New Zealand Gold Prospecting & Metal Detecting Forums Archive

The forum has moved to community.paydirt.co.nz, see you there!

This forum is now an archive to preserve the knowledge and finds posted here.

2 Pages12>
SusanP  
Posted : Sunday, 18 July 2010 4:22:48 PM(UTC)
SusanP

Groups: Registered
Woman

Hello there, I'm new to this gold fossicking thing, I've always wanted to spend a week on the coast panning for gold but had no idea there were public fossicking areas available. So now I've bought a pan and a sniffer and think that I'm going to make my fortune, but after reading of all the stories and all the gear I've realised I'm probably just dreaming... So it it possible to find gold just panning in a fossicking area? I'm still very keen to give it a go, I'm planning to head to Moonlight Creek when the weather is warmer, but maybe I need to be more prepared than I thought! Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, I don't want my first big gold adventure to be a big flop :)

thanks, S
gavin  
Posted : Sunday, 18 July 2010 4:36:00 PM(UTC)
gavin

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Was thanked: 535 time(s) in 287 post(s)
Hi Susan,

You'll find some for sure but it will most likely be little flakes - so don't expect to retire from it ;) If you get down to black sand in your pan then that's a good sign. At first I was chucking this away until someone pointed out that if you look carefully you'll often find a few flakes hiding under the heavy iron sand grains.

But you never know - you might get lucky and find a nugget with some beginners luck! It does happen!

I've never been to Moonlight Creek - let us know how you get on.

Best of luck - hope you find some colours,
Gavin :)
criticol  
Posted : Wednesday, 21 July 2010 12:00:30 PM(UTC)
criticol

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 48 post(s)

Hello SusanP.

Apologies for the lack of interest in your request. (apart from Gavins)
I myself have been slightly busy on other matters, but I’ll try to offer a few tips?

Susan, When you first go to the waters edge in a river, “DO NOT” just grab a bowlful of the first gravel you see---study the rivers flow, and any “Solid” type of exposed rocks (bedrock) that sticks out or protrudes into the waters like a “Sheet” of plywood, or a larger area of this exposed ground area.
Try to prospect the area of this bedrock that forms on the “Convex” (Inner Apex) of the river if possible, and try to obtain your gravels from the “Upstream” curve end of this bedrock exposure.
(Also “NOT” forgetting to get this gravel as “CLOSE” to the bedrock as you can, this even means that you should “Scrape” out as much as you can of any gravels that are packed into the bedrock, so take along a couple of old “Screwdrivers” (small and larger) for this purpose, and scrape as deep into them as you can.
Put all this gravel into your pan and reduce the amount down by Panning” (Washing) it in a place that has a stillish water flow. (A pool is good.)
I note that you intend to get a sniffer/snuffer bottle, use this to extract all the gravel in these cracks that is sort of inaccessible to scraping, even if you have to pour a bit of water into the crack to achieve this purpose.
That should get you started, and if you cross your fingers too, you should hopefully see your first Raw gold, that been gathered by your own hands!

Cheers---Colin.

P.S. If???? you should get a huge nugget!!!cut a bit of and send it to me. :)

SusanP  
Posted : Thursday, 22 July 2010 2:19:09 PM(UTC)
SusanP

Woman

Thanks very much Gavin and Colin for your advice, it will be a while before I get over to the coast to give it a go but at least I've got plenty of time to swot up on some tips. Do either of you know what the camp ground is like there, most importantly does it have good loos? I can put up with cold, rain, sand flies, camp food and a half flat air bed and any other down side to camping, but long drops are just too much:)
And yes I'm definitely hoping for some beginners luck.

Will keep an eye out for any other tips on this site, its very interesting reading and the photos are great

S
gavin  
Posted : Thursday, 22 July 2010 2:39:42 PM(UTC)
gavin

I've not been to Moonlight Creek but the other ones I've visited on the west coast did:

Slab Hut Creek
Shamrock Creek
Jones Creek
Lyell Creek (nice campsite too!)

So I guess there's a good chance of decent loos.

Gav :)

Edited by user Thursday, 22 July 2010 2:41:01 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

criticol  
Posted : Thursday, 22 July 2010 3:47:24 PM(UTC)
criticol

Hi SusanP.
Just in case you get disappointed on your first ever fossicking trip to the “Moonlight”.
I am going to tell you something that I have never mentioned to any other person, because I thought at the time (years and years ago) that it might be a slightly illegal thing to do.

