New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

Zman  
Posted : Sunday, 17 January 2016 10:35:34 PM(UTC)
Zman

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
In the years I have done prospecting I think how I often go places that most people would not think of nor try. Also that any of these current serial killers are thinking the same thing. I have come across bones (nothing obviously human) and about a month ago in a secluded creek area I found a big pile of bloated stinking intestines floating in a stagnant part of the creek. From some large animal (what I thought) and no bones unless submerged in the muddy water. I think how I could easily become a victim in one of those remote areas. Also found an old bullet casing down stream with the detector. Do you folks when you are off in the middle of no where ever think things like this?
kiwikeith  
Posted : Monday, 18 January 2016 7:02:39 AM(UTC)
kiwikeith

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Helped organise get together for Paydirt members and volunteered gold claim for the event (Oct 2013)

Was thanked: 230 time(s) in 154 post(s)
sorry bout your fears . but I live in new Zealand. my only fear is a giant ell might get me while diving in a deep black pool. have seen them up to 8 feet long and weighing in at over 200lb . mostly seen at night sitting round the camp fire having a drink or smoke
deepdive  
Posted : Monday, 18 January 2016 8:57:15 AM(UTC)
deepdive

New Zealand

Same as Kiwikieth, made a pact with my eel, do not f...k with me and I will not eat you. Been 3 years now, shows up soon as the motors start up comes right up to me then drops back behind the dredge, feed time for her.
LBD  
Posted : Monday, 18 January 2016 12:35:26 PM(UTC)
LBD

Man
Laos

Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Zman Go to Quoted Post
I found a big pile of bloated stinking intestines...........
Also found an old bullet casing down stream with the detector. Do you folks when you are off in the middle of no where ever think things like this?

A hunter gutted an animal...

It is normal to find many bullets, casings and shot in the rivers...

Sounds like you are suffering from a dose of paranoia.... But then, just because you may be paranoid, it does not mean a serial killer is not out to get you...
Mudwiggle  
Posted : Monday, 18 January 2016 2:31:16 PM(UTC)
Mudwiggle

Groups: Registered, Moderators
New Zealand

Was thanked: 683 time(s) in 317 post(s)
My concern increases in proportion to my proximity to 'civilisation'.
Biggest danger in the bush here is getting shot, not by some psychopath, but by a hunter thinking you're a wild boar...

And nothing beats having a big drink out of a pristine bush stream, then heading round the corner to find a well decomposed deer in the shallows.

Having said that, I have had a couple of spooks. One of which was enough that I ain't going back there - even in daylight.
number8wire  
Posted : Monday, 18 January 2016 2:49:21 PM(UTC)
number8wire

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 880 time(s) in 425 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mudwiggle Go to Quoted Post

Having said that, I have had a couple of spooks. One of which was enough that I ain't going back there - even in daylight.

Was that your "paranormal" experience?
TEKNETICS T2 SE plus X-POINTER
Silver coins- 233
Other silver- 13
Gold- 1
Sovereigns-0
Spendies -$119.00
overdog  
Posted : Monday, 18 January 2016 5:50:56 PM(UTC)
overdog

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 68 post(s)
I'm with the Wigglemeister on this one-the further bush I go the less worried about humans I am. What concerns me is the other stuff-falling trees,rolling boulders,or busting an ankle miles away from anywhere.
GoldPandemic  
Posted : Monday, 18 January 2016 10:41:46 PM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 102 post(s)
I fear Kea & Rats eating my food, destroying my dry bags, stealing my top maps when I am 2 or more weeks deep in the bush.
UserPostedImage
Treasure/coins: $1
Other artifacts: 1888 button
Lead: 914g
Copper: 46
Zman  
Posted : Thursday, 21 January 2016 9:47:13 PM(UTC)
Zman

United States

You might say paranoia I mean I lived in the USA a long time and people go missing all the time over there. I also saw something that would scare the shit out of most people. Close-up UFO encounter in the desert. The thing looked like a oblong mercury kind of craft that was less than half a mile from me and utterly silent. I had all my prospecting gear on and saw it land in an old volcanic ravine. I could not get my camera out fast enough as it was in my pack that is what made me most frustrated. I was pretty freaked out. I could not find the landing zone. This is all said in total seriousness. I decided to head back to my car. I was wearing a desert camo head cover. I was almost to my vehicle when I noticed a vehicle that had been parked in the boonies not far from mine, pull up seeing my car and the two tall thin "people" who wore tan coverall kind of clothing with head covers approached my car looking in the windows. Perhaps they were wondering who I was. It was like an episode out of the X files.
File Attachment(s):
LBD  
Posted : Thursday, 21 January 2016 10:04:22 PM(UTC)
LBD

Man
Laos

Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Zman Go to Quoted Post
You might say paranoia .................. Close-up UFO encounter in the desert. The thing looked like a oblong mercury kind of craft that was less than half a mile from me and utterly silent. ..................two tall thin "people" who wore tan coverall kind of clothing with head covers approached my car looking in the windows. Perhaps they were wondering who I was. It was like an episode out of the X files.

http://www.theguardian.c...ia-psychoactive-thc-mood

I wanted to take you serious after your first post....
Zman  
Posted : Friday, 22 January 2016 2:01:07 AM(UTC)
Zman

United States

No smoking or taking drugs as you infer. Climbing those rocky ravines one would be dead if under the influence.
This is one big reason people don't talk. Though I don't care what others think that's what happened.
deepdive  
Posted : Friday, 22 January 2016 9:32:59 AM(UTC)
deepdive

New Zealand

Hey GoldPandemic I think DOC have just about got rid of all the Keas down here, should have the rest gone by the end of the year ( Ba.....ds). They seem to be having no success with rats though. But on a more serious note about the rats they can carry a lung disease so wash mouthpiece and face mask, keep site clean of food ect when leaving. Two of my associates ended up ill and this was the conclusion of the doctors. Can not remember name of the disease, will ask when I see him next and post on this thread. My pet eel is getting fatter.
GoldPandemic  
Posted : Friday, 22 January 2016 12:25:10 PM(UTC)
GoldPandemic

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 102 post(s)
I forgot to mention Weka's. They are roadrunner thieves, if you leave any items lying on the ground - doesn't need to be food. Very difficult to catch, or locate after they dive into thick Bracken scrub.
Good thing they're limited to the west coast. They're protected also.

Here is a good tip:
They will take the objects to the nearest cover to investigate them. For this reason it is best not to chase weka but to simply watch where they go and retrieve the objects a little later.

Just found out they've bern reintroduced to the Kaimai's. Take care fellow prospectors.
Treasure/coins: $1
Other artifacts: 1888 button
Lead: 914g
Copper: 46
Zman  
Posted : Friday, 22 January 2016 11:14:48 PM(UTC)
Zman

United States

It's a shame some foul up the creeks with dead animals etc. Imagine having to drink that water in an emergency!
kiwikeith  
Posted : Saturday, 23 January 2016 8:52:30 AM(UTC)
kiwikeith

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Helped organise get together for Paydirt members and volunteered gold claim for the event (Oct 2013)

Was thanked: 230 time(s) in 154 post(s)
its no worse than someone I saw once pissing over the edge of a high up swing bridge just to see what happened.

he did find out but not what he was expecting. lets just say he had to climb down to his pack