New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

2 Pages<12
gingerbreadman  
Posted : Tuesday, 27 July 2010 4:31:56 PM(UTC)
gingerbreadman

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 74 post(s)
thers a "submitted" prospecting permit along the beach at rakaia and also 1 up the wilberforce river so could be worth a look...in between... iv never been ther maybe some of these other guys could fill you in weather itd be worth your wile or not...?
criticol  
Posted : Wednesday, 28 July 2010 12:22:03 PM(UTC)
criticol

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 48 post(s)
Hi Guys.
Sorry about the old expert joke, : ) : )
(Don’t forget though that I sort of class myself in there somewhere too!)

Wow, Susan, what a great response from the guys. (Thanks fellers.)

Its great to see a helpful Forum in action, instead of a lot of self serving persons being all for themselves.

Cheers---Colin.

gavin  
Posted : Wednesday, 28 July 2010 3:07:52 PM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Well, it's kind of self-serving for me... I just find it's more fun having partners in crime on fossicking adventures :P
criticol  
Posted : Wednesday, 28 July 2010 3:26:03 PM(UTC)
criticol

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 48 post(s)
Hi Gavin.

Yes, I guess it could be sort "Self serving" if you get something from its pages that`s usefull to you.

With the difference of course being,
That you not in it, "All for yourself", are you. : )

Cheers---Colin.
SusanP  
Posted : Thursday, 29 July 2010 2:20:57 PM(UTC)
SusanP

Woman

Hello all, yes Gavin a coffee and story swap would be much appreciated, there might be other Christchurch fossickers who would like to come along too,is it the done thing to give cell numbers here? Maybe I'm getting confused with trade me :)
Yes I have had a very welcoming response from everyone Colin, it's very encouraging and much appreciated. So a fossicking/camping trip in November is very much on the cards.
As for the the Wilberforce River I read Mona Anderson's books on the area and the were several parties of miners trying their hand up there over the years but always ended up abandoning the sites, I'm sure the book said they found nothing, but I'm not sure if that means nothing comercially viable or absolutely zilch. Might look into that further. It's frustrating that there is no good fossicking less than a few hours drive from Chch. As for fine gold on our beaches, I'd give that a go anyway since I'm a beginner and keen for anything.
Gav let me know when you want to meet for a yarn, I'm in Hillmorton, what part of town are you? Zeroes cafe near PM Hospital is a good spot for a cuppa.
gavin  
Posted : Thursday, 29 July 2010 2:48:09 PM(UTC)
gavin

Hi Susan, the more the merrier but I'm not sure if there's any other Chch fossickers on these forums - can't think of anyone off the top of my head.

Probably best to exchange numbers via the Private Message options - I'll send you mine in a mo.

I'm actually over in Avonside, but work in the centre of town at the moment. Could always meet for a coffee centrally somewhere?

Regarding locations - lots of time to come up with a plan if you fancy a trip in Nov. Just got some books out from the library to do a bit of research. I've read about the Wilberforce River too, I also remember reading that they were finding very fine gold at Birdlings Flats way back too but the returns were very poor. Sounds like the best chances of finding gold are all a bit further away :(

Gav :)
SusanP  
Posted : Monday, 16 August 2010 2:21:10 PM(UTC)
SusanP

Woman

Hello everyone, been lying low for a while but nosing about in other posts anyway. I was away in the Marlborough sounds in the weekend with a bunch of friends fishing and telling stories etc, caught up with my friend Tim who said he had been building a dairy shed near Bell Hill on the coast near Lake Brunner. The local publican had found a good sized nugget around there somewhere, just off the road in the local creek or river, apparently he's more than happy to tell anyone about it, good custom for the pub I suppose. So anyone heard good things about Bell Hill? Gav maybe we should consider it for the Big Adventure itinerary?
gavin  
Posted : Tuesday, 17 August 2010 2:47:23 AM(UTC)
gavin

Could be worth popping in for a pint and finding out ;)

I'm actually quite keen on your original suggestion - trying out Moonlight Creek. There's an old derelict dredge at the bottom I wouldn't mind going to see as well as seen a photo in a book kiwijw recommended - quite an old book now so curious to see what is left after all these years.

It's marked on the LINZ topo map:
http://www.topomap.co.nz/TopoMap?v=1&x=0.263879860969995&y=0.6233594561939612&z=239.5265683268383

Edited by user Saturday, 21 August 2010 11:18:29 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Corrected map link so dredge showed in center

jockdall  
Posted : Tuesday, 17 August 2010 12:53:54 PM(UTC)
jockdall

Man

hi susan, i too am a beginer, not much of a clue at this stage ,i hear your planning a trip in the near future ?! if there is any room id love to go along to.

alan
have a great day
SusanP  
Posted : Tuesday, 17 August 2010 1:54:00 PM(UTC)
SusanP

Woman

Gavin that link made my laptop crash twice!!
I see our great adventure is attracting followers, hope there's enough gold there to go around.
Pleased you are keen on Moonlight Creek, it was my first choice when I started looking around these sites, but I think it was the name that really grabbed me.
By the way can I ask you an IT question? My eamils are playing up (maybe I've inadvertantly changed a setting)and internet links from emails aren't working. help!
gavin  
Posted : Tuesday, 17 August 2010 4:45:23 PM(UTC)
gavin

Hi Susan,

Bizarre - link should not have caused laptop to crash! I wonder if it's related to your email playing up?! Got an up to date anti-virus installed and latest Windows updates?

