New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

2 Pages12>
Goldnut  
Posted : Friday, 25 November 2011 11:52:00 AM(UTC)
Goldnut

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 95 time(s) in 92 post(s)
Ok so I was just checking to see how many of us out there use Finders Logs or some thing like it? So if you do use one what type do you use and do you find them useful? These can be for either detecting or mining. I use both.
Fisher F2 11DD coil, Garrett Pro-Pointer ----> My Blog: http://goldnut.blogspot.co.nz
Goldnut  
Posted : Friday, 25 November 2011 11:53:07 AM(UTC)
Goldnut

Man

I use one which is an A6 paper front and back which I can take out with me or just fill in when I get back home. I know that there are also computer types out there but I have not tried them myself.

Here is what mine looks like. I have 8 on there so that I can print them out 4 to an A4 page double sided. I have this on an excel spread sheet too if any one is interested in customizing it for their own finds. I put down the most common items that I find. I like the portion with the map as I can see exactly where I was and even but down where I found my good finds. It helps cause now that I have a better detector I can go back over where I have been before. As for my Gold fossicking one I is less complex but has the area where I was panning and whether or not to go back to that spot or not. Good for keeping track of where I have been and where to go back to.
Goldnut attached the following image(s):
Finder's Log_004.jpg
Finder's Log_005.jpg
Fisher F2 11DD coil, Garrett Pro-Pointer ----> My Blog: http://goldnut.blogspot.co.nz
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Friday, 25 November 2011 12:58:57 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Was thanked: 579 time(s) in 396 post(s)
Never did for metal detector finds and for gold mining I did for one year only - It is a pity I hadnt kept better records from my peak gold mining days as they would have made a good book, not just the gold but the places and the antics of individuals and happy times long past.
Goldnut  
Posted : Friday, 25 November 2011 1:25:42 PM(UTC)
Goldnut

Man

And I bet the book would have made you a bit of money... I know I would probably buy it.
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Friday, 25 November 2011 2:28:54 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Originally Posted by: Goldnut Go to Quoted Post
And I bet the book would have made you a bit of money... I know I would probably buy it.

Due to the statute of limitations or should I say the lack of it in this country I could not tell the full story as some of the misdemeanour's were a bit bizarre or broke some of the ridiculous rules, regulations, legalities. statutes, impositions, restrictions and bylaws that are imposed on us by the black suited, white collared criminals who in Nazi Germany would have readily jumped on the Gestapo and SS bandwagons and had their counterparts in the Kempai Tai, MI5, KGB and CIA but out here in the antipodes are called 'Civil Servants' who enforce ridiculous rules with an eagerness on behalf of their power hungry masters and who, given a little authority, impose the insane regulations with an enthusiasm which can only be likened to Hitlers minions.

Needless to say no one was ever hurt...well except me on several occasions necessitating long trips to hospital...and a good time was enjoyed by all...except me of course when things went wrong resulting in the aforementioned trips to the hospital!

You never know - I might write a book one day as there are a lot of memories and fine times with great people...which reminds me I must phone someone I know to tell him that next time he blasts a great big porcelain Confucius apart in my bloody paddock to clean up the mess later otherwise he will be as popular as a Pork Pie in a Synagogue - I think I know who it was - I think it was the same guy who once gave me a gift of a 1 litre bottle of black rum which I drank after three bottles of beer resulting in the worse gold mining trip of my lifetime and unconscious in bed for upwards of several days.

The same guy who sitting in the hut engaged me in an endearing conversation which turned into an argument over the qualities of Speights beer as compared with DB then stopped talking to me for weeks after just because I told him the truth that DB IS better! He was also the same guy who had something to do with the death of 'Alexander' a big black beetle who was walking in inane circles on the floor of the hut one night and the circumstances leading up to its untimely death - in the hut - amongst a volley of gunfire. Actually I am still worried over that due to the fact that on the judgement day I daresay that sitting behind St Peter all set to scream out "Guilty" will be more rabbits, ducks, goats, pigs than I care to admit - and one black beetle!

