New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

Chrispy  
Posted : Friday, 6 November 2015 9:36:36 PM(UTC)
Chrispy

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Was thanked: 230 time(s) in 102 post(s)
Went over to Slab Hut creek late last night ready for an early start this morning. Up at sparrows fart and in the creek moving boulders to uncover some nice gravels. Ended up moving quite a few large rocks but it was well worth it. The rocks by the classifier and shovel all came out of that hole, ended up about waist deep. Ran gravels through the Bazooka for 8 hours for a nice total of 1.05 grams of beautiful shiny gold. Cracker day an heaps of fun.
File Attachment(s):
Chrispy attached the following image(s):
IMG_1176.jpg
IMG_1177.jpg
IMG_1172.jpg
IMG_1173.jpg
IMG_1175.jpg
The Hatter  
Posted : Friday, 6 November 2015 9:51:49 PM(UTC)
The Hatter

New Zealand

Was thanked: 320 time(s) in 125 post(s)
Seems like you did a bit of hard work there Chrispy. And not an Etrac in sight. Pity the coin was a miserable threepence and not a half Crown

Cheers Trev aka " The Hatter"
The Hatter  
Posted : Friday, 6 November 2015 9:53:45 PM(UTC)
The Hatter

New Zealand

30 days hard yakka and you will have an ounce lol

RioGold  
Posted : Monday, 9 November 2015 6:08:33 AM(UTC)
RioGold

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Nice little haul :-) some good looking peaces there! Good to see some reward for hard Yakka!
Thanks for the post
Regards Dave
Cleggie  
Posted : Monday, 9 November 2015 8:15:04 PM(UTC)
Cleggie

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Nice going there Chrispy, some really nice flakes. Thanks for sharing. Slab Hut is one place that I have yet to visit, looks like a good place to fossick and is on my list now.
Chrispy  
Posted : Monday, 9 November 2015 8:26:22 PM(UTC)
Chrispy

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

New Zealand

Originally Posted by: Cleggie Go to Quoted Post
Nice going there Chrispy, some really nice flakes. Thanks for sharing. Slab Hut is one place that I have yet to visit, looks like a good place to fossick and is on my list now.

Cheers mate, yea its a nice spot but its a bit like Louis creek as in the deeper you go the bigger the gold seems to get.
Biggest flake is .15g.
gavin  
Posted : Tuesday, 10 November 2015 2:16:13 PM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Good going mate - great to see some action shots and gold posted. Just what I need to re-stoke the motivation!

BTW: What do you think of the Bazooka, working well for you? Pros and cons?

Edited by user Tuesday, 10 November 2015 2:17:46 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Cleggie  
Posted : Tuesday, 10 November 2015 4:45:48 PM(UTC)
Cleggie

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Just a wee question Chrispy, what are the gravels like as in do the colors of the silt change much, are they layered, and is there a well defined bottom? I noticed some changes in the gravels at Louis Creek. The top layers are dark reddish brown and there is no gold, but as you get deeper the color of the silt changes to lighter coffee colors and this seems to be when I can see gold in the spotter mat. If the gravels are clean you are digging someone else's tailings... he, he...

Yeah, I to would like to know how you rate the Bazooka. Looks like a nice compact piece of kit to carry around, and catches gold...

Cheers Ken.
Chrispy  
Posted : Wednesday, 11 November 2015 1:22:17 PM(UTC)
Chrispy

New Zealand

Originally Posted by: gavin Go to Quoted Post
Good going mate - great to see some action shots and gold posted. Just what I need to re-stoke the motivation!

BTW: What do you think of the Bazooka, working well for you? Pros and cons?

Love the bazooka.
Pros- very portable, will run in fast and slow water, only clean out at end of day as gold is trapped in box and real easy to clean out. Takes less than a minute. In faster water u can shovel straight into it and it self classifies. In slower water I classify into a bucket then dump it straight into the bazooka.
Cons- it dosnt catch flour gold.
Chrispy  
Posted : Wednesday, 11 November 2015 1:29:27 PM(UTC)
Chrispy

New Zealand

Originally Posted by: Cleggie Go to Quoted Post
Just a wee question Chrispy, what are the gravels like as in do the colors of the silt change much, are they layered, and is there a well defined bottom? I noticed some changes in the gravels at Louis Creek. The top layers are dark reddish brown and there is no gold, but as you get deeper the color of the silt changes to lighter coffee colors and this seems to be when I can see gold in the spotter mat. If the gravels are clean you are digging someone else's tailings... he, he...

Yeah, I to would like to know how you rate the Bazooka. Looks like a nice compact piece of kit to carry around, and catches gold...

Cheers Ken.

At about 1-1.2 metres deep off top gravel I hit a layer of clay that had bits of wood and debris incl old bottle glass but once through that I hit the bigger gold. That hole I dug was waist deep at the water level with about 800-900 mm of gravel above that. Lots of little flood gold in top gravels though.
The Hatter  
Posted : Wednesday, 11 November 2015 2:04:33 PM(UTC)
The Hatter

New Zealand

Frig I need new glasses Chrispy, i thought you said 12 metres. When in fact it was 1.2 metres. I thought damm that man is epic. 12 metres without air lol

egoli  
Posted : Tuesday, 5 January 2016 3:06:34 PM(UTC)
egoli

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi Chrispy

I would like to know how you set up your bazooka, I have the mini and the prospector and have had serious difficulty setting them up the correct angle and waterflow, it seems like the bottom chamber pipes were not creating a fluid-bed, I love the idea but sadly have not had much luck setting them up correctly, I spend 7 hours at reefton yesterday and recovered nothing, I have better luck panning

Your help, guidance & advise would be greatly appreciated

Quentin
Chrispy  
Posted : Thursday, 4 February 2016 11:00:44 PM(UTC)
Chrispy

New Zealand

Originally Posted by: egoli Go to Quoted Post
Hi Chrispy

I would like to know how you set up your bazooka, I have the mini and the prospector and have had serious difficulty setting them up the correct angle and waterflow, it seems like the bottom chamber pipes were not creating a fluid-bed, I love the idea but sadly have not had much luck setting them up correctly, I spend 7 hours at reefton yesterday and recovered nothing, I have better luck panning

Your help, guidance & advise would be greatly appreciated

Quentin

Hey buddy I set up my bazooka pretty much the same as a standard sluice. You still need a reasonable flow. As you can see in the photos I always build a bit of a dam to increase flow. The biggest thing to remember is that you need the water to be flowing over and out of the fluid bed so you need to be set up with a bit of a drop off just like a normal sluice. With a slow river flow ill classify the gravels down to 10mm but will just slowly tip the bucket into the bazooka rather than just scooping it thus speeding up the process a little. In stronger flow I just shovel gravels straight onto the bazooka and it classifies itself. Good luck.