I use the free Avira AntiVir Personal myself - http://www.free-av.com/

Bit hard to diagnose what might be going on without having your laptop in front of me. If it's still mis-behaving could always pop it around one weekend and I'll take a look.

Gavin :)
SusanP  
Posted : Wednesday, 18 August 2010 5:23:03 PM(UTC)
SusanP

Woman

Might have to take you up on that Gav, I'm sure it's something I've done but I don't know where to look to fix it. I've just installed Office 2010, it's all very pretty but I'm still getting used to it.

So Alan are you keen to come fossicking with us? That's all good, hopefully we'll have some beginners luck. I'm hoping my brother might come along for the trip too, just depends on his work.

Hopefully the weather will be a bit better by then too....

justjoe  
Posted : Friday, 10 September 2010 8:14:30 AM(UTC)
justjoe

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
gavin wrote:
Hi Susan,

Didn't realise you were in Christchurch! Forget peoples location is shown - doh. Want to catch up for a coffee sometime and chuck some ideas around? I'd probably be game in Nov.

Regarding beach gold - going to be very fine stuff? Think I'd prefer to try my luck a little more inland myself ;)

Cheers,
Gav :)

Hello Susan, Hey Gavin, A mate of mine in Alexandra, Rob, has shown me a little bit of the garnet sand that accumulates at the Rakaia river mouth (or the waimakariri, i forget it was a while ago..) and it was pretty brown and boring, until you go microscopic, man there was plenty under 20X magnification, but nowt to the eye!! Rob had hoped to professionally mine the gold in the garnet sand, but it aint quite viable, yet. It's there I tell you, just REALLY REALLY small!!
Joe
gavin  
Posted : Sunday, 12 September 2010 5:27:22 AM(UTC)
gavin

Cheers Joe, sounds like you'd need to break out the mercury! Think I'd prefer the size of nuggets you don't need a microscope to show your friends :P
SusanP  
Posted : Wednesday, 15 September 2010 3:58:21 PM(UTC)
SusanP

Woman

Hello Joe, my nephew and I think we found a tiny flake near the Ashburton mouth but lost it before we could get it home to the microscope, all good clean fun and keeps the kids amused. But like Gav I'm hoping for something a little chunkier than a microscopic flake!! Very interseting to know it's there though, isn't it a funny old wrld we live in....
I will definitely keep my eye out for some good dark patches of sand though and see what it hides.....
SusanP  
Posted : Sunday, 3 October 2010 11:12:28 AM(UTC)
SusanP

Woman

Hello there everyone, Steve I gather you were keen for a camping/fossicking trip?? Gav and I are set to take the coast by storm over Chch show weekend (around 12 Nov) do you think you could meet up with us for that? Not sure who else is in our neck of the woods and may want to come, but would be a good chance to meet and swap stories.
When I've mentioned this gold thing to my friends they think I'm mad and laugh it off saying I'll never find anything, I'm out to prove them wrong. We'll see who's laughing when I drive home from the coast in my gold plated convertable Jag with solid gold tyres and steering wheel, but perhaps I'm getting ahead of myself...
I'm off to Turkey next week so won't be poking around on Paydirt for a while but please leave a message if you think you could catch up with us on the coast, be great to put a face to the name,

happy fossicking to you, happy trails to me:)

Edited by user Tuesday, 9 November 2010 11:33:06 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

nathanial  
Posted : Monday, 21 February 2011 5:34:50 AM(UTC)
nathanial

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I haven't been to bell hill myself,(yet) in a book by W.F Heinz prospecting for gold, it mentions coarse shotty gold.

nathanial
chrischch  
Posted : Wednesday, 28 August 2013 7:40:09 PM(UTC)
chrischch

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 104 post(s)
Just a bump to remind us all how much good info is shared in here. Wish there was more gold related posts......maybe Spring will change that. I'm off to the coast this week(end) for a few days I think. Time to poach Goldstalkers spots. ;)

Havnt heard from Kiwikeith for a while.....miss his interesting posts about what he finds on his travels....where are you Keith?
Fisher Goldbug Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Propointer.
Guardian  
Posted : Wednesday, 28 August 2013 7:47:11 PM(UTC)
Guardian

Man
New Zealand

Was thanked: 222 time(s) in 185 post(s)
Unfortunately I think many have taken a step back. Still there is plenty of fresh blood coming through which is good to see, even if it makes me feel old.... In fact crap I just realized how old I am....I forget that sometimes and I'm not at an age where I should be forgetting things.

Yes I also hope Spring brings some of the other fellas back.
Posted : Tuesday, 3 September 2013 10:17:27 PM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Message was deleted by a Moderator. | Reason: Not specified
2 Pages<12