New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

4 Pages<1234>
Iggyrulz  
Posted : Saturday, 2 April 2016 7:19:20 PM(UTC)
Iggyrulz

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Was thanked: 327 time(s) in 196 post(s)
Nice one, that would have to be a record for GG badges I'd say.....cool.

Iggy
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Friday, 8 April 2016 8:30:11 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

Groups: Registered, Moderators
New Zealand

Was thanked: 683 time(s) in 317 post(s)
Hunt 2016.14
Gold #2 for the year.

Big tides, so was sniffing along the extra 2m of beach exposed. Very quiet, 3 pre-decs (no silvers though), a few sinkers, pair of broken prescription glasses, $3 in goldies and a monster coin spill - heaps of coins and a key. Fact they were all in the same hole and deep makes me wonder if it was a purse or wallet, they must've been buried in sand before whatever it was disintegrated otherwise they would have scattered. That was about it.
A lot of silence afterwards until I was almost back at the car. Working along the edge of the sand gave a deep grunt, and out came a ring :) Very dark in colour, thought it was silver at first until I got the loupe on the mark and it became a cool 9ct signet ring.

UserPostedImage
GoldPandemic  
Posted : Friday, 8 April 2016 10:47:47 PM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 102 post(s)
Nice signet there. What is the weight? 18 carat?
For a second there I thought you had a very special Euro style predecimal coin - with the way you stacked them :)
Treasure/coins: $1
Other artifacts: 1888 button
Lead: 914g
Copper: 46
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Saturday, 9 April 2016 8:36:27 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

New Zealand

Originally Posted by: GoldPandemic Go to Quoted Post
Nice signet there. What is the weight? 18 carat?
For a second there I thought you had a very special Euro style predecimal coin - with the way you stacked them :)

It's a 9 carat, and came in at 1.9g - Nothing too flash.

Hunt 2016.15
Almost zeroed, but saved by a tap!
Another mega low tide hunt this arvo. Lots of weed which didn't bode well, but located a pocket where the waves had been swirling around the rocks and cut some sand out.
720g of lead, tatty Liz II penny and assorted fishing lures. Had high hopes as the soft mudstone was only a few inches down but no rings or silvers today.

Tried further down the beach, but the sand was real deep and soft. Nothing but Ali trash.

Was checking the crooks and nannies in the rocks on the way back, just to add to the lead bucket (although this was how I snagged my Sov a while back) and got a solid whack in the phones. Quickly decided it was too deep and solid to be a can and after a couple of minutes this nice relic came up.

Brass Barrel Spigot - Age uncertain, but it would have been a while since they hammered these into wooden barrels.
Possibly came ashore with barrel attached which then broke up on the rocks - Only scenario I can think of which would get it on the rocks in the middle of nowhere. There were a lot of deep, deep irons in the area in hindsight. Will revisit some day and chase the ferrous.

UserPostedImage

Back at the carpark, had a neat conversation with a lady who was part of a group chasing the wrecks that appear and disappear on the West Coast. Lots of discussion re: littoral drift, wave velocity, transport capacities and general coastal hydrodynamics. Both brains were picked and both gained some extra knowledge :)

Iggyrulz  
Posted : Saturday, 9 April 2016 9:25:39 PM(UTC)
Iggyrulz

New Zealand

Nice tap MW, she looks old. I found a decades younger version a week back which I must clean up.
The beauty you're rescued dosnt seem like it's got a thingy bit to turn the flow on/off (valve)?
One for display that's for sure.
Iggy

Edited by user Saturday, 9 April 2016 9:29:05 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Typo

Mudwiggle  
Posted : Saturday, 9 April 2016 9:37:34 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

New Zealand

Yeah, the thingy was missing. Might (should) still be in the area.
Be interested to see the tap you dug.
GoldPandemic  
Posted : Saturday, 9 April 2016 9:40:57 PM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Man
New Zealand

I got out today aswell, not for long enough though.

You sure got a nice haul of lead!
I only found an ~100g net sinker today.
What is the largest piece of lead you've rescued?
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Saturday, 9 April 2016 9:59:02 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

New Zealand

What is the largest piece of lead you've rescued?
Aside from diving weights, the 'Big Three' are:
UserPostedImage

Will be smelting the whole lot down into manageable 5kg ingots this week.

