New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

cindy  
Posted : Monday, 30 November 2015 1:31:36 AM(UTC)
cindy

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Hello all. I'm looking for advice on an "entry level" detector for my curious adventurous son for Christmas. Ther eis a range on Trademe, but "buyer beware" - so I'm looking for advice on models, pricing and vendors.
Most likely will just be around local beaches and bush.
Thansk so much! I've had a look on the buy sell swap site here, but i think these are a bit too serious for what we are looking to invest at this point. Looking forward to your responses and ideas! Thanks so much - Cindy
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Monday, 30 November 2015 3:47:06 AM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

Groups: Registered, Moderators
New Zealand

Was thanked: 683 time(s) in 317 post(s)
Depends on your budget really.

For a curious 11 year old, I'd probably go for the new Go Find 40 ($335)
Click Here For Link
One of the guys on here is playing with one at the moment and it seems to punch above its weight...or pricetag, and encompasses a lot of new technology.

Unfortunately, unless you go second-hand (can be dodgy if you don't know what to look for) you probably won't find anything respectable under this.

There are cheaper machines around, down to around $80 RRP, but to be honest nothing is likely to discourage him faster than one of the cheap (as opposed to inexpensive) machines.

Bear in mind that summer is not the time to detect grass, however the dry sand strip can be very lucrative for "pocket money" and even the odd gold ring if he's lucky.

If you do decide to go ahead with this, drop a note on here once he's got it. I'm sure one of us nearby will be more than happy to share valuable experience and give him a jump start up the first steepest rungs of the learning curve.

Happy Hunting!
MW

Edited by user Monday, 30 November 2015 3:52:28 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Tidied up hyperlink

sycotoad  
Posted : Monday, 30 November 2015 11:26:39 AM(UTC)
sycotoad

New Zealand

Was thanked: 126 time(s) in 97 post(s)
I totally agree with MW - I am looking at getting one for my 8 year old girl

This seller is reputable and has been selling Minelab products for years - Top bloke

Here is one of his listings regarding GoFind40
http://www.trademe.co.nz...er/auction-987616760.htm

I hope this helps ;)
Makro - Nokta - deteknix - GoldFinder
The Hatter  
Posted : Monday, 30 November 2015 12:02:29 PM(UTC)
The Hatter

New Zealand

Was thanked: 320 time(s) in 125 post(s)
Hi Cindy

If it is in your budget go for a Gofind40 or a 60. They have more features than the 20. The 20 does not have a pinpoint feature or a back light for night hunting. Nor does it have the bluetooth app to link to a Smartphone. Which gives you GPS and other stuff. Using the app you can listen to music whilst detecting. Chris at DetectNZ has a nice Xmas giveaway going on the Gofind Range at the moment. A carry bag for the Detector, and its very well made. Plus a carry bag with belt to store your finds, and a set of batterys. But he does say while stocks last so not sure how is stocks are lasting. The gofind 60 is the top version of the range, but the 40 is not to far behind it.

I gifted my Gofind40 to a 12 year old kid that works at his mothers corner shop, dairy. He was intrigued one night when I went into the shop with my Minelab CTX3030, I sent him across the road with it to the hospital grounds for a play. He was hooked. So now he has a Gofind40.

And of course, as I just love the Gofind, well I had to get me another. So I now have a Gofind60. I might add Chris at Detectnz is somewhat cheaper in price than the Chch Dealer. Detectnz is Auckland based.

Cheers Trev aka " The Hatter"

Edited by user Monday, 30 November 2015 12:08:59 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

The Hatter  
Posted : Monday, 30 November 2015 12:20:26 PM(UTC)
The Hatter

New Zealand

Was thanked: 320 time(s) in 125 post(s)
Hi Again Cindy.

Here are a few utube Video links to assist you.

https://www.youtube.com/...ON4&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55PGL6-JZno

It has a limited warrenty. Go online to Minelabs Warrenty page and register there.

Cheers Trev aka " The Hatter"
LittleKiwiDetecting  
Posted : Monday, 30 November 2015 2:33:34 PM(UTC)
LittleKiwiDetecting

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 44 post(s)
I'd say the fisher F2. Similar price to the go find 40 (350) and it is perfect for any begginer. If not, then the go find 40 would be perfect. You can purchase a fisher F2 at www.puiakisupply.com
Fisher F22
Pre-decimals: 10
Best Finds: German Pistol, Horse bit, Lead Belt Buckle