New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

4 Pages«<234
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Sunday, 24 July 2016 1:04:54 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

Groups: Registered, Moderators
New Zealand

Was thanked: 683 time(s) in 317 post(s)
Originally Posted by: LittleKiwiDetecting Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Mudwiggle Go to Quoted Post
Hunt 2016.25

Haven't cleaned it other than a jet of water and currently residing in a capsule - Potential value of around $100 :)

wow! Very neat! Are we able to get a picture of the 'purse' you found the coins in?

Not anything special. Looks like a reused plastic slip you might have got a new ruler in. I'd say wee Jimmy had put his lunch money in it for safe keeping, although three pence would have been a lot of lunch in those days.

LittleKiwiDetecting  
Posted : Monday, 25 July 2016 8:52:32 AM(UTC)
LittleKiwiDetecting

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 44 post(s)
Originally Posted by: LittleKiwiDetecting Go to Quoted Post
Hunt 2016.25

Haven't cleaned it other than a jet of water and currently residing in a capsule - Potential value of around $100 :)

wow! Very neat! Are we able to get a picture of the 'purse' you found the coins in?

Not anything special. Looks like a reused plastic slip you might have got a new ruler in. I'd say wee Jimmy had put his lunch money in it for safe keeping, although three pence would have been a lot of lunch in those days.

Funny when you find these sort of things and think back as to why they are where you found them.
Fisher F22
Pre-decimals: 10
Best Finds: German Pistol, Horse bit, Lead Belt Buckle

Mudwiggle  
Posted : Tuesday, 26 July 2016 6:08:13 AM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

New Zealand

Hunt 2016.26
Two hours before work
Reminds me why I like doing the beaches, you stay so much cleaner!
Just back from a quick early morning foray to the grassy area adjacent to the muddy beach where I got the 925 the other day. Discovered that my waterproofs aren't, wet topsoil gets everywhere, and nothing scares the bejeezus out of you like a Kiwi letting rip about 5m away! Still was cool to see only my third wild one...after the heart had started again.
Lots of pull tabs and shredded foil initially (drinky spot), until I gave up on chasing gold and went for coin of the realm and another possible 925.
Ended up $5 in goldies, what remains of a Fun-Ho wheel(?) and a Space Shuttle - Along with the usual bycatch.
UserPostedImage
roy1954  
Posted : Tuesday, 26 July 2016 11:19:01 AM(UTC)
roy1954

Was thanked: 372 time(s) in 242 post(s)
nice sixpence looks au neat find
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Saturday, 30 July 2016 6:08:46 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

New Zealand

Hunt 2016.27
Random beach after the blow
Tried a new spot, arrived at the beach and got all excited at the sight of various bits of bedrock sticking through. Kitted up and headed down...only to find the 'rocks' were just piles of vegetation washed up after the storm. A few patches of pebbles on the sand only gave a manky 5c piece, so to bemused dog walkers, I squatted down and peered up and down the beach looking for a subtle change in profile. Spotting one a few hundred metres up the beach I started off into the 30knot headwind.
I always run the coil at my side when moving from spot to spot - never know if it'll pick up something on the way and in this case it did. A nice silver tone blipped through the phones. Took me a few seconds to find it again and once pinpointed, I jabbed the spade in only to bottom out about 6" down - Bedrock. Awesome, and a fair way below high tide mark too. I winkled out the silver thruppence and ran some test holes in various directions to try and find the extent of the rock. Only went about 3-5m along the beach, although headed up to a small sticky-outy bit up at the bank. Edges defined, I went to work. Nothing more than a half dozen sinkers. Each one tucked in tight in various cracks. Frustrating, but each could have been gold.
I got to the top of the rock layer, up at the bank, and off to one side was a gut piled with smallish pebbles and rocks - the rest of the beach is sand. If coins are floating around in the wash this is where they'll get stuck. First swing after clearing a few of the larger obstructions and bip...bipbip..bip multiple targets :)
Quick rescan and bipbipbip..bipbip..bipbip. Dozens of them.
Dig a coin, rescan, lift another from the same hole, rescan, and another. Clean. Move the coil just to one side, dig another few coins.
I spent 60 minutes on this one patch, for a grand total of 9 pennies (back to 1922), a silver 3d and a CuNi shilling and sixpence... Plus three handfuls of old decimals - 1.2kg of them! Now, this is a patch no larger than your average kitchen table, they just kept coming out.
Left the decimals there in a heap and returned to pick them up once I'd delivered all the gear to the car and come back with a back pack. I was out of time, so shovelled the pebbles back to keep any other coins in place and made a wee cairn on the bank for when I'm next in the area. I'm damn sure there's more there, and now I've scalped most of the decimals off the top and started finding the pennies, there has to be silver underneath - Hopefully in the same concentrations!