On reflection over the years though, I guess it isn’t, as the gravels supplied for the public to pan in (for a fee) by the panning proprietors of,(Say) a place like “Shantytown” or the others,are put in the troughs for you to get as much gold from as you can.
(these gravels are usually left over stuff from their own sluicing claims that they recycle it to get a few more $$$$ from the waste from the sorting tables, or the sluice box.)

O.K. here’s the plan that I followed, but now that its published for all to see, you might have to be quick if they should read this and change their system.)

What I did, was to take a small “Sniffer” type bottle into these places, pay the fee, and go panning, with the difference being that if you observe these panning troughs you will see that they are usually 44 gallon drums that have been cut in half lengthwise, with 2 to3 grooves running around them, (well they used to be.) No matter, they will still have seams or whatever at each end.
Your mission is to realize that all the people that have panned in them previously have “Concentrated” most of the gold that these tailing originally contained into these grooves or seams.
The rest of the mission is to deflate your Sniffer bottle stick it under the water "Hard" up against the bottom of the groove, and then vacuum up the concentrated lower gravels from these grooves, or seams at the sides of the trough,(and all the gold) into the sniffer bottle.
Empty this lot into your pan, and pan it down to a small (hopefully rich) little quantity.
Empty into your gold holding container, and laugh as you leave. :) :)
It might just pay for your trip.

Cheers---Colin.

P.S. Bet you never knew about this one Gavin?

x-terra steve  
Posted : Thursday, 22 July 2010 4:37:12 PM(UTC)
x-terra steve

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Hi SusanP,

Some info on the Moonlight that might be of use to you.

The main car park, camp site which is at Andersons Flat is ten kms off the main road.It is all unsealed,faily easy going in a two wheel drive.
There is no facilitys at all there.
The army boys do go in there to carry out exercises there so you might want to check with the local defence to make sure the road is open.
Moonlight is a great spot and there can be good gold found.
This time of the year is hard going a lot of ice over the rocks, you can find yourself on your backside very quickly.

The best spot to go;;
Park at Andersons Flat,
Head off onto the main track (cant miss it)carry on the track for around 15 minutes.
On the left of the track you will see a fairly large silp which spillls a little onto the main walking track that you are on ( silp size about six meters high and 10 meters long).
Opposite the slip you will see a small track that will take you down the the river ( track is only about fourty meters long).
Turn right at the river head down stream about twenty meters and you will soon see the diggings.
REmember that you are not allowed to be digging into the bank only in the active river bed,
The gold in the photo was found with me detector in one of the diggings in the bank.
Over the summer mounths DOC are up there quite a bit,they even buzz up and down the river in a chopper to keep an eye on things ( hard to hear when you have got a pair of headfones on!)
If you do head up there in the colder months it would be wise to take a friend.
Cheers Steve

File Attachment(s):
gavin  
Posted : Thursday, 22 July 2010 4:46:19 PM(UTC)
gavin

Nice nuggets Steve - might have to try the spot myself!

Edited by user Thursday, 22 July 2010 4:47:19 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

x-terra steve  
Posted : Thursday, 22 July 2010 4:54:36 PM(UTC)
x-terra steve

Medals: Donation: Made a donation helping cover the running costs of the site - thank you :)

Man

HI Gavin,
cheers for that,
I would be keen for a trip there and maybe a few others would want to join us,It is a great spot in the summer with some good swimming,big trout to be caught and a chance to find the big one.
Take care
Steve
criticol  
Posted : Thursday, 22 July 2010 5:05:07 PM(UTC)
criticol

Hi Steve,Gavin.
Whats happening?
When I click on Steves file attachments, all I get is this Message:

Please do not link directly to this resource. You must have a session in the forum.

??? what does that mean???

Cheers---Colin.

Edited by user Monday, 7 March 2011 1:13:30 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

gavin  
Posted : Thursday, 22 July 2010 5:15:20 PM(UTC)
gavin

Hi Colin, attachments worked ok for me. Maybe try refreshing the web page - does that help?
criticol  
Posted : Thursday, 22 July 2010 5:31:43 PM(UTC)
criticol

Hi Gavin.