Edited by user Saturday, 9 April 2016 10:00:13 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

roy1954  
Posted : Saturday, 9 April 2016 11:55:55 PM(UTC)
roy1954

Was thanked: 372 time(s) in 242 post(s)
cool stuff all the years ive been doing this hobby i cant remember finding a barrel tap
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Sunday, 10 April 2016 8:31:06 AM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

New Zealand

Hunt 2016.16
Back into the mud for the 3am tide.
Had the entire bay to myself, although passed a few nightcrawlers on the way in so radar was on alert. Sunday mornings are usually quiet though as people sleep off Saturday Night.
Made up for yesterdays lack of juice with a couple of rings.
A silver and onyx, very oxidised and too fragile to clean and polish properly, and another 9ct with three small stones, probably ice given the teeny-tiny size.
Only other of note was my first 'gun' - Wish I had done a before and after. Started off as a gun-shaped lump of black cack, but when giving it a scrub a glint of plating shone through. Gave it a tap with the back of a spoon and the cack started peeling off revealing the mostly intact 1940-60's toy Derringer underneath. 15minutes of gentle tapping and picking resulted in a tiny cap gun in surprisingly good nick

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Edited by user Sunday, 10 April 2016 10:25:49 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Added second pic

Iggyrulz  
Posted : Monday, 11 April 2016 12:10:07 AM(UTC)
Iggyrulz

New Zealand

Nice rewards for an early start to the day. Its quite surprising what emerges from those junk looking encrusted blobs at times. Definately worth taking home for a closer inspection before dumping that's for sure.
Iggy
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Thursday, 9 June 2016 11:01:40 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

New Zealand

Hunt 2016.17
Out of town
Was down country for work, so spent some time wand waving with JeffB. Not a lot of action as the area had obviously been really worked.
Lifted a nice 1947 sixpence, my first of this design. Rest was a few leads and couple of old decimals.
UserPostedImage

Hunt 2016.18
Storm session
Been off the coils for too long, so made the effort. Left at 4am to check some beaches but found the first few fully sanded in, water too gruesome to consider wading. Half-hearted attack on a tot lot just gave an old 50c. Drove further afield to try and find some on a good alignment to the swell, but same story. Ended up firkling around in rain runoff washouts which netted a cheap watch, $12 in goldies and a 925 ring. Total distance travelled: 212km. Quite envious of Aucklanders with their wide range of choice in sand at the moment.

Hunt 2016.19
Storm Session #2
Repeated the previous run with much the same in terms of sand buildup. First site at 4am low was full of sand, but there had been some cutting at the top of the beach, lifted a couple of pennies and sixpences, not much else other than a few old decimals and another WW2 vintage 303 casing which are common here. Hme for breakfast and a kip, then out again to Spot 2 for the afternoon low.
Similar situation, with a quick scoping run along the coast providing only a couple of possible cuts. One had extensive topshore erosion which gave dozens of old decimals and a few others. Only 1 silver (6d).
Nothing remarkable, but a ridiculous number of targets kept the enthusiasm up.
Massive day in terms of general bag fillers.
UserPostedImage

Edited by user Thursday, 9 June 2016 11:07:12 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Iggyrulz  
Posted : Thursday, 9 June 2016 11:59:47 PM(UTC)
Iggyrulz

New Zealand

Hunt #19 produced lots of targets for sure, a bit unlucky that there wasn't at least one extra good or unusual find with all that digging though. I have tried some of those rain washouts myself at times with no luck at all.
HH Iggy
GoldPandemic  
Posted : Friday, 10 June 2016 11:15:27 PM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Man
New Zealand

Nice haul.
roy1954  
Posted : Saturday, 11 June 2016 7:30:59 PM(UTC)
roy1954

Was thanked: 372 time(s) in 242 post(s)
big haul of coins nice work
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Saturday, 25 June 2016 11:48:32 AM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

New Zealand

Update for last week...

Hunt 2016.20
Spotted a beach that had suffered during the storms last week and while the cut was very tired by now, there was still a distinct change in contour.
Stopped off at 3am on the way to work to have a go, but wasn't hopeful. There were some big sweeping surges coming up the beach as the sand 'rebalanced' itself and formed a large shallow flat at the breakers, not worth getting the wettie on so focussed on a few pebble lines. Lifted some sinkers including a 10oz lump from a good 30cm down. The rest was fishing lures, older decimals, a few goldies and copper trash. No Ali which was nice. Hopes were lifted with a nice silver ring in the moonlight, but when I got it out to clean, found out it was the chrome guide from a fishing rod. Bugger.
Tried another nearby beach and netted a few more goldies and a Cupro sixpence. No precious metals this time round, but $11 in goldies.

