New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

hannahhart  
Posted : Tuesday, 14 June 2016 8:46:32 PM(UTC)
hannahhart

Groups: Registered
Woman
New Zealand

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hi all, Im pretty new on the gold scene and could use some expert advice on what gear i should acquire.
so Im moving down to Ross on the west coast, have done some gold panning/sluicing down the west coast in the past but I now have access to a claim and can use more high tech equipment ie/. dredges etc... . i have been looking at getting a 2 inch suction dredge, but am wondering what other equipment i should get. I'm on a budget of about $4000, so my question is: what are everybodys favorite bits of equipment?, what are the "must-haves" for gold fossicking?
Thanks in advance
1864hatter  
Posted : Tuesday, 14 June 2016 10:28:39 PM(UTC)
1864hatter

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 566 time(s) in 269 post(s)
If you have 4000 to spend I would advise against a two inch. I have used one on a couple of occasions and in both instances I could have moved more material with a shovel and sluice box. It's just because there is way too many rocks that are too big to go up the nozzle. I would try to get hold of a used 4 inch dredge (should be easy on the coast) and something like, dare I say it, a gold bug detector.
And now....On sandy beaches and muddy soil, rings and coins await my coil!
eastcoastboys  
Posted : Thursday, 16 June 2016 3:38:04 PM(UTC)
eastcoastboys

New Zealand

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
hey dude just like hatter says a 4 inch is better but all depends on what the ground is like on ya claim i have used a 2and a half inch and a 6 the 2 is good for cracks and stuff but the 6 moves the dirt more but if getting in there is hard the 2 is more portable then if u have lots of bedrock ya might be better with a detector happy hunting if ya need a hand just let me no allways keen on a coast trip to find the yellow stuff
3 Silver rings $55.20 spendables 1 silver
kiwikeith  
Posted : Thursday, 16 June 2016 3:51:46 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Helped organise get together for Paydirt members and volunteered gold claim for the event (Oct 2013)

Was thanked: 230 time(s) in 154 post(s)
having used 2", 4" 5" it all depends on the ground you are working.
a 4" is the best all-rounder but limited if working small creeks you really have to know what you are doing. also what type of ground will dictate what size. today I use a 2" it catches all the gold I want and it is small and portable enough to move round. a good 4" will set you back 5 to 6 grand 2nd hand for a good one. pm me if you want more imfo as some stuff is best not posted.
Darren  
Posted : Friday, 17 June 2016 9:53:14 PM(UTC)
Darren

New Zealand

Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 19 post(s)
I agree with what Hatter1864 has said, sound advice, if you have access to a claim with resource consent to dredge then you want a dredge 4" or up.

I have a 2.5" and its great having something that is slightly more portable and that doesn't need as much water to run (summer creek levels), but I would trade all that portability for the ability to move bigger material through the nozzle. The 2.5 by myself moves about what I would move in the same time with a shovel and a gravity sluice, granted my arms don't get as tired but I do get a lot colder in a wetsuit.

Don't buy a dredge sight unseen, and do not buy a locally made dredge that you haven't seen in operation.