Never did get to that low spot either.

UserPostedImage

The start of something good??
UserPostedImage

HH
MW
steptoeandson  
Posted : Saturday, 30 July 2016 6:53:11 PM(UTC)
steptoeandson

New Zealand

Was thanked: 101 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Nice haul. havent tried beach detecting yet, might have to give it a go sometime.
1864hatter  
Posted : Saturday, 30 July 2016 8:53:20 PM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 566 time(s) in 269 post(s)
Crikey dick Mudwiggle. That's a lot of coins. Seems like a virgin spot to me. Must be gold about
And now....On sandy beaches and muddy soil, rings and coins await my coil!
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Saturday, 30 July 2016 10:26:33 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

New Zealand

Been doing some research and there is a probable reason for the sheer volume of decimals in this spot, but that would give a little too much away at this stage.

I doubt there'll be gold there as these have all been washed in there during storms over the years being a lot more mobile.

I'll be happy to get into some decent silvers though :)
roy1954  
Posted : Saturday, 30 July 2016 10:48:02 PM(UTC)
roy1954

Was thanked: 372 time(s) in 242 post(s)
so many coins could keep you busy for a long time
creamer  
Posted : Sunday, 31 July 2016 10:07:26 AM(UTC)
creamer

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 525 time(s) in 391 post(s)
Bound to be GOLD at the bottom of that Glory Hole.

HGH

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
GoldPandemic  
Posted : Sunday, 31 July 2016 9:27:36 PM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 102 post(s)
That fancy 925 ring is amazing.
Wow you hit the motherload. I'm searching google earth for a cairn now! :)
Treasure/coins: $1
Other artifacts: 1888 button
Lead: 914g
Copper: 46
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Sunday, 7 August 2016 11:02:00 AM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

New Zealand

Hunt 2016.28
Yawning on the Mudflats

Caught the low at some blurry-eyed hour, did a cursory swing as I was walking out through the 100m wide band of rotten ali cans and tabs. Trash slowly thinned out and eventually emerged into clean ground. This is my favourite spot at the moment as once clear of the junk, while targets are relatively sparce, they tend to be good. Was very quiet in the phones as I was beelining it to the waters edge and following my previous tracks in the mud - At least it shows I haven't been missing much except an occasional 10c or 2c.
With nose dripping in the southerly wind, I worked the edge of the water following it in as the tide turned. What I love about the flats is the ground is...well, flat, with no rocks or obstacles and you can work in almost pitch black allowing the brain to focus on the tones rather than being distracted by what's in the headlight beam. Obviously you need to have a good daylight knowledge of what's where to avoid getting caught out.
It was a quiet session overall with an end tally of 53c in old decimals, another musket ball and two small silvers (1934,1937 thruppence) one of which I thought was a 1c until I tipped out the pouch back home... And the usual collection of lead and odd chunks of ali and copper.

Straight out of the pouch:
UserPostedImage

Was planning on going out again this morning, but don't even recall waking to turn the alarm off at 3am... LOL.

HH
MW

Edited by user Sunday, 7 August 2016 11:10:10 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Shocking spelling

Mudwiggle  
Posted : Sunday, 7 August 2016 10:30:05 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

New Zealand

Hunt 2016.29
Random Bay, Whiskey Bottles and Musket Balls.

