New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

oroplata  
Posted : Thursday, 3 November 2011 10:03:51 PM(UTC)
oroplata

Groups: Registered, Moderators

Was thanked: 211 time(s) in 152 post(s)

Went for a short hunt at Hagley Park today, close to the currently drained Victoria Lake. Met an old guy there who was gazing at the lake longing for it to be filled so him and his mates can sail their model yachts there again.

I was discussing with him whether people would have thrown coins into the lake but he said that after the lake drained (due to the earthquake), they put bulldozers in there and scooped out the top foot of silt before laying bentonite clay down - which they're doing now.

He also mentioned his grandfather put a sovereign in his hand when he was born and he still has it and has willed it to his 2 yo great grandson who is now 2yo. Pretty cool.

I bumped into another detectorist there who has probably just about cleaned the area around there out. He pulled a 1900 thruppence out from about 8 inches down when I was there. I didn't find any silver, but got a few british pennies and halfpennies, a bullet casing, a silver plated spoon (with most of the silver eroded off) and a token - 1 Penny, Thomas H. Cope, Draper, South Yarra, Victoria - unfortunately in pretty poor condition.

http://museumvictoria.co...-victoria-australia-1862

nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Thursday, 3 November 2011 11:06:29 PM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 384 time(s) in 329 post(s)
there is still plenty there,also if you check ontop of the mounds of dirt they took out of the two lakes you may find coins...i found 3 within a foot of eachother ontop of one of them just befor i left there the other day...also got 15 bucks in gold coins and just near the old model yatch club i got my silver half crown...and on the other side of the lake i got a silver silling and thrupence..
Chris - Fisher Dealer http://www.puiakisupply.co.nz/
Guardian  
Posted : Thursday, 3 November 2011 11:38:27 PM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 222 time(s) in 185 post(s)
I remember walking through Hagley park just after the Feb quake, was surreal, not a soul in sight, was like a movie where everyone else was gone and you were the only one left... upside it made you more aware of where you remembered seeing people...

There used to be a lot of people sitting not to far back from the lake watching the boats sail, mostly by the bench seats down to the first corner. I remember seeing a few coins (also a few trout) at the sides of the bridge that goes between the carpark and the gardens I'm unsure what state that area is in now. Of course around the netball courts, most likely gone over pretty well I'd guess. Another place maybe less thought of would be at the end of Lester Lane (Off Deans Ave). HEAPS of people park down there for Saturday sports and over 100 EQC cars almost everyday since the quake.
You could also go into the old stock yards the caretakers name is Patrick, just be aware of the wildlife (if you know what I mean) and of course used needles. In second thoughts maybe leave that one alone!

Happy hunting!
nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Friday, 4 November 2011 1:06:00 AM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 384 time(s) in 329 post(s)
was in the old stock yards the other day..it is very hard to swing the detector as it is really well grown over.
Chris - Fisher Dealer http://www.puiakisupply.co.nz/