New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

kiwisouth  
Posted : Saturday, 22 May 2010 8:23:55 AM(UTC)
kiwisouth

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Hi folks
Been a while since I have added anything on here. I have been reading the posts when I can and I am very happy that the membership is growing. I had a look at the poop tube contraption, reminds me of a similar device I saw on a site once. A corrugated tube, split and laid flat, nailed to a length of ply. Cleaned up the black sand supposedly. You would use it at home I think.

My wife is making noises about picking her mum up from Murchison at Queens Birthday weekend. So..... this would mean that at some stage soon, I will take her back and get another couple of hours down the river before I head home, and there should be more flood gold about too.

Funny that everytime I go to the Big Boys shop (Mitre 10) I'm always casting my eyes over things I can use down the river. Looked at rubber mats, pipes of different sizes, a poker that I could bend and make a nice crevicing tool out of to save my knuckles. Buckets ar 99 cents each so a bucket concentrator could be on the cards, be easier than the little sive I got from the 2nd hand shop. My kids just want to play in the kids area, wife wants to look at plants and I look down EVERY aisle. Poor buggggars.

Enough prattling

Happy hunting folks, stay warm, stay safe.
Nulli Illigitimi Carborundum
gavin  
Posted : Saturday, 22 May 2010 2:35:39 PM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
I'd beware of drilling holes in to those 99 cents buckets - always end up cracking for me. Think the plastic is too brittle. I went through a few trying to make a classifier before getting wise :P
criticol  
Posted : Saturday, 22 May 2010 5:36:42 PM(UTC)
criticol

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 48 post(s)
Hi all,
In reply to Gavins post re drilling holes in plastic buckets and breaking them:

Dont drill your holes using a drill.

Just heat up a rod to red heat, ( copper or steel pipe is best,( But you can even use a drill bit if you like) of the appropriate diameter, and use it to melt the holes through the Plastic. This quicker method also seals the edges of the plastic nicely making it much stronger and wear resistant.

Cheers---Colin.
kiwisouth  
Posted : Sunday, 23 May 2010 4:18:40 AM(UTC)
kiwisouth

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
New Zealand

Thanks guy. The other option is the big paint containers. There are quite a few at my in-law's place. My late father in law painted much of Murchison and there are still quite a few of these in his shed. He didn't throw much away. Experimentation I think.
gavin  
Posted : Sunday, 23 May 2010 5:03:11 PM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Awesome tip Colin - much appreciated. Such a simple idea, but hadn't occurred to me! I'd been getting some of my labourer mates to grab the stronger paint containers for me, but I'll remember this tip for next time :)
criticol  
Posted : Monday, 24 May 2010 1:52:13 PM(UTC)
criticol

gavin wrote:
Awesome tip Colin - much appreciated. Such a simple idea, but hadn't occurred to me! I'd been getting some of my labourer mates to grab the stronger paint containers for me, but I'll remember this tip for next time :)

Thats o.k. Gavin, but the hot iron trick works for all plastic containers, and its so much easier than drilling the holes.

Cheers---Colin.
kiwisouth  
Posted : Monday, 24 May 2010 3:19:51 PM(UTC)
kiwisouth

Man
New Zealand

Begorrah! Poke holes in bucket with something hot......... ound my soldering iron, which just happens to come with different sized tips. Splendid idea, why didn't you think of that before David? Cos I'm a numpty. Necessity is the mother of invention. I remember one of my teachers saying that to us at Primary School all those years ago. He was a canny gentleman. Just have to get my respirator on I think. Not sure about all those fumes.

What an awesome bunch of people we are here. Thanks guys
criticol  
Posted : Monday, 24 May 2010 3:38:23 PM(UTC)
criticol

kiwisouth wrote:
Begorrah! Poke holes in bucket with something hot......... ound my soldering iron, which just happens to come with different sized tips. Splendid idea, why didn't you think of that before David? Cos I'm a numpty. Necessity is the mother of invention. I remember one of my teachers saying that to us at Primary School all those years ago. He was a canny gentleman. Just have to get my respirator on I think. Not sure about all those fumes.

What an awesome bunch of people we are here. Thanks guys

Hi Kiwisouth,

Yeah, a soldering iron works well too, but you can glue it up, making it hard to change tips. At least it stays hot all the time your using it.You can also replace the tip with a temporary bit of steel rod/pipe to aleviate this problem.

Kind regards---Colin.