New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

ElCrazy  
Posted : Friday, 8 January 2016 3:23:33 PM(UTC)
ElCrazy

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Just in case anyone is offered a used Keene 51 type sluice, as I'm sure no one in these forums would steal someone else's gear, my kids and I had ours stolen at New Creek off the Howard.

If by chance someone reads this who was the culprit you might want to think about how your actions affect others.

We left our tent on Thursday for a few hours with our sluice and some chairs buckets etc. outside came back and the sluice was gone. Everything else was there, Kids were just getting into it and we are pretty gutted. Kids can use a sluice where panning is a bit tricky for them.

I thought there was a code we kept when we don't steal from each other. I've seen many sluices and gear stashed in my travels never ever thought about stuffing up another person.
Southridge  
Posted : Friday, 8 January 2016 3:53:18 PM(UTC)
Southridge

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Hey mate what a real nasty peice of work they must be to steal anything from a another person for a start but you are right I find gear all the time and just keep on walking and just think good on em if you end up down Otago way I have a Keene you can borrow anyhow chin up and just think karma is a bitch and they will get what's comeing to em in some way or another
GoldPandemic  
Posted : Friday, 8 January 2016 10:33:07 PM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 102 post(s)
Thanks, I'll watch my back when I get over that way.
I doubt that kind of person has any conscience.
Treasure/coins: $1
Other artifacts: 1888 button
Lead: 914g
Copper: 46
andyK  
Posted : Saturday, 9 January 2016 7:39:12 AM(UTC)
andyK

New Zealand

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Bloody scum bags it's for this reason ive purchased myself a trail cam. I set this up by my truck when I head into the bush and then hopefully if anyone decides to "tinker with my tonka" ill catch there mug shot or even better rego on camera. It's a shame its come to this but ive heard too many horror stories lately . $100 off trademe but well worth it at end of the day.
ElCrazy  
Posted : Saturday, 9 January 2016 5:59:29 PM(UTC)
ElCrazy

New Zealand

Yeah I also realised today they took my kids gold pan - really small plastic pan I have no idea why anyone would want a kids gold pan sigh. i get over there a bit so if you ever want a joint mission holla. Cheers mate

Originally Posted by: GoldPandemic Go to Quoted Post
Thanks, I'll watch my back when I get over that way.
I doubt that kind of person has any conscience.

ElCrazy  
Posted : Saturday, 9 January 2016 6:05:20 PM(UTC)
ElCrazy

New Zealand

That's a very good idea mate. I'm going to try and forget it and still treat people I run into well but it makes you wonder about people you meet.

Originally Posted by: andyK Go to Quoted Post
Bloody scum bags it's for this reason ive purchased myself a trail cam. I set this up by my truck when I head into the bush and then hopefully if anyone decides to "tinker with my tonka" ill catch there mug shot or even better rego on camera. It's a shame its come to this but ive heard too many horror stories lately . $100 off trademe but well worth it at end of the day.

gingerbreadman  
Posted : Sunday, 10 January 2016 11:57:36 AM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 74 post(s)
This time of year theres all sorts wandering around plenty of stoners out there checking there plants
helidredger  
Posted : Tuesday, 12 January 2016 11:03:18 AM(UTC)
helidredger

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Woman

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 11 post(s)

Edited by user Monday, 20 June 2016 10:15:07 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1864hatter  
Posted : Tuesday, 12 January 2016 5:49:08 PM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 566 time(s) in 269 post(s)
Originally Posted by: helidredger Go to Quoted Post
Alistair maclean motueka valley

Hey helidredger, you seem to have a real issue with a certain person. In fact most of your recent posts are related to them. Perhaps trashing their name on a public forum is not the best idea?

Edited by user Tuesday, 12 January 2016 5:52:41 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

And now....On sandy beaches and muddy soil, rings and coins await my coil!
helidredger  
Posted : Tuesday, 12 January 2016 6:12:03 PM(UTC)
helidredger

Woman

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 11 post(s)

Edited by user Monday, 20 June 2016 10:14:04 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Cleggie  
Posted : Tuesday, 12 January 2016 6:28:52 PM(UTC)
Cleggie

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Wow, that's sad mate. I know how I would feel if someone nicked my sluice. I have been lucky enough to strike some really nice and genuine folk on my fossicking missions but it just goes to show that you need to be on your guard. I sometimes leave my gear down at the creek over night and have always found it there as I left it the next morning. Now after reading about your experience I'm not so sure I will continue that practice.

Don't let one bad experience ruin what is a really great hobby. Hope you and your kids bounce back and have some nice times finding gold in the future. Good luck and I will look out anyone offering me a cheap Keene 51 sluice.
GoldPandemic  
Posted : Tuesday, 12 January 2016 6:44:23 PM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 102 post(s)
Covertly initial your gear with an engraver or dremel. I'm going to do that with my gear now.
Bet they took it for personal use.
Treasure/coins: $1
Other artifacts: 1888 button
Lead: 914g
Copper: 46
WestieDigger  
Posted : Tuesday, 12 January 2016 10:26:27 PM(UTC)
WestieDigger

New Zealand

Was thanked: 291 time(s) in 135 post(s)
Covertly initial your gear with an engraver or dremel. I'm going to do that with my gear now.

If you engrave your drivers license number on stuff the cops can return it to you if it turns up during other enquiries.... got a few mountain bikes back that way.
2016 Totals

Gold 0
Silver 3
Silver coins 25
Returns 2

my blog-
http://westiedigger.blogspot.co.nz
LBD  
Posted : Wednesday, 13 January 2016 3:06:23 AM(UTC)
LBD

Man
Laos

Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Originally Posted by: WestieDigger Go to Quoted Post

If you engrave your drivers license number on stuff the cops can return it to you if it turns up during other enquiries.... got a few mountain bikes back that way.

And the police have not cottoned on to you yet?... surely lurking around public bike racks with an engraving tool would be a dead give away....

Edited by user Wednesday, 13 January 2016 3:07:07 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ElCrazy  
Posted : Wednesday, 13 January 2016 9:06:09 AM(UTC)
ElCrazy

New Zealand

Thanks Cleggie,

Yeah I've left my sluice overnight a few times also always been there when I returned. This time not so much, my kids gold pan also, these people no conscience! No practical use for a tiny plastic pan?.

Some great ideas in the posts like the camera and engraved drivers license I'll pick up on. But moral of story be very careful as getting a replacement even a cheap one like mine, not easy in short time when on holiday!

I guess I'll never see it again but it's carthartic to have some sympathy 8-)

The good news was Dredgenz folks got a replacement to me real quick and me and my kids had decent clean out on its first use yesterday.

Originally Posted by: Cleggie Go to Quoted Post
Wow, that's sad mate. I know how I would feel if someone nicked my sluice. I have been lucky enough to strike some really nice and genuine folk on my fossicking missions but it just goes to show that you need to be on your guard. I sometimes leave my gear down at the creek over night and have always found it there as I left it the next morning. Now after reading about your experience I'm not so sure I will continue that practice.

Don't let one bad experience ruin what is a really great hobby. Hope you and your kids bounce back and have some nice times finding gold in the future. Good luck and I will look out anyone offering me a cheap Keene 51 sluice.