New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

KGBee  
Posted : Monday, 14 November 2011 7:43:47 PM(UTC)
KGBee

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I hope I'm not stepping on anyones toes here, but about 40 years ago I shot Griffin Creek a fair bit.
I always carried my gold pan (large, solid steel, heavy....you know the one).
I did use it for washing in, cutting out meat into, and made a handy wok too (yes, really).
Also panned a fair bit through most of the day, as I usually hunted early morning and evening.
So, anyway, there is quite nice grainy gold in Griffin Creek (anyone claimed it?).
I for sure won't be climbing back into there, but some of you might want to look.
Access is off the main Otira/West Coast Road, up Harringtons Creek for a wee while and the marked track starts on the left.
Maybe a 2 - 3 hour walk. There is a hut in there too.
Very pretty wee place.

Maybe take a rifle too. Sure to be deer in there still.
I shot my best stag in there in 1973. A lovely 12 pointer.
Still have the antlers mounted on a wooden shield.

Edited by user Saturday, 19 November 2011 12:50:51 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

gavin  
Posted : Monday, 14 November 2011 9:29:08 PM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Cheers KGBee, doesn't look like anyone's claimed that one yet ;)
KGBee  
Posted : Wednesday, 16 November 2011 3:18:14 PM(UTC)
KGBee

Man

Hi Gavin.
Probably 'cos no one else was silly enough to lug a gold pan in there just to see what they could find.
It is a wee bit of a grunt uphill (about 1/3 uphill, 1/3 downhill, 1/3 reasonably flat).
If I was younger and fitter I'd probably get interested in that spot again.
Think I'll leave it to the younger guys now!
gavin  
Posted : Wednesday, 16 November 2011 6:48:39 PM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
I may have to give it a quick go when I'm over that way next. Not sure how long that will be though as having some wrist surgery on Fri so prob in a cast for a month - limits my playing in the water a bit! ;)
kiwikeith  
Posted : Wednesday, 16 November 2011 9:22:47 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Helped organise get together for Paydirt members and volunteered gold claim for the event (Oct 2013)

Was thanked: 230 time(s) in 154 post(s)
i havent mined in griffin creek but have panned a little in rocky creek which is on the other side of the hill got some fine gold but ewhen i looked at the mouth where it comes into the taipo there was go0od colour there now did it come from rocky or the taipo?
KGBee  
Posted : Saturday, 19 November 2011 10:27:25 AM(UTC)
KGBee

Man

Ooops, my bad!
How come I wrote 'Griffen'?
Griffin Creek is right (now edited original posting).
Must be thinking of a Harry Potter creature!
Anyway, the gold I found was just by scooping my pan into sandy areas of the creek bed. No shovel or trowel.
Couldn't be bothered carrying one in. Makes me think that there must be a reasonable amount of gold as I wasn't getting into bedrock or anything.
Just scraping away at the edge of the creek. Kept my feet dry though.
There is an old Serpentine mine further along. I think you would access by going along the tops, rather than turning left down into Griffin Creek.
The old mine area could be worth detectoring (what a neat word).
Hi kiwikeith. There was an old mine at 7 mile Creek in the Taipo.
Don't know what was mined there. Remains of a bush track, small rail lines etc behind the old homestead at 7 Mile. Never went to the end though, to see what was there.

Edited by user Saturday, 19 November 2011 10:31:53 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

kiwikeith  
Posted : Saturday, 19 November 2011 5:19:29 PM(UTC)
kiwikeith

Medals: Outstanding Contribution: Helped organise get together for Paydirt members and volunteered gold claim for the event (Oct 2013)

Was thanked: 230 time(s) in 154 post(s)
hi kgbee
the 7 mile was mined for gold if you take the track up to the kelly tops to carol hut you follow you and old water race very deep like 3m there are drives all over the place up there
a few years backthe whole of 7 mile delta was mined with a rotory screen good gold came out i saw it the thrack you refer to was an old mule road that takes you onto the tops behind jacksons pub there was a gold mine up there they loaded up the mules to bring the pay dirt down
7 mile creek still has good colour
john charles in arthurs pass town is the guy to talk to he knows the location of the mine on the tops

i walked the kelly tops years ago found and old stone hut (no roof) also a fork and a spoon even an old rusted pan
there used to be a ski field up there at the carol hut
access can be gained by kelly stream up to the hut its very steep and takes a good 3 hours nov / dec the best time because all the wild flowers are out its all doc land so just go for it
chchfossiker  
Posted : Saturday, 19 November 2011 6:06:37 PM(UTC)
chchfossiker

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 12 post(s)
the fork of the taipo and 7mile is actually under claim. just had a perve on the permit maps. must be alrite up there me thinks
goldfinger  
Posted : Sunday, 20 November 2011 9:24:03 AM(UTC)
goldfinger