I just did a restart, followed by a refresh too.
seems O.K. now. Sorry!

Cheers Colin.
gavin  
Posted : Friday, 23 July 2010 1:33:13 AM(UTC)
gavin

No worries Colin - being a 'puter geek by trade I'm used to these sort of problems ;)
SusanP  
Posted : Monday, 26 July 2010 3:04:54 PM(UTC)
SusanP

Woman

Hello everybody,thanks so much for the advice, had to laugh at the sniffer bottle/shanty town idea. The advice, stories, pictures, encouragement and banter is hugely appreciated. I think I may invest in a chemical loo before any big adventure over there, was hoping to stay a week and take my dog for company but maybe no dogs allowed if it's a DOC area?
If any of you chaps are planning a group trip over there and could put up with a well intentioned beginner, who will probably ask too many questions, please let me know.

S

ps keep the stories coming :)
criticol  
Posted : Monday, 26 July 2010 3:57:57 PM(UTC)
criticol

Hi Susan.

There you go!
Hook up with Gavin and Steve for a trip, their the experts! and should be able to show you a thing or two.

Do you know the definition of an expert? (exspurt)
"A dripping tap thats been fixed"! :):)

I`m sure if you approached nicely, them they`d be obliging.(would`nt you guys? as it seems like she`s been bush before.)

Cheers---Colin.
x-terra steve  
Posted : Tuesday, 27 July 2010 3:09:42 AM(UTC)
x-terra steve

Man

Hi guys,
thanks for the kind words Colin,
SusanP the Moonlight is a Dog free area as Kiwi live there,well thats what they tell us.
On saying that I do quite oftern see dogs up there.
The best chemical loo you can get is about 100 meters into the bush,Colin had a few good tips on that.
If at some stage any of you want to head up that way we can get some thing sorted.
Cheers
Steve
gavin  
Posted : Tuesday, 27 July 2010 4:50:30 AM(UTC)
gavin

I by no means consider myself an expert by any stretch of the imagination. But I do have the toys and am always up for a mini-adventure. So if you want a partner in crime, give me a shout. Always find it more fun when out in the bush with a buddy :)
Jim  
Posted : Tuesday, 27 July 2010 7:13:13 AM(UTC)
Jim

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Thought I would mention that Jones Creek has some good facilities since it is in the Ross township; Jones Creek is where New Zealands largest gold nugget was ever found; 99oz in an area that had already been worked; quite a long time ago though.

The Empire Hotel is the place to stay and it's dog friendly; the Brownes have a lovely old pub there with good meals and the best homemade pies in NZ, and you can stay inside the tavern or hire cabins out the back which have facilities like communal kitchen and ablution block; good West Coast prices too. The Roddy Nugget cafe is worth checking out as well; Paddy and Karen are great hosts.

Edited by user Thursday, 29 July 2010 9:19:35 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

SusanP  
Posted : Tuesday, 27 July 2010 1:39:02 PM(UTC)
SusanP

Woman

Right then you lot, what are you doing Christchurch Show Weekend in November? Let's go on an adventure, hopefully weather won't be to bad for camping then. I love camping and have plenty of gear but please allow me one girly comfort - a chemical loo in a nice little tent :)
I'm off to Turkey in October for an adventure but would be up for a small trip before that if possible. Most exciting gold spots seems a wee way from Chch though, is there anywhere through the Arthurs Pass worth a look? Or the idea of the Rangitata or Rakaia beaches is surprising, has any one tried that? I grew up near the Rangitata river, spent a lot of weekends whitebaiting and fishing down there. Just for interests sake are there any beaches in NZ where gold was found in quantity? Or maybe we just haven't found it yet.....

S
gavin  
Posted : Tuesday, 27 July 2010 4:20:04 PM(UTC)
gavin

Hi Susan,

Didn't realise you were in Christchurch! Forget peoples location is shown - doh. Want to catch up for a coffee sometime and chuck some ideas around? I'd probably be game in Nov.

Regarding beach gold - going to be very fine stuff? Think I'd prefer to try my luck a little more inland myself ;)

Cheers,
Gav :)

Edited by user Tuesday, 27 July 2010 4:21:55 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

2 Pages12>