After sleeping peacefully albeit unintentionally through the morning tide, decided I should make the effort for the afternoon low.
Decided to try a small bay that looked all lonely and unloved on Google Earth, just around from another less than glamorous beach that I tried a couple of years ago with less than mediocre results...
After a short, steep walk down through the bush I came out on a steep shell/cobble beach, looked about the same as I remembered so headed along the waters edge towards the target bay lifting some old decimals and a brand new anode ($50 worth, still with paper price sticker on it).
Scrambled over the oysters into the bay and tried to imagine it before the mud covered everything when the land was being broken in.
One thing that stuck out was a rock pin smack in the middle of the bay, and all on it's lonesome. That had to be a people magnet in one way or another.
Scanned my way over, passing a patch with heaps of small iron signals - assume they were nails from an old shelter on the beach or something that washed in and rotted. Not a boat though as they would have been copper.
Picked up a musket ball as I approached the rock, then another and another along with pieces of old whiskey bottles and it dawned on me - ideal for target practice from the boats back in the day. Ended up keeping a half dozen balls and left many more behind. Given the number that hadn't hit full-on, I'd say the shooters were either inexperienced, at limits of gun range or suffering from excessive whiskey!

UserPostedImage

Moving further up the bay I found a few odds and ends and a neat 1920's "Made in Germany" 6 lever pushkey padlock. Very pleased with this, and as it was getting dark and the tide was well on it's way in, I headed home.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

HH
MW

Edited by user Sunday, 7 August 2016 10:56:01 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Mudwiggle  
Posted : Saturday, 13 August 2016 6:21:08 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

New Zealand

Hunt 2016.30
Out and about

Tides are crap at the moment, so decided to do a random Tiki Tour in the area along some of the less frequented roads, see if anything turned up.
First spot was a summer grassy park-up. Mud and puddles now. Hopped out just as a light drizzle started. Fired up the ATPro and into it.
As expected, it was a carpet of crushed cans, foil, pull tabs, Durex packets and screw caps. Feeling particularly lazy, I loaded up the notching to 75 and above. Any gold/silver can stay there for now...
That shut the trash up, apart from an occasional solid 75-76 goldie. pretty much picked all the low fruit ($8) in about 15min so bundled back into the car and headed off in search of somewhere less muddy.

Found an area at a natural lookout where someone had kindly sprayed the living daylights out of the weeds not so long ago, all that was left was 'scorched earth' and very dead remnants of previously impenetrable ginger etc.
Decided that as it was likely to be reasonably trash free, I'd use the Excal this time.
Nope, roadside near suburbia? Of course there was trash, and plenty of it. Lifted two manky 1950's pennies and an even worse 192? penny which kept the brain (and feet) from wandering off to other places. Then I eyeballed something I recognised.
An ancient pair of binoculars sunbathing - or what was left of them.
Hoovered the area intensively, but no other parts came to light so called it quits.
They appear to be late 1800's - early 1900's. Possibly WW1 issue?
With them cleaned up - started the long task of trying to ID. Many were oh, so close, but failed a match on sizing, metals or configuration.

At least they're a placeholder until a better pair see the light of day.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

This pair are probably a 90% or better match, if not identical other than the lack of milling on the objective lens retaining ring. Unfortunately, the site had no date info other than late 19th.

UserPostedImage

HH
MW
GoldPandemic  
Posted : Saturday, 13 August 2016 8:13:30 PM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 102 post(s)
Nice lock there.
Can you sell that Anode? Is it for a battery?

Lovely fish sinker, nice variety aswel, how many kilograms of lead have you scored this year?
Treasure/coins: $1
Other artifacts: 1888 button
Lead: 914g
Copper: 46
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Saturday, 13 August 2016 8:54:02 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

New Zealand

Originally Posted by: GoldPandemic Go to Quoted Post
Can you sell that Anode? Is it for a battery?
how many kilograms of lead have you scored this year?

Gave the anode to one of the gamefishos at work, no use to me and not worth the hassle of selling...Besides, helps offset the pile of smoked marlin he gave me this summer :)
It's a sacrificial zinc anode for boats. They corrode preferentially and protects the motor etc.

Haven't been keeping tally of lead this year, but maybe 5-8kg in the bucket so far

creamer  
Posted : Monday, 15 August 2016 10:58:16 AM(UTC)
creamer

Man

Was thanked: 525 time(s) in 391 post(s)
Kaiapoi Mills button - that must be the Wool Mills - was the place to work back in the day.

Garrett Ace 350
Xpointer

www.nzfossickers.co.nz
Iggyrulz  
Posted : Tuesday, 16 August 2016 12:00:56 AM(UTC)
Iggyrulz

New Zealand

Was thanked: 327 time(s) in 196 post(s)
Lots of the good stuff emerging. Crickey hunt #27......incredible number of coins for sure, what a buzz.

That padlock is a sweet find.
HH Iggy
4 Pages«<234