Man

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 16 post(s)
There are 2 diggers working on the north side terrace about 15 feet above river level about 15mins walk from 7 mile hut (sept 2011) There is also a new road in front of the 7mile hut leading over the terrace behind the hut to the workings . A lot of trees being pushed. The 4x4 track to 7 mile is in excellent condition being maintained by the claim holders. The 7 mile was suction dredged during the mid 90s some of their unwanted gear still remains higher up in the gorge. The 7 mile fan was dug over from top to bottom by a Mr pat Fitzgerald as mentioned above. According to records around 1867 a tunnel was blasted through hard rock to exit in the upper 7 mile gorge to bring water down to the south terrace a considerable amount of work was done there with the intention of slucing the complete terrace , one water race ends directly above Dillons homestead. There is good colour in the unworked terrace left behind. By following the main water race you can locate the tunnel exit about 10min bush bash off the kellys track which cuts through some of the sluiced area ,a number of vertical shafts and trenching remain partly covered over on top of the terrace , it appears that ground sluicing was used there. The Dillon family also worked the 7 mile gorge during the 1930s turning the river into the old tunnel to drop the level of the 7 mile to get access to the bottom in the wider sections , they left the valley around 1967 to live in Hokitika. For many years old timbers and cement work protected the tunnel mouth from floods , but that has all been washed away now and the tunnel mouth is now buried.

Edited by user Wednesday, 23 November 2011 3:08:48 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

KGBee  
Posted : Friday, 25 November 2011 8:18:45 PM(UTC)
KGBee

Man

Many thanks to all for your info.
I haven't been in the Taipo area for over 30 years now.
If I remember correctly there was a hut (Forest Service/DOC?) near 7 Mile Creek, but across from Dillons Homestead (downstream on the Taipo).
The topo map shows a hut now on the same side of the creek, but a bit further up the Taipo.
Same hut but been moved?
If going in to Griffin, the area I panned was (if you use the topo map feature at top right of this web site) the wide part where the 'ff' of the word Griffin just touch the creek. This is when you come off the track in.
That was also where I shot my lovely 12 pointer.
If you take a rifle in, don't just walk out into the creek bed.
Hold back in the shadow of the bush for a while and check the grass flats carefully.
Good luck if you're going in, and would be delighted to read on here of any success.

ps. Quick edit!
There were a couple of old cars darn near submerged under gravel at Dillons.
There was a Model T, as I found the cylinder head from it. I think the other was a Reo (?).
Just the windscreen frames and part of the scuttle showing last I saw.
Must have been a beauty flood!

Edited by user Saturday, 26 November 2011 12:51:03 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

goldfinger  
Posted : Saturday, 26 November 2011 8:03:00 AM(UTC)
goldfinger

Man

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 16 post(s)
The Dillons homestead remains in the same place some what altered from the original .The other hut further up is the newish DOC hut. The forest service hut below the 7 mile still remains in tack .
digahole  
Posted : Friday, 2 December 2011 11:31:48 AM(UTC)
digahole

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I just got back from Griffin creek, I did a wee bit of panning and did get some fine gold in the pan, it's a real nice looking area and not often visited I would say not another foot print in the creek bed, apart from the odd deer print, BUT WHAT A EFFORT GETTING IN THERE!!!! The track if you can call it that, hasn't been maintained in a coons age, although I did open it up a bit in places to get through. By the way it takes about 5 hours from the highway to riverbed, with a overnight pack on your back. If your going in, be prepared to do some STEEP CLIMBING AND FANCY FOOTWORK, and carry as much water as you think you will need for 5 hours of gut busting pain!!!!
chrischch  
Posted : Friday, 2 December 2011 2:20:05 PM(UTC)
chrischch

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 104 post(s)
"ps. Quick edit!
There were a couple of old cars darn near submerged under gravel at Dillons.
There was a Model T, as I found the cylinder head from it. I think the other was a Reo (?).
Just the windscreen frames and part of the scuttle showing last I saw.
Must have been a beauty flood!"

If anyone sees them still there, let me know. I'm after a windscreen frame for a model t. I have adapted a chevy one but would prefer the real mccoy. I dont even mind if the glass is cracked lol!
Fisher Goldbug Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Propointer.
KGBee  
Posted : Friday, 2 December 2011 3:52:45 PM(UTC)
KGBee

Man

Hi digahole.
Well, I was a fit wee fella 30 years ago, including a few years in the NZ Regular Army.
So what to me was a wee stroll could be a bit of a grind for someone else.
I used to go in with a full pack for 4 or 5 days stay and usually took under 3 hours (and never bothered to take water. Bad, I know. Just something I have never done).
It also seemed a lot quicker coming out as the last part is all downhill!. Usually less than 2 hours for the outward trip (unless I'd shot a deer, which did make things slow down a tad. Those deer do weigh a bit even when you bone them out).
But, good point you make. I hadn't allowed for age/fitness when I mentioned walking in time.
So pleased you made the effort though. Well done. It's pretty country in there.
Thanks for letting me (and fellow forum members) know about your trip.

Edited by user Friday, 2 December 2011 3:56:14 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

cavey  
Posted : Monday, 15 August 2016 6:06:18 PM(UTC)
cavey

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Just been looking at the permit web map i see some one has put in a claim on griffen creek what a bugger was one place i wanted to go stay and do a bit of panning bugger. Good luck to the the people who have put the claim in wish them well if you need a hand flick me a pm haha.