New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

Iggyrulz  
Posted : Sunday, 10 January 2016 11:18:10 PM(UTC)
Iggyrulz

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Was thanked: 327 time(s) in 196 post(s)
Evening all, just after some advice regarding gold testing kits. Just back from a wee hunt and I think I may have found a 21 gram gold medalion :) (but unsure as it is a bit rough)
I had a quick look on Trade me but thought it best to seek advice from those that have used/owned these acid type kits and if there is a preferred brand or maybe a kit that can test gold, silver, copper etc.
Thanks Iggy
WestieDigger  
Posted : Tuesday, 12 January 2016 10:51:02 PM(UTC)
WestieDigger

New Zealand

Was thanked: 291 time(s) in 135 post(s)
I am looking to buy a tester too. I saw minelab has just released a multi meter type gold tester no idea about what the price is and it looks like you need a peice of 18ct gold to calibrate it.
2016 Totals

Gold 0
Silver 3
Silver coins 25
Returns 2

my blog-
http://westiedigger.blogspot.co.nz
Iggyrulz  
Posted : Tuesday, 12 January 2016 11:18:25 PM(UTC)
Iggyrulz

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

New Zealand

Originally Posted by: WestieDigger Go to Quoted Post
I am looking to buy a tester too. I saw minelab has just released a multi meter type gold tester no idea about what the price is and it looks like you need a peice of 18ct gold to calibrate it.

Thanks, that sounds intriguing, I took the medallion into a jewler today for a wee test had pretty much decided it was brass by the time I got there and test confirmed( or at least that it wasn't gold)
Got talking about test kits he was telling me that they are not really available to the general public as such but could order me one from his gold guy? It didn't seem like it would include stone just acids. I don't know cost and by the sound of it a silver kit would be seperate. I said I would hold off until I can find out a bit more info as I really don't know anything about them yet.
Cheers Iggy

Edited by user Tuesday, 12 January 2016 11:22:07 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Typo

WestieDigger  
Posted : Wednesday, 13 January 2016 11:19:37 AM(UTC)
WestieDigger

New Zealand

2016 Totals

Gold 0
Silver 3
Silver coins 25
Returns 2

my blog-
WestieDigger  
Posted : Wednesday, 13 January 2016 11:20:22 AM(UTC)
WestieDigger

New Zealand

Edited by user Wednesday, 13 January 2016 7:03:24 PM(UTC)  | Reason: double posted

2016 Totals

Gold 0
Silver 3
Silver coins 25
Returns 2

my blog-
Iggyrulz  
Posted : Thursday, 14 January 2016 5:38:58 PM(UTC)
Iggyrulz

New Zealand

I see on Amazon they have quite a few acid type kits some including scales etc. they seem to be around the $20-$60 US although there may be problems getting them here? I need a new finds bag (quite like the Kellyco type ) so may kill two birds with one stone so to speak.
I saw one of the mine lab ones around the $370 US from memory, they look good but a bit serious for me especially considering I have trouble finding gold to test.