It did look sort of cool though - where the beetle had been one monent there was just one big hole in the floor, the beetle vapourised and dust wafting up through the hole sort of like a small slow motion twister coming up through the floor...that wasnt the end of the story but I dont consider it wise to tell the rest of it...excerpt to say that one of the fellows in the hut that evening spent the next day or two smelling like a brewery due to...never mind.

Edited by user Friday, 25 November 2011 2:54:55 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

rgmcbrid  
Posted : Friday, 25 November 2011 2:32:40 PM(UTC)
rgmcbrid

Man

Was thanked: 180 time(s) in 140 post(s)
Lammerlaw,

You just need to call it 'fiction' and you should be fine. Unless there are still open investigations going on your antics?!!
Goldnut  
Posted : Friday, 25 November 2011 2:42:01 PM(UTC)
Goldnut

Man

Lol! you could write a farce about an "unknown" fossicker making his rounds and make the Doc and other "black suite nazi's" as ridiculous as they can be. Would make for an excellent comedy... lol
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Friday, 25 November 2011 2:45:16 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

The above were just some of the good times we had and back then it was the peak of our fossicking when in one year in 25 days I got more gold in value than I did in one year as a professional - no investigations Robert so safe there - but when you are down I shall relate the full story to you of the beetle and what happened afterwards and then you might understand why I cant relate it in a book - that was actually the funniest part for me but not for one of the other guys!

Goldnut - if it was written as fiction there are many people who would readily know who, where and when!

Edited by user Friday, 25 November 2011 2:58:50 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Goldnut  
Posted : Friday, 25 November 2011 3:09:04 PM(UTC)
Goldnut

Man

No worries, stories to tell the grand-kids then. So would you say that logs are a good or bad idea then? cheers
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Friday, 25 November 2011 3:36:15 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

No worries, stories to tell the grand-kids then. So would you say that logs are a good or bad idea then? cheers

Each to their own I guess - I see it as being a personal thing just like writing a diary. If it was kept in such a way that a diary like list was made of daily finds plus an on going accumulative record so that one glance and you know how many sixpences you have found, silver sixpences, cupro nickel and so on. You would need lost of different lists unless you kept it simple and had simple lists like 'lead sinker' ' keys' 'coins - copper' 'coins - silver' 'coins - cupro nickel' 'jewellery - rings- silver' 'jewellery - rings - gold' and so on and even then you would have many categories.

At the end of a certain time you could just look at your accumulative list to see exactly what you have found or look at your accumulative list to see what weight of copper scrap you have, or the weight of lead you have.

As you can see there are many justifiable reasons for keeping such lists though once again it is personal and although I do write a daily diary, and although for one year I did keep a detailled list of gold mining trips and a record of the weight of gold I found plus and accumulative record for the year I would not worry about doing it for metal detector finds but if I found say a sovereign and to be honest I have never found a gold coin yet, I would simply mention it in my daily diary.

I did keep a cumulative record only of gold found but at about 70 ounces I gave up on it so will never ever know even approximately how much I found. A lot of gold didnt even get home like the day I was heading to one of our claims and I called to see an antique gun - the guy said that if I gave him half an ounce of gold I could have it. I remember getting home two days later with the gun as well as a couple of ounces of gold. In the end it got boring weighing it and the only time after that I did weigh it was when I got three handfuls of gold and decided to see what it came to and the time I got my biggest nugget I just had to know what it weighed.

I never kept a metal detector finds record - I just aimed to fill a 2 gallon clay crock but never did because the silver price went mad and I sold them all except for those good enough to put into my coin collection and there were a fair few in that category. The pennies and half pennies have just sort of got lost over the years but noted a few still in the crock where they have been for quarter of a century now...and more.

Edited by user Friday, 25 November 2011 3:38:18 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

madsonicboating  
Posted : Friday, 25 November 2011 5:39:26 PM(UTC)
madsonicboating

Man

Was thanked: 157 time(s) in 127 post(s)
its a shame graham...I'd buy a copy too just from reading some of ya antics in here haha!!

comon ya ol bugger...start writing :)
Shilo  
Posted : Friday, 25 November 2011 6:03:03 PM(UTC)
Shilo

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Was thanked: 285 time(s) in 185 post(s)
I did some trial runs on finders logs, both hard copy and computer based but have now just settled on a blog and spreadsheet. The main problem I found with the logs was that I am simply too lazy to keep them up. For me at least the blog and spreadsheet gives me more incentive to enter the information.

