New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

2 Pages<12
gavin  
Posted : Saturday, 26 November 2011 12:12:29 PM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Originally Posted by: kiwijw Go to Quoted Post

That is the beauty of a GPS. You can mark your way points. You can even leave the thing turned on while out in the field (hard on the batteries) but when you get home you can load your waypoints on to google earth & they will come up on the map exactly where you have been. If you left the GPS on while out & about in the field it will show a continuess line of all your movements from the moment you turned the thing on to the moment you turn it off.....or run out of battery. Bloody fantastic.
In the Coromandel with all its bush cover & steep gullies it is very hard to know exactly where you are in relation to a map & when you come across something like a quartz reef or rich little stringer or something of interest it is great to be able to take a waypoint. Get home & wack it up on google earth & you then can then see exactly on a real life satellite photo where you have been. Plus you can get back to the exact same spot.
So Graham it certainly would have been a great help to you. Dont you hate how those spots move on you over time. That crow bar WAS a good waypoint until you moved the bloody thing.....

JW :)

I've just been using my Android smart phone that has GPS. You can turn GPS on and when you take a photo it adds the lat lon to the photo's properties. When you're home you can just drag and drop the photo in to Google Earth - it will then zoom to the lat lon in the photo. Very handy ;)

I put the phone in air plane mode though so it doesn't interfere with the metal detector.
oroplata  
Posted : Saturday, 26 November 2011 12:51:45 PM(UTC)
oroplata

Groups: Registered, Moderators

Was thanked: 211 time(s) in 152 post(s)

Yeah. My worry is that all these companies - Apple, Google, etc, are archiving all sorts of data including where you've been with your cellphone etc etc. It's really pissing me off the amount and type of data they are collecting. All the webmasters use Google Analytics, and that allows Google to know exactly what webpage you are looking at almost all the time.

Shopping Malls are using cellphones to track how consumers move through the mall, etc etc. All opt-out, not opt-in.

I've installed Ghostery on my Mac to stop Google Analytics and other web trackers dead. My cellphone has it's location services switched off. I hate that sort of shit.

kiwijw  
Posted : Saturday, 26 November 2011 6:20:52 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Originally Posted by: oroplata Go to Quoted Post

Yeah. My worry is that all these companies - Apple, Google, etc, are archiving all sorts of data including where you've been with your cellphone etc etc. It's really pissing me off the amount and type of data they are collecting. All the webmasters use Google Analytics, and that allows Google to know exactly what webpage you are looking at almost all the time.

Shopping Malls are using cellphones to track how consumers move through the mall, etc etc. All opt-out, not opt-in.

I've installed Ghostery on my Mac to stop Google Analytics and other web trackers dead. My cellphone has it's location services switched off. I hate that sort of shit.

So......BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING our every move. DARN......I hate that shit too. Big Brother must know of a hell of a lot of good fishing spots then....LOL :)

Guardian  
Posted : Saturday, 26 November 2011 6:38:56 PM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 222 time(s) in 185 post(s)
I remember years back having satellite time and viewing car number plates, if this is declassified military equipment (almost 30 years old now) makes you wonder what they have now.
I might add it has been a long day laying pavers and I am now in a comfortable place with Mr Beam
so to try and keep on track, my finders log is a 3 litre just juice bottle slowly filling with gold coins (unfortunately of the 1 and $2 variety) *8^)

Edited by user Saturday, 26 November 2011 7:02:43 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

kiwijw  
Posted : Sunday, 27 November 2011 9:03:35 AM(UTC)
kiwijw

Originally Posted by: Guardian Go to Quoted Post
I remember years back having satellite time and viewing car number plates, if this is declassified military equipment (almost 30 years old now) makes you wonder what they have now.
I might add it has been a long day laying pavers and I am now in a comfortable place with Mr Beam
so to try and keep on track, my finders log is a 3 litre just juice bottle slowly filling with gold coins (unfortunately of the 1 and $2 variety) *8^)

LOL :):).....They will add up...dont worry :)

gavin  
Posted : Sunday, 27 November 2011 11:15:09 AM(UTC)
gavin

So......BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING our every move. DARN......I hate that shit too. Big Brother must know of a hell of a lot of good fishing spots then....LOL :)

Just as well I can't get reception when I go bush then :P
kiwijw  
Posted : Sunday, 27 November 2011 12:56:31 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Originally Posted by: gavin Go to Quoted Post

Hi Gav, So how does the GPS in your phone work then??

gavin  
Posted : Sunday, 27 November 2011 1:09:38 PM(UTC)
gavin

Originally Posted by: gavin Go to Quoted Post

Hi Gav, So how does the GPS in your phone work then??

GPS doesn't broadcast any data, just sucks it in from the satellites then triangulates your position from multiple satellite signals(?) ;)

If you're in network range though it will use cell towers as well, then you're on big brothers radar :P
oroplata  
Posted : Sunday, 27 November 2011 2:19:03 PM(UTC)
oroplata

Yep. So make sure you have "AGPS" (assisted GPS) switched off on the phone so it only uses the GPS satellites. :)

Guardian  
Posted : Wednesday, 30 November 2011 6:54:30 PM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 222 time(s) in 185 post(s)
Yes and always remember to pay cash for everything. Keep you're balaclava on and cover your rego and plates.

I wonder how exact a gps location is? Guess it would need to be accurate to the meter at least, if you were using it to map while detecting.

Edited by user Wednesday, 30 November 2011 6:56:47 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

oroplata  
Posted : Wednesday, 30 November 2011 8:49:16 PM(UTC)
oroplata

kiwijw  
Posted : Thursday, 1 December 2011 4:44:52 AM(UTC)
kiwijw

Bloody hell......you can run but you cant hide.....Stop the world.....I want to get off. LOL :)

2 Pages<12