New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

NJC62-DN  
Posted : Thursday, 10 December 2015 5:28:19 PM(UTC)
NJC62-DN

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Gidday...was wondering if anyone (singular or plural) in Otago or?, would be keen on a look see in and around the Maniatoto.
There must be some gold missed by the old time miners, given their recovery methods were pretty crude by all accounts.
Holiday season is approaching, bit of camping could be involved for a few nights here and there. Possibly shared fuel expenses?
Anyone?
NJC62-DN  
Posted : Thursday, 17 December 2015 8:06:57 PM(UTC)
NJC62-DN

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

New Zealand

No one...damn. I'll just have to git all that leftover gold my own self.
NJC62-DN  
Posted : Thursday, 17 December 2015 8:13:07 PM(UTC)
NJC62-DN

New Zealand

The Otago Goldfields trail started at Palmerston, Otago, The old time miners missed what I found.
I anticipate my Gold bug and I will find even better gold...shame no one is keen to accompany me.
GoldPandemic  
Posted : Thursday, 17 December 2015 9:14:19 PM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 102 post(s)
Yes. I detect & free dive detect.
It'll take a few months for me to get down there. Currently working my way along the west coast from Nelson.
But if I do, I'd be happy to hang out.

Edited by user Thursday, 17 December 2015 9:15:46 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Treasure/coins: $1
Other artifacts: 1888 button
Lead: 914g
Copper: 46
Connor  
Posted : Monday, 21 December 2015 5:51:36 PM(UTC)
Connor

New Zealand

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I'm still keen, time off work is the main problem for me. End of January I should be free.
Connor
NJC62-DN  
Posted : Monday, 21 December 2015 9:12:09 PM(UTC)
NJC62-DN

New Zealand

That is fine. S
NJC62-DN  
Posted : Wednesday, 6 January 2016 7:42:01 PM(UTC)
NJC62-DN

New Zealand

Originally Posted by: Connor Go to Quoted Post
I'm still keen, time off work is the main problem for me. End of January I should be free.
Connor

Hello again Connor,
I have in the last week or two visited the Maniototo twice...two times to Hamiltons Diggings and once to German Creek (Man. end of Danseys Pass.) The second time was today, with another member who was equipped with a Garret AT, me with my Goldbug. In both places, I, we found only .22 brass shells and bullets, bits of old steel/iron, the best, an old blacksmith riveted shovel 'head/blade. His find.
We finished German Creek by detecting down the full length of the bedrock gorge, to the Danseys Pass road, finding only a little iron rubbish,
no lead bullets or even shot. This area I am sure, received much attention from the early miners, and more recently by suction dredges.
If gold is still there (and it is because I panned flakes during an earlier decade.) I am reasonably sure, that even reasonably good VLF machines like ours are incapable of finding it, it being (the gold) is to small to register. Better gold, ie nuggets are still to be found closer to home, so for now future trips to the Maniototo area may be curtailed. Keep in touch if you'd like to try these closer to home area's.
Cheers,
Neil
GoldPandemic  
Posted : Wednesday, 6 January 2016 8:05:06 PM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Man
New Zealand

Pulse Induction detector might turn up something.
What size were the coils you had?
NJC62-DN  
Posted : Thursday, 7 January 2016 12:36:22 AM(UTC)
NJC62-DN

New Zealand

Standard 5 inch for my GB, and I think the standard eliptical DD for the AT, if I have the latter correct.
GoldPandemic  
Posted : Thursday, 7 January 2016 10:06:36 AM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Man
New Zealand

The AT is 11" coil, that's alright. Is it AT Gold or Pro?
VLF should be good for larger nuggets. But it'll be missing the smaller bits, I wonder if you go over same area with the GB?
And if you find lead bullets then scan that area heavily, as they sink to a similar depth to the gold.
NJC62-DN  
Posted : Wednesday, 13 January 2016 9:59:55 PM(UTC)
NJC62-DN

New Zealand

The 'modern' 19 khtz Gold bug, ie not the '87 original version, is a vlf, machine designed to find very small gold. (ie sub grain)
The Goldbug SE, DP and Pro followed the theme with software updates, and other coils. This range is an entirely different beast to the 71khtz Goldbug 2. which is great at finding gold, but has its own issues apparently. I'm not quite sure why you would suggest vlf would only find larger gold? Also the AT Gold runs at 18 odd khtz, which should place it close enough to the Goldbug series, so as to be near enough as equally good to find tiny nuggets...Unless all my research is wrong?
GoldPandemic  
Posted : Thursday, 14 January 2016 1:04:35 PM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Man
New Zealand

Not saying GB would be bad, just that VLF with larger (assuming he had the larger coil) would be better at finding bigger nuggets.
Sounds as if your GB is running at a fairly low frequency anyway.
NJC62-DN  
Posted : Thursday, 14 January 2016 8:55:07 PM(UTC)
NJC62-DN

New Zealand

We were not expecting to find large nuggets. The 71khtz GB2 (had we one) might have found the small flakes our detectors could not locate, but we were hoping to find the tiny nuggets the old time 'miners' might have missed. Cheers.
Young Keane  
Posted : Wednesday, 20 January 2016 10:00:12 PM(UTC)
Young Keane

Yea I'm keen on the river up there wea u based mate
Lulu333  
Posted : Thursday, 9 June 2016 4:05:14 PM(UTC)
Lulu333

hay dude I could be keen I have a mean metal detector which has found some we nuggets in oz haven't had a chance to go out anywhere in nz be keen to hook up ! that's relics,gold what ever giz a holla tonz 0273500012 chur !