Hunt 2016.21
Delivering JeffB's detecting upgrade, and we headed to a nearby beach for some lessons.
Generally very quiet in terms of trinkets (for me anyway, Jeff had a very different story, pulled a '33 Shilling so was happy with some silver in the pocket. Second beach was a bit more lively - not least due to the number of copper shipwrights nails. The black ooze under the surface gave me a 1934 sixpence and a very worn, wafer thin 1908 3d. Nice to see my mate Eddie on a coin again - It's been a while.
Always nice to detect somewhere new too

GoldPandemic  
Posted : Saturday, 25 June 2016 1:26:53 PM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Man
New Zealand

When you become as jaded as I, you begin to pray for alumium.

Apart from sinkers, copper relics, $1 & $2 - can you tell me, is it worth it to go down deep into the water?
Is everything down there corroded by salt/mud/sand?
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Saturday, 25 June 2016 3:18:06 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

New Zealand

When you become as jaded as I, you begin to pray for alumium.
Apart from sinkers, copper relics, $1 & $2 - can you tell me, is it worth it to go down deep into the water?
Is everything down there corroded by salt/mud/sand?

90%+ of people at the beach stay at neck or shallower and that's pretty much as far as you need to go to get gold - Past that, you only have swimmers and the occasional moored boat.
The only times I've used SCUBA (apart from dedicated salvage searches) have been swimming holes.

As far as corrosion, mud is the great preserver and the Great Yellow Metal doesn't mind the salt anyway.

With your relic hunting, try and find some books on human behavioural profiling - or just go to a park/beach/town and watch. We as a species are very predictable in how we react to travel lines etc - This has not changed for thousands of years.
Learn where people go (or don't), and why, and your finds will improve.

Edited by user Saturday, 25 June 2016 3:19:40 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Mudwiggle  
Posted : Friday, 1 July 2016 10:02:46 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

New Zealand

Bucket List Tick :)

Hunt 2016.22
On a mission with Creamer
Two minds with the same independent thoughts had us both intending to head to the same bay, which was good - no arguments about where to go :) Conditions were perfect, very pleasant morning wandering aimlessly around, digging thousands of flecks of copper - 19th century equivalent of pull-tabs! Life was cruisey digging crap.

Creamer got the first find, didn't make out the final detail on it until later, but it was a good sign of things to come and set the bar nicely for the day.
Shortly afterwards, I got a whack in the phones, and looked down to see a dark silver sunbathing - 1868 Young Vicky shilling (Nice). Not too far away, up came a green and crusty something, too mucky to ID, so bagged it and carried on. We walked up, down and round and round for another hour or so with not much more to show, before moving further up the coast.

There was evidence of big swells having moved rocks around here, and rummaging around the newly exposed rocks brought up a large calibre chunk of lead (1.32oz) - Possibly a Minie Ball bullet?
Then a nice sweet steady sound in the phones, and under only a couple of inches of sand, sitting on the greywacke was my first 58th Reg button - Stoked.
30 seconds back into the hunt, #2 came up maybe only 6 feet away - Mission accomplished in style!

We started to head back and checked out a couple of other possibles en-route, but the phones were silent, too much sand. Picked up what I thought was a lighter, but now not so sure - seems to have multiple iron eyed things inside, fish-hooks? but too elaborate with a gold-plating and Scottish clan crest (unidentifiable).

Final stop before home at 'The Bank' hoping to withdraw some elusive gold, but again pickings were few and mostly unexciting for me, although ringy goodness was lifted by Creamer :)
UserPostedImage
Now THAT's a cut!

Cleaned up the mystery coin enough to spot a distinctive hair-do and ID it as a George IV halfpenny (minted 1825-1827)- My second oldest coin. Shame it's really well gone - Novelty value only, but worthy of a place in the cabinet until I find a better one :)
Great day. Thanks for the motivation and company Creamer.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Goldflinger  
Posted : Saturday, 2 July 2016 9:00:27 AM(UTC)
Goldflinger

New Zealand

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Massive cut!
Wouldn't want to walk over that edge in the dark!

Well done on ticking one off your bucket list too. If you want something bad enough, it'll find you I reckon.

HH
GF
Pilot of a Mighty AT Pro - "Gold Flinger"
4 Pages<1234>