New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

ElCrazy  
Posted : Monday, 30 November 2015 10:34:11 PM(UTC)
ElCrazy

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 9 post(s)
So I decided to head to a new place for a change and thought I write up a yarn on it, maybe entertain someone? someone might get a laugh.

Did some research and knew roughly where I wanted to go, no claim on the map that I could see in the exact area I was keen to check out and saw there was a 4WD track that goes pretty close to the river so seemed pretty straight forward.

However when I started up the track I pretty soon found a rise that looked like a proper 4WD challenge and didn’t know what the softroader I had would do, I decided discretion was needed so to park and walk in.

It looked like only about 2 k’s on the map, but it felt like 5 or 6 walking it – all uphill. Took over an hour but rewarded with amazing views down to the river. Managed to find the track down to the river which soon became pretty overgrown. I thought it would only be 20 mins downhill but it actually took closer to an hour. Were a few places where trees and slips were over the track so it was a bit hard to follow but got there in the end.

Pretty close to 2 hours to get from car park to river. Started up the river towards the “canyon” bit I wanted to check out, detecting as I went, found a couple of old axe heads but no gold. Beaut country though! Got to the sharp corner of the river which looked like the only way to the area I was keen to see and found a slightly sketchy rock shelf about 2 meters off the river which had some old metal cables someone had kindly put in. The other side of the river didn’t look accessible or any easier, so without thinking scrambled around the corner with one hand holding my detector the other the cable.

Only half way along I realised it wasn’t so smart as I was wearing waders and if I fell in, I wouldn’t have hurt myself hitting the water, but probably would drown as waders not so good in deeper water! And I didn’t know if the cables were safe. Should have thought of that before I started around the corner!

Anyway obviously made it round despite it being a bit sketchy one handed and after a look was pretty sure I was on the wrong side of the river as the other side had lovely gravel banks my side had areas of bedrock but looked pretty clean - outside. I waved my detector over it, didn’t take long and I got a great signal – in 80s on the AT Gold, so pretty sure it was the good stuff in a decent crack in the bedrock. Cleaned it out as best I could and could see under the water something dull yellow about an inch long, but it was wedged proper good and no matter what I did I couldn’t get it out with what I had at hand!!

So a bit frustrated I determined to cross the river to the gravel banks. It was just too swift and deep to safely cross in the waders so I decided to swim it. Found a decent spot stripped to my boxers, grabbed my pan and swum across. Made it ok although the current was a lot stronger than I thought and was probably a bit sketchy swimming without any idea of the river.

So there I was in my boxers in the middle of nowhere with just a gold pan. I kinda wondered if a bunch of Japanese tourist anglers would suddenly appear and I’d be in facebook in the worst way! Then I realised I hadn’t got my sniffer bottle, any way to dig and no way to get any gold back to the other side of the river anyway doh!

Anyway I spent about 20 minutes panning anyway before I got cold enough to swim back. Really needed longer to go further upstream, regret now going so far and not heading upstream more!

When I swam back but I somehow cut my foot on rock so had to pull the pin on the day. I managed to get back OK but it took a bit longer than the way in with the sore foot. At the end of the day had nothing really to show but this long tale. One day I’ll head back with some decent tools to find out what that #@! signal was.

Would be interested to know if anyone knows the area I am talking (off the Aorere) about can clue me in why I didn’t find any colour in my panning, first time I’ve struck out in a gold producing area! Normally I’ll see some colour even if not much. Any ideas?
GoldPandemic  
Posted : Monday, 30 November 2015 11:39:03 PM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 102 post(s)
Thats great.
You do have something to go back for, and it seems as if it won't be going anywhere soon - get yourself a mattock.
Treasure/coins: $1
Other artifacts: 1888 button
Lead: 914g
Copper: 46
creamer  
Posted : Tuesday, 1 December 2015 8:13:04 AM(UTC)
creamer

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 525 time(s) in 391 post(s)
Nice one ElCrazy. Maybe a small pinch bar or something next time.

HGH

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
kiwikeith  
Posted : Tuesday, 1 December 2015 2:14:42 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Helped organise get together for Paydirt members and volunteered gold claim for the event (Oct 2013)

Was thanked: 230 time(s) in 154 post(s)
been to the same spot if its in the slate
hand over hand round the wire cable, the pool is deep with some big trout when I was there I saw an eel in the pool so I picked up a large rock and throw it at it. it didn't move so turning round I bent down to pick another. we here it was a small nugget sitting right under where I pick the last rock from. to hell with the eel it was wash the sand off the bed rock and ended up with quite a collection of little bits of gold
no saying where im thinking you were but one day I will go back, did you see all the wild goats?
I found an old rock chisel on a ledge at the down stream end of the wire tope
LBD  
Posted : Tuesday, 1 December 2015 7:01:19 PM(UTC)
LBD

Man
Laos

Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Originally Posted by: kiwikeith Go to Quoted Post
when I was there I saw an eel in the pool so I picked up a large rock and throw it at it. it didn't move so turning round I bent down to pick another.

So what is with all this eel harassment then?... is a case of Anguillophobia or ichthyophobia?

If you need help to over come this irrational fear, come join me for a day dredging in a tributary of the Buller... I got some big beggar's in my creek.

Funniest encounter was going back to a spot along side a pile of good size rocks I had created.. I started dredging and a huge F/O grey black head slowly eased out of a hole about 18 inches from my head... I did not see it at first but when I did I nearly swallowed my reg.

After about 10 minutes or so he got fed up with me throwing rocks to plug up his holes, that swam off in water so clear I could see him for maybe 15 m
kiwikeith  
Posted : Tuesday, 1 December 2015 7:20:07 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Helped organise get together for Paydirt members and volunteered gold claim for the event (Oct 2013)

Was thanked: 230 time(s) in 154 post(s)
sorry I just hate eels
one was caught up by your place in the buller , it dropped the river level by 2m once it was dragged out with a d10 bully
LBD  
Posted : Tuesday, 1 December 2015 8:31:27 PM(UTC)
LBD

Man
Laos

Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Originally Posted by: kiwikeith Go to Quoted Post
sorry I just hate eels
one was caught up by your place in the buller , it dropped the river level by 2m once it was dragged out with a d10 bully

Should have left it in the river to grow and mature to adulthood....