The blog allows me to record a photo and my thoughts at the time on any interesting finds. The spreadsheet keeps totals and automatically works out the worth of all the finds, great seeing it go up with the price of gold & silver. It cross references the blog for at least the gold items. http://islanddetecting.b...ng-finds-calculator.html

Yeah, come on Lammerlaw - get writing! It could work out to be another goldmine! :)

Lammerlaw  
Posted : Friday, 25 November 2011 6:10:04 PM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Originally Posted by: Shilo Go to Quoted Post
I did some trial runs on finders logs, both hard copy and computer based but have now just settled on a blog and spreadsheet. The main problem I found with the logs was that I am simply too lazy to keep them up. For me at least the blog and spreadsheet gives me more incentive to enter the information.

The blog allows me to record a photo and my thoughts at the time on any interesting finds. The spreadsheet keeps totals and automatically works out the worth of all the finds, great seeing it go up with the price of gold & silver. It cross references the blog for at least the gold items. http://islanddetecting.b...ng-finds-calculator.html

Yeah, come on Lammerlaw - get writing! It could work out to be another goldmine! :)

I am totally allergic to writing and only tickle the keyboard because it is still a novelty which will wear off before too long I assure you and at the moment I seem to have too much time on my hands which has been brought on by two factors; - 1) an inherent lazy streak which prevents me from doing anything constructive 2) its against my religious principles to work unless it is something I like doing - and the only thing I like doing is hunting, fishing, certain nefarious activity which when you get older requires medicinal assistance and goldmining and as far as the latter is concerned I an simply waiting until the weather fines up!

Edited by user Saturday, 26 November 2011 9:55:18 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

kiwijw  
Posted : Friday, 25 November 2011 10:40:39 PM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Ok so I was just checking to see how many of us out there use Finders Logs or some thing like it? So if you do use one what type do you use and do you find them useful? These can be for either detecting or mining. I use both.

Hi Guys, I just keep my little black book with me & jot down notes when out in the field & a record of what I find, weight, what coil I was using, what the weather was like, the area I was in. I carry a GPS & make waypoints of the spots where finds were made & way points of things of interest, geological, historical, old workings etc so that I am able to get back to & do further tests or searching in those areas.

Happy hunting

JW :)
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Saturday, 26 November 2011 12:08:42 AM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Originally Posted by: kiwijw Go to Quoted Post

Hi Guys, I just keep my little black book with me & jot down notes when out in the field & a record of what I find, weight, what coil I was using, what the weather was like, the area I was in. I carry a GPS & make waypoints of the spots where finds were made & way points of things of interest, geological, historical, old workings etc so that I am able to get back to & do further tests or searching in those areas.

Happy hunting

Interesting things a GPS - if I had one many years ago I might not have the quandary I created.

A friend once told me where a large crow bar marked the site of what is supposed to be a specimen reef with a narrow vein of quartz but containing good specimen gold. I went looking for the crow bar and found it on the edge of a hole which had been dug and which had crumbled quartz and grit around the edges - I took great visual bearings of the site and knowing full well that my friend would find it when he wanted to and so would I - I removed the crow bar and took it to my hut and put it under the floor where it lies to this day.

It would have been a good ten years before I decided to get serious about the spot and went to have a prospect - but have never found the spot again...I know exactly where it is, I remember the scenery surrounding the hole perfectly well, I remember how far away the tussock gave way to bog type plants - but the exact spot just simply isnt where I left it!

