New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

kiwisouth  
Posted : Sunday, 20 November 2011 9:06:11 PM(UTC)
kiwisouth

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Groups: Registered
Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Gidday guys

Finally having some success with my detector. Got a book form the states called "The Minelab Quattro and Safari Handbook" by Andy Sabisch. My Quattro was driving me nuts, even tried to sell it but I'm please I perservered now.

Recently I found an old Yale padlock and a rust knife blade in a park next to where my kids got to gymnastics. The padlock is solid brass, heavy and made in England is stamp on the shackle.

Today I spent an hour at the A&P grounds where they have the Sunday markets. Turned the sensitivity down and only accepted $1 and $2 coins at less that 10cm. From a small area managed to find $10. No junk, no small change. So I now know what I need to do if I only have a limited time and only looking for recently lost and therefore shallow coins. Try the other side of the sheep shearing arena next weekend.

Might have to keep my detector longer now.

File Attachment(s):
Nulli Illigitimi Carborundum
nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Sunday, 20 November 2011 10:55:18 PM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 384 time(s) in 329 post(s)
very good results...that lock and knife blade do look very very old..
wtg kiwi
Chris - Fisher Dealer http://www.puiakisupply.co.nz/
kiwisouth  
Posted : Sunday, 27 November 2011 11:22:41 PM(UTC)
kiwisouth

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
New Zealand

Another visit to the A&P grounds. Again I set my Quattro for $1 and $2 coins only and dug them up if they were only shallow. Another $5 and I found a nice clasp knife next to where they do the shearing shows. I damaged the wood n the hndle and there is a bit of cleaning required but quite happy with it. Ground is getting bloooody hard now though
nzpoohbear40  
Posted : Sunday, 27 November 2011 11:25:19 PM(UTC)
nzpoohbear40

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 384 time(s) in 329 post(s)
Wtg kiwi...i will check back in a minute hoping you are loading a picture..lol...i just loaded todays finds in ashburton...i am now calling my machine a SILVERBUG instead of goldbug..lol
Chris - Fisher Dealer http://www.puiakisupply.co.nz/
kiwisouth  
Posted : Sunday, 27 November 2011 11:34:38 PM(UTC)
kiwisouth

Man
New Zealand

Haven,t taken a pic of the knife yet but will tomorrow after work. Got it soaking at the moment to give it a bit of a clean and preservation. Made in china bugggar it but still nice find and quite unexpected