New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

gavin  
Posted : Saturday, 7 November 2015 10:55:06 AM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Ok, so picked up a pack rack to have as an option for carrying in my dredge motor. Seems to work pretty well, though I think slow and steady will be the keywords. Would hate to topple with that thing on!

I've attached a few images of how I've stropped it on. Figured the base and water pump would be safe spots to secure with.

Any recommendations to provide from experience? I'd hate to pack it in and then find I've buggered something up.

A few observations of mine:

1) I wonder if I need to try and pad the starter with something as it's pushed right up against the frame. Wondering if I risk denting it thus prevent easy starting. Marked in photo.

2) I'll try threading the strop through one of the holes in base to stop the possibility of it slipping off the edge of base. Also marked in photo.
gavin attached the following image(s):
DSC_0688.JPG
DSC_0689.JPG
DSC_0690.JPG
DSC_0691.JPG
DSC_0692.JPG
The Hatter  
Posted : Saturday, 7 November 2015 12:19:49 PM(UTC)
The Hatter

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Was thanked: 320 time(s) in 125 post(s)
Gavin

I would unbolt the starter assembly. Thats an easy task. And place it somewhere else. The way you have the complete unit set up at the moment, the point of balance is out a bit. If that motor was more snug against the pack frame, its gunna be a lot easier to lift onto your back. That is the hard bit, getting upright and getting down. I have lugged a 5hp Honda,P180 compressor and heat exchanger many miles on a similar frame.
Dont fall over, not recommended.

Cheers Trev aka " The Hatter"
Metal Kiwi  
Posted : Saturday, 7 November 2015 1:05:06 PM(UTC)
Metal Kiwi

Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 322 post(s)
Originally Posted by: The Hatter Go to Quoted Post
Gavin

I would unbolt the starter assembly. Thats an easy task. And place it somewhere else. The way you have the complete unit set up at the moment, the point of balance is out a bit. If that motor was more snug against the pack frame, its gunna be a lot easier to lift onto your back. That is the hard bit, getting upright and getting down. I have lugged a 5hp Honda,P180 compressor and heat exchanger many miles on a similar frame.

I think you just need a big assistant. :-)

MK

gavin  
Posted : Monday, 9 November 2015 10:19:13 AM(UTC)
gavin

Originally Posted by: The Hatter Go to Quoted Post
Gavin

Cheers for the tip - much appreciated. I'll have a play and see how easy it is to pop on and off. Sounds like good advice!

Originally Posted by: Metal Kiwi Go to Quoted Post

I think you just need a big assistant. :-)

MK

Is that an offer? :P
simon  
Posted : Monday, 9 November 2015 1:29:45 PM(UTC)
simon

Man

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 150 post(s)
Gavin, how far roughly do you have to haul that?
I don't know if you're among trees and rocky outcrops but maybe covering it all with sturdy canvas or something might limit snags whilst walking in.
Your back is going to love you after that. I have the same setup minus the compressor so know the weight involved. hope you drained every last drop of fuel.
gavin  
Posted : Monday, 9 November 2015 1:44:22 PM(UTC)
gavin

Originally Posted by: simon Go to Quoted Post
Gavin, how far roughly do you have to haul that?
I don't know if you're among trees and rocky outcrops but maybe covering it all with sturdy canvas or something might limit snags whilst walking in.
Your back is going to love you after that. I have the same setup minus the compressor so know the weight involved. hope you drained every last drop of fuel.

I reckon it'll be a slow steady 20 - 30 mins down into the gorge. Quite steep in places and a fair few snaggy plants to negotiate, so cheers for the idea. I'm more worried of falling backwards and taking out water pump plastic bit that protrudes as looks like it could be brittle to that sort of thing.

A few people have suggested setting up a zip line, so might play around with that idea too. And I will investigate heli options. More of a plan B if heli drop isn't available / too expensive.
Darren  
Posted : Monday, 9 November 2015 2:30:01 PM(UTC)
Darren

New Zealand

Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 19 post(s)
UserPostedImage

This is how my 4hp honda and proline hp200 is setup, on a engine frame which forms a backplate, the backplate is lined with foam, and the shoulder straps are made of dive belt and stainless dive belt clasps. Comfortable enough with the foam to carry for a couple of kilometers. It's a setup that hasn't been over-thought.

Edited; got the image hyperlink working

Edited by user Monday, 9 November 2015 8:14:16 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

gavin  
Posted : Tuesday, 10 November 2015 2:14:58 PM(UTC)
gavin

Originally Posted by: Darren Go to Quoted Post
This is how my 4hp honda and proline hp200 is setup, on a engine frame which forms a backplate, the backplate is lined with foam, and the shoulder straps are made of dive belt and stainless dive belt clasps. Comfortable enough with the foam to carry for a couple of kilometers. It's a setup that hasn't been over-thought.

Edited; got the image hyperlink working

Cheers for that - I like the way you just bolt it on the bottom so you don't need to worry about things pressing against the starter etc.