There is a wee bit more to this story but to say any more might not make me popular as there is one other clue which I have learnt since from the same friend as the result of a discovery he made and which I have checked out and maybe this year I just might go have a look...if the friend in question does sees this and I am sure he will then dont worry you will always be included if I happened to come across anything.
kiwisouth  
Posted : Saturday, 26 November 2011 7:11:05 AM(UTC)
kiwisouth

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Guys, quite tempted to just print off all of Lammerlaw's wee dittys and get it bound. I'm sure it will be a good seller down at the market. And who's the other chap with the great stories???? Mmmmm, feel a plan coming on haha
Nulli Illigitimi Carborundum
Lammerlaw  
Posted : Saturday, 26 November 2011 9:59:11 AM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Originally Posted by: kiwisouth Go to Quoted Post
Guys, quite tempted to just print off all of Lammerlaw's wee dittys and get it bound. I'm sure it will be a good seller down at the market. And who's the other chap with the great stories???? Mmmmm, feel a plan coming on haha

The other fellow? Hes more withdrawn than I am when it comes to saying anything so hes the guy who reads what you say, hes the guy who takes it all in and hes also the guy who doesnt say anything - he is also one of the earliest gold dredging miners in the country and most successful...and as soon as he sees this he will be up to knock my block off!
oroplata  
Posted : Saturday, 26 November 2011 10:36:23 AM(UTC)
oroplata

Groups: Registered, Moderators

Was thanked: 211 time(s) in 152 post(s)

I was thinking of log keeping this morning while lying in bed deciding whether it was time to get up yet.

I came up with the idea of just printing out an aerial view of the area I've decided to target that day and just x the spots and write down what came out onto the map.

kiwijw  
Posted : Saturday, 26 November 2011 11:28:52 AM(UTC)
kiwijw

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 324 post(s)
Originally Posted by: oroplata Go to Quoted Post

I was thinking of log keeping this morning while lying in bed deciding whether it was time to get up yet.

I came up with the idea of just printing out an aerial view of the area I've decided to target that day and just x the spots and write down what came out onto the map.

That is the beauty of a GPS. You can mark your way points. You can even leave the thing turned on while out in the field (hard on the batteries) but when you get home you can load your waypoints on to google earth & they will come up on the map exactly where you have been. If you left the GPS on while out & about in the field it will show a continuess line of all your movements from the moment you turned the thing on to the moment you turn it off.....or run out of battery. Bloody fantastic.
In the Coromandel with all its bush cover & steep gullies it is very hard to know exactly where you are in relation to a map & when you come across something like a quartz reef or rich little stringer or something of interest it is great to be able to take a waypoint. Get home & wack it up on google earth & you then can then see exactly on a real life satellite photo where you have been. Plus you can get back to the exact same spot.
So Graham it certainly would have been a great help to you. Dont you hate how those spots move on you over time. That crow bar WAS a good waypoint until you moved the bloody thing.....

Lammerlaw  
Posted : Saturday, 26 November 2011 11:59:21 AM(UTC)
Lammerlaw

Originally Posted by: kiwijw Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: oroplata Go to Quoted Post

That is the beauty of a GPS. You can mark your way points. You can even leave the thing turned on while out in the field (hard on the batteries) but when you get home you can load your waypoints on to google earth & they will come up on the map exactly where you have been. If you left the GPS on while out & about in the field it will show a continuess line of all your movements from the moment you turned the thing on to the moment you turn it off.....or run out of battery. Bloody fantastic.
In the Coromandel with all its bush cover & steep gullies it is very hard to know exactly where you are in relation to a map & when you come across something like a quartz reef or rich little stringer or something of interest it is great to be able to take a waypoint. Get home & wack it up on google earth & you then can then see exactly on a real life satellite photo where you have been. Plus you can get back to the exact same spot.
So Graham it certainly would have been a great help to you. Dont you hate how those spots move on you over time. That crow bar WAS a good waypoint until you moved the bloody thing.....

At least I have an old crow bar! I am not certain when it was placed there but the site was known in the early days and in latter times shown to another fellow who in turn told my friend so it could be said that my friend is the third generation to know about it 100 years or more down the track. Not far away from the site and in the creek many years ago I did picked up a nugget which was crystalline in appearance, shattered and not worn in the least and also within about three hundred yards another site yielded nuggets from a spot where soil was being removed for a dam apparently...about two to three miles away my son has got small nuggets with my old minelab detector out of the clay bank at elevation about 2500 foot above sea level.
2 Pages12>