New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

Shilo  
Posted : Monday, 3 October 2011 8:29:10 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
I much prefer beach hunting instead of land so with it blowing a gale tonight and hopefully eroding some of the beaches to expose some gold and silver, I decided to study up on beach erosion.

One of the first hits with Google was the jackpot:

http://www.seafriends.org.nz/oceano/beach.htm#beach

Some of the parts that I find interesting are:

"Storm Damage".
There were patches on local beaches that matched it perfectly. When we last had a long period of onshore winds and storms (few months ago) the top part of the diagram matched the beach profile of these areas. Over the couple of months it took to repair I pulled 6 gold rings, as many silver rings and uncounted number of coins from the cut out "dry" sand areas.

Once the repair happened the bottom part of the diagram matched. It shows 2 guts - one near the low tide mark and one near the high. I pulled another 5 gold rings out of these areas. There were virtually no waves while these guts formed and got deeper. Last October before I got a detector there was a very deep gut formed on one of the beaches - hope it happens again!

This week when the waves started the beaches smoothed out to a gentle slope. I'm now hoping the top areas get cut away again and the whole cycle starts over.

"Beach Cycles"
Defiantly an Erosion Year this year. This means I gotta make hay while the sunshines as next year targets could be few and far between.

"Rips and Cusps"
Tellies up with what I have picked up from detecting the border of wet to dry sand. I don't even bother swinging the coil between the cusps any more as there are only pull taps up there. Also I have found that an onshore wind that has the waves coming in on an angle is much better for hitting targets then when waves are crashing straight onto the beach.

Edited by user Monday, 3 October 2011 8:30:09 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Monday, 3 October 2011 9:56:19 PM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 384 time(s) in 329 post(s)
thanks for the link shilo...great info.
Chris - Fisher Dealer http://www.puiakisupply.co.nz/
tonznz  
Posted : Monday, 3 October 2011 11:03:55 PM(UTC)
tonznz

Medals: Donation: Made a second donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you once again! :)

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 152 post(s)
"I gotta make hay while the sunshines as next year targets could be few and far between" I always think that. And I know that to be true from experience. That's what drives me out there with two pairs of gloves on at night down on the beach. Because its good now but when its not good you can swing the coil for ages with few targets. Well said. Get out there guys!
oroplata  
Posted : Tuesday, 4 October 2011 2:43:09 PM(UTC)
oroplata

Groups: Registered, Moderators

Was thanked: 211 time(s) in 152 post(s)

I'm looking for the "coin hoards form here" mark on the diagram but I can't find it.

Shilo  
Posted : Tuesday, 4 October 2011 6:19:13 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
Originally Posted by: oroplata Go to Quoted Post

I'm looking for the "coin hoards form here" mark on the diagram but I can't find it.

Yup it is there. All the hollows or low points on the diagrams have a big X marked over them. Also for coins a few metres of the slopes on the edges of the hollows also have big X's.

Now you just have to overlay these diagrams onto your favourite beach! :)