New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

peter  
Posted : Wednesday, 17 August 2016 10:13:40 AM(UTC)
peter

Groups: Registered
New Zealand

Hi all,
Moving to Takaka area soon and wondered how many of you are in that area.
We live in Taupo now but have been fosiking in oz for Saphire with success and now would like to find some Gold.
KGBee  
Posted : Wednesday, 17 August 2016 12:59:42 PM(UTC)
KGBee

Man

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi Peter,
Takaka is a cool wee place.
I'm 'over the hill' in Richmond, but travel over your way a fair bit (holiday home at Pakawau).
Might see you one day.
auholic  
Posted : Wednesday, 17 August 2016 7:48:19 PM(UTC)
auholic

New Zealand

Hi Peter
I,m living in Takaka , we have Rose Cottage motels , have been following paydirt forums for a while and have found it a wealth of info.
saw your post so thought I should join.I get out for a fossick quite often and there is some great country to see. have only visited one of the public fossicking areas and you can always get some colour there. can give you a lot of help re other areas, give us a call or drop in
peter  
Posted : Wednesday, 17 August 2016 8:45:19 PM(UTC)
peter

New Zealand

That sounds good,we will be down to bring sons boat for him in October sometime so will look you up then.
KGBee  
Posted : Friday, 19 August 2016 8:34:53 PM(UTC)
KGBee

Man

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Any Takaka folk (or Golden Bay in general) please keep a look out for any 'strange' metal pieces as you fossick around.
My cobber is tracing historical air crashes in NZ and there is one he wants to find to bring closure to remaining family, etc..
Moncrief and Hood disappeared in 1928 when trying to be the first to fly across the Tasman (Sydney to Wellington).
There are 2 reports of a strange metal framework resting up on a ridge (possibly Aorere area).
There was a person who saw it in the 1960's but thought it was just the remains of a crashed top dressing plane.
He said it was just a fuselage framework, and it was perched on top of a ridge.
No wings, cabin, or motor showing so probably the plane broke into bits on impact.
No bodies (skeletal remains) found.
Some young pig hunters saw it too before that time. They had a pig bailed up and saw the same 'frame' on a ridge, checked it out after getting the pig, and thought no more about it. "Just an old crashed plane" sort of thing.
The frame was in a 'ladder' type construction of alloy tubing, and the plane had a single radial engine.
The plane lost contact with Wellington at late afternoon, which would put the plane in the Golden Bay area.
Any tiny wee scrap of alloy can be all that's needed to help with finding the likely area.
Thanks for any help or info.