hold it in place.

This black rubber tape costs a fortune, but stretches to 3 times it's length. I cut it in half so I had two thin strips, as I was proofing both of my 11" coils.

Next I unscrewed rubber cord protector that goes over plug, the plug is a waterproof screw down design, but I want to keep water far away. So I wrapped the threading in regular white plumbers tape, then screwed back down. At the base I wraped the seal in my black tape, then wrapped the entire thing in duct tape (bit of a messy job).

I might have pix of this at home, in any case I'll be redoing it once more when I purchase another coil shortly.

There is a concern about the holes where the coil screws onto the detector arm, but they appear to be sugly filled with resin.

I have some white light bulb fittings that I've stripped the insides out of and once I get the connection plug off (they used lock glue; heat & pliers will be required, & possibly a vice - smart guys, I tried to unscrew & nearly wore it smooth) I'll slide it down the cord & glue this over the entire coil connection & glue it down with plastic glue.

I'll be waterproofing rest of detector once I return home; currently on an adventure.

I don't plan on going any deeper than 3-4m, so pressure hopefully won't be an issue, & I'll make my shielding tough enough to handle a bit of flexing.
Treasure/coins: $1
Other artifacts: 1888 button
Lead: 914g
Copper: 46
GoldPandemic  
Posted : Wednesday, 7 October 2015 7:04:00 PM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 102 post(s)
Had a dip (straight under) today.
No problems so far.
Although, as it is filled with air, takes some extra managing due to its boyant nature.

Edited by user Wednesday, 7 October 2015 7:05:02 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Treasure/coins: $1
Other artifacts: 1888 button
Lead: 914g
Copper: 46
Goldflinger  
Posted : Wednesday, 7 October 2015 7:33:08 PM(UTC)
Goldflinger

New Zealand

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Originally Posted by: GoldPandemic Go to Quoted Post
Although, as it is filled with air, takes some extra managing due to its boyant nature.

Tape a rock to it! :)

Pilot of a Mighty AT Pro - "Gold Flinger"