New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

gavin  
Posted : Thursday, 3 December 2015 10:21:37 AM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Went out last Sat to explore a new area kiwikeith's very familiar with. Last minute email to kiwikeith and he was up for joining me. Bonus, he decided to take me his favourite spot in the area - good on ya mate :)

Took the Minelab SDC2300 out for a play first and Keith had his Fisher Goldbug Pro. I got a bit frustrated digging up trash so swapped over to my own Goldbug Pro and found the first smaller nugget. Wasn't finding any junk anymore so decided to switch back to the SDC2300 and found the larger nugget.

Would be really good to have a combined PI / VLF detector with a simple switch to swap between the 2 modes. Detect in PI mode first of all to cut through all the mineralisation noise, then when got a solid signal swap into VLF mode with discrimination numbers to see if it's worth digging. I'd buy that! Or maybe I need to start carrying both detectors around? Painful!

Keith had swapped his Goldbug for a pan and seemed to be doing a lot better finding fine gold in bedrock nooks and crannies. Quite an impressive collection of fines by the end.

Edited by user Thursday, 3 December 2015 10:22:34 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

gavin attached the following image(s):
DSC_0750.JPG
jimmy bedrock  
Posted : Thursday, 3 December 2015 11:19:08 AM(UTC)
jimmy bedrock

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Was thanked: 179 time(s) in 104 post(s)
Good stuff Gavin. I had the same problem with PI trash so I made a fisher gold bug low :)
We must catch up for some more missions sometime..
jimmy bedrock attached the following image(s):
SAM_1468 (640x480).jpg
SAM_1469 (640x480).jpg
gavin  
Posted : Thursday, 3 December 2015 1:51:28 PM(UTC)
gavin

Originally Posted by: jimmy bedrock Go to Quoted Post
Good stuff Gavin. I had the same problem with PI trash so I made a fisher gold bug low :)
We must catch up for some more missions sometime..

That is bloody awesome mate! I was thinking along the same lines, but your execution is flawless. I'm going to find a piece of PVC / plastic pipe and copy you now ;)

Would love to catch up again. Flick me an email next time you're down and if the starts align we'll make it happen.
GoldPandemic  
Posted : Saturday, 5 December 2015 5:46:42 PM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 102 post(s)
You need a PI buddy to spot for you & mark locations.
I'm down south soon.
Happy to team up, but before I reach you I'll probably end up finding a vein & digging my own secret mine!! :D

Edited by user Saturday, 5 December 2015 5:50:42 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Treasure/coins: $1
Other artifacts: 1888 button
Lead: 914g
Copper: 46
gavin  
Posted : Sunday, 6 December 2015 9:13:46 AM(UTC)
gavin

Originally Posted by: GoldPandemic Go to Quoted Post
You need a PI buddy to spot for you & mark locations.
I'm down south soon.
Happy to team up, but before I reach you I'll probably end up finding a vein & digging my own secret mine!! :D

Lol - you're more than welcome to catch up if I'm checking out some new spots. Give me a shout when you're down here and if the timing's right we'll go for a detect. Always a